O'Neil Element Boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TomN, Nov 4, 2005.

1. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. tigrebleau

tigrebleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of O'Neal Element boots for $89 from New Enough last year and have about 1500 off-road miles on them. They've been totally submerged and filled with water twice and dragged through inumerable NJ Pine Barrens brambles, and they've saved me from at least 2 serious sprains and a potential broken ankle (foot too far off the peg and caught by a root and turned 90 degrees instantly). They're still in good shape. Never had a problem with the buckles (some occassional WD40 helps); besides replacement buckles are cheap and available. They do soften up after a few uses and now are comfortable enough for all-day dirt rides and walking when you need to. Unless you have a need to spend a lot more money, I think they'd work well for you.
  3. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of those. Everyone seems to complain about them. You know though, I still wear mine on occasion. They broke in pretty fast, especially if you wade through water, as they have no waterproof ability that I can tell. They are a bit of a challenge to off/on. I have since begun ordering my boots a little larger than normal.

The buckles aren't as easy to adjust as the kind which you simply scrunch together. I have some ARC220 boots ($159 at rocky) and they are a very bulky MX type of boot. I'm still breaking them in, it's hard, and I find myself switching back and forth until I get used to them. My main reason whas to increase my protection. I recognized after I slipped off a peg that feet are in a precarious position and it scared the hell out of me how fast bad things can happen.
  4. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought them as starter boots because I didn't want to invest a lot of money in case I ended up not liking riding off road. Mine are too loose in the ankle area now and I have replaced them. I think just a step up to the Fox tracker is a better bet. Somebody else mentioned NewEnough MX and I second that. My new boots came from them, Alpinestar Vectors. I'm much happier about the fit and ankle support. Plus the sole is contoured enough to allow walking.
  5. zippy

zippy Southside of the Sun

Oddometer:
    Do not have experience with the O'Niels but..... same price range is the MSR world tour - kind of a cheaper version of Aerostichs CBTs . Bought mine for off road use but have used them on road many times. Just another consideration .
  6. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden thousands of miles offroad with the elements. They are cheap boots and it shows. I used them for 2+ years before upgrading to my tech 8s. It's a world of difference....I got the tech 8s new on ebay for $150. It was WELL worth the extra $50 and I expect them to last several years
  7. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Boots like the Element and the other $100ish boots are a huge step up protection wise from hiking boots or high tops etc. And for the money the are great entry level boots, but they are just that, entry level.

As others here have noted they break in/soften up quick, which is great comfort wise, but don't forget they are losing thier support as they do this....which is why you bought them in the first place!

These boots have thier place as a low cost alternative to street shoes, and even after breaking in still offer more support I'm sure, BUT if you're serious about the sport I'd really suggest considering spending $100-$200 more for some real protection. These cheaper boots kind of remind me of open face helmets, miles better than no helmet at all but seriously lacking protection for foreseable impacts.....of course it's all a personal decision and I respect anyones choice. It may seem expensive now, but a few bucks doesn't seem like anything if you're laid up for weeks or months with a broken or spained ankle.

Just my $.02
  8. Firestorm

Firestorm .

Oddometer:
    If there all you can afford right now, there better than nothing. I own a pair of O'Neal Elements which I have had for four years. At first when I bought them I thought they were ok, but after riding in them for a while, I can't recomend them. So if you have any extra money laying around I would pass them up for a boot with more support, and more comfort. Last time I rode with them in the winter, every time I went through a water crossing, maybe just a couple of inches deep, some how my socks would get soaked. Not very water proof boots from my experience. Went riding in the rain one time and my boots filled up with water. Some people like them, while others don't.
  9. Wings

Wings long gone

Oddometer:
    Stiff is good. Wait, let me re-phrase that. You'll appreciate the stiffness when you're out riding in the dirt. Don't know about the boots you're talking about, but I got some Alpinestars Tech 6's and I couldn't believe how horrid they are to walk in. But once you're on the bike, they're great and the stiffness adds support. I got tired much faster when I was wearing my Savannah's. MX boots almost feel like ski boots to me...a pain to walk in but excellent for their intended purpose.
  10. tcate

tcate old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    Just to echo most others, they're great starter boots but if you use them intensely they don't last long. I'm a rotund guy and kickstart my 4 stroke motocross bikes without using the compression release. During one kick my foot slipped off the kickstarter and it went right through the thin leather of the boot. I was careful not to let my foot slip any more, but then the arch of the sole broke in two during another kick. I finally gave up and bought Alpinestars and have never given my boots another thought...

TC
  11. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of upgrading from my O'Neal Element boots. I have a KLR with aftermarket footpegs and shifting gears is a total PITA. I bought some Fox Comp 5s and couldn't shift the bike at all. I ordered the extended shift lever and may also go with some Moose offset pegs to make life easier. One thing I noticed is the O'Neal boots substantially less support than the Fox boot. The Fox boot offered less support than the Alpinstar Tech 3! As others have said, if you want to step up from street gear, the Element is good. But, compared to what's out there for <$100 more, you get a whole lot more protection. I'd get as much boot as you can afford and still shift the bike.
  12. Me and my monkee

Me and my monkee Feels like Jackson Pollock looks

Oddometer:
    Where can you get replacement straps for the Elements? One of mine broke and I can't find a supplier anywhere.
  13. DakotaKid

DakotaKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's one of the downsides of buying cheaper boots. I couldn't find replacement parts anywhere. O'Neal was cool about it though, they sent me a new boot as a replacement.

14. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    I tried them on at Pep Boys and bought from a closeout online...$59

They are decent cheap protection.

I keep oiling mine hoping to increase water resistance.

They are still pretty stiff after 8-10 rides at the offroad course.

I did have to adjust the shifter on the DRZ because of the thick toe.

YMMV.
  15. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    just what i was thinking but it's already been well said.

they're better than work boots.
    not nearly as good at Gaerne SG10's

spend what you can.
  16. Firestorm

Firestorm .

Oddometer:
    The first boots I bought, I bought them like 8 years ago for $100. There cheap, not that comfortable, and ugly.

Crap of crap.

But better than tennis shoes.
  17. SteveROntario

SteveROntario Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Can anybody comment on the 2012 version of the O'Neal Element boots? I saw them at the local dealer and noticed they have some sort of flap behind the tongue but couldn't say for sure they are water proof. I could buy a pair and write a test report but it would involve a lot of snow and pushing of the bike...no so much about riding.

Perhaps a mod could fix the spelling of the title too.hehe

Cheers, Steve
  18. TanasiRob

TanasiRob Squid Emeritus

Oddometer:
    bump! :D
  19. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the 2012 version and have used them but unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, they have not experienced any water. I expect them to get a serious water test in 2 weeks. I'll write a review here.
  20. SteveROntario

SteveROntario Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying a used pair of waterproof SIDI's. Now I need to find some pants that can fit around them so water doesn't run into them when I'm riding under water. :lol3
    Steve