Gas Leaking Problem

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sp600, Oct 1, 2012.

1. sp600

sp600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I recently re-jetted the carb. on my suzuki sp600. I went up two sizes on the main jet, and at that time I checked that the float height was in spec, which it was, and then left it alone. I reassembled everything and now the bike is running fine.

The weird thing is, when I park the bike and turn the petcock to OFF, the carb drips steadily through the bottom of the float bowl vent hose. I'd assume because it was emptying its contents onto the floor that it has something to do with the carb float bowl assembly. But....

A day later I'll come back to check out the floor and there's a gigantic puddle underneath it, and it's still dripping gas. :huh

So is it a problem with the petcock too? I just cleaned the petcock, so yeah, I might've botched something up reassembling it but I've run on reserve and main, so I know that when I turn the petcock to OFF it is in-fact in the off position.

Additionally, if there is something wrong with the float bowl/ assembly what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any/ all help.
  2. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
  3. sp600

sp600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Material as in the diaphragm or material as in crud in the system. Also, how do I clean schmeg off?
  4. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    i vote for non vacuum petcock. yamaha raptor worked on my old dr650, not sure what fits your bike. ask in the sp600 thread, they'll know.
    imho vacuum petcocks suck.

if it still leaks with an actual "off" petcock, there's some schmeg in the float needle seat. remove and clean.