Honda MSX125 Grom

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Crow, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

For those that want to sit like a chair, put their feet on floorboards, and not shift thru the gears, there are lots of scooters out there. For those that want the nimbleness of a scooter while having something more engaging to ride, and look tons "cooler" while doing it, there's the Grom. No it isn't for everyone, but neither is a scooter. And not everyone that rides is over 6' feet tall and weighs over 200 lbs either. There are lots of people, women for example, that want to learn to ride but have trouble with most things on the market today due to size. And then there are those like me, smaller guy, can and does ride anything he likes, but wouldn't be caught dead on a "scooter"... :lol3 If I were in the market for a motorhome/camp bike, or I lived in an urban environment where a scooter would be suitable, I would definitely be in the market. And if they would make this bike in 250-300cc capacity so that it would be more road capable, I might be even more in the market as a trainer for my wife/daughters. Small, nimble bikes can have a lot of appeal if you have the right application for one in your lifestyle.

:1drink
  2. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the Buell Blast.

nlp
  3. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't that be said of most bikes? Why do people mod any bike when there are usually more powerful, faster ones available off the showroom floor. Look at the Ninja 300R thread for example. Why did I take a stock HD 48 and modify the suspension to make it ride and corner better? Why do I want it to make more power than stock? There are tons of bikes already built that have much more power and handle far better.

I think it's just part of what some of us that ride do. :D And part of it is that we want a specific set of characteristics that isn't available straight from the factory, so we build something to be more of what we want it to be. In this case, maybe some of us aren't really looking for frugal transport. Maybe we see the potential for a small, light weight, nimble little hooligan runabout. Yeah! If this thing just put out a little more power... :clap

:1drink
  4. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Only much, much more funner.

The Grom is made of concentrated AWESOME. Dilute with gasoline to provide hours of enjoyment.
  7. Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the perfect replacement for the CT110 I just sold. A little bigger, a little more powerful and with modern brakes and FI. I might have to figure out a way to buy one. Looks like a fun commuter. I want to see some one kit it out like those adventure postie bikes.
  8. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    So is this the official Grom thread? I'm trying to jump in, but I've found a bunch of threads in other categories and they seem to be getting moved (lost.) I'll just cross post here anyway!

9. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread really is taking off :rofl

-Jake
  10. Berto

Berto Inherently Floridian Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally, an interesting bike from Honda. the end must be near:lol3
  11. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    There seem to be 2 main ones, this one and the one in Battle scooters.
  12. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, since the Grom isn't really a scooter, and is technically a street legal motorcycle, this one is obviously the "RIGHT" one.... :D
  13. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has a manual shift 4 speed gearbox and is made of equal parts WIN and WHEELIE:wink:

A scooter it is not.

-Jake
  14. Jimmy the Heater

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with you on that. Manual shift and no step through, not a scooter.

However with the smaller wheels and size it appeals to the scooter rider that might not visit the road warrior forum all that much.

Easy solution, have both! Tho I think one in thumpers too would be a bit much, even though it does qualify.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

Granted... And I can honestly say that I've never even peeked into the scooter forum... :puke1

:lol3

But, I can see it having appeal to that crowd since its uses can be very similar. Still seems more like a diminutive motorcycle to me though. Maybe they shoulda called it a "Crossover".... :D
  16. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you've done it :lol3

-Jake
  17. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    I'm the OP for this thread in Road Warriors, and was surprised and pleased when I saw it take off with news of availability in NA. I'm really getting excited about the moto, seriously considering putting down a deposit. Plus, I'm normally not much into modifications, but this exhaust revs me up!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rzfe0FS5GWE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A write up of guy on my forum of first week of ownership!

Mike Carpenter

Tomorrow will be 1 week and 300 miles of MSX ownership for me...
    ...And things are looking up
    I was quite disappointed when I eventually got home last Friday with my new bike. A combination of hard seat, new engine and extreme weather didn't live up to the leisurely cruise through the rolling Welsh hills in the sunshine that I had been dreaming of since mid-February when I paid my deposit!
    So here we are a week and nearly 300 miles later. The engine is loosening up nicely - after 100 miles it became a lot more responsive and smooth and I'm sure that will only improve. The seat seems to be softening up, although I haven't done any... epic tours on it as yet. I love the exhaust note as I'm cruising along - they got that spot on I would say. The seating position is very upright, but I would say my legs are a bit too long for the bike - my knees don't fit in the knee pads unless I push myself back in the seat. I did move the bars forward when I got the bike so that is maybe why but before I moved them they hit my knees and reduced the turning circle so I didn't have much choice. I removed the pillion strap because it was where I sat and was uncomfortable, but I still have to consciously push myself back so my knees are ok - I think I need to play about with the bars a bit. As far as gearing is concerned - it is spot on for me with my 16 stone and the steep hills here. Good acceleration for around town but maybe a bit low for touring. Other folks in the flatlands might decide to drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. Mine is running 6000rpm at 50mph to give you an idea. 7000rpm is 60mph. Fuel economy has improved on the second fill up - 118mpg vs 100mpg for the first tank. The handling is very smooth and predictable - very much like a bigger bike, which I like. By comparison the Gorilla often left me feeling like I'd done a lap of the TT when I got in to work in the morning. This is just smooth and civilised. I'm very happy so far!:rofl

19. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun at a Honda Fun Day event with MSX125 Class.

I'm in my 40's and can't help but think renting a little Kart Track with these would be a great Birthday party idea. Better than a bouncy castle?

:norton :norton :norton :norton

http://youtu.be/kN7IUXep8jY

Cross posted in Battle Scooters thread also.
  20. Jimmy the Heater

Oddometer:
    Ok...that clip makes it sound like a 450 mx'er.....Damn!