Nascar 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Motorcyclist, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    2011 is in the can, let's see if we can get things going for 2012.

First order of bidness: word on the street is that Kurt Busch is out at Penske Racing. Roger P. is a pretty patient and deliberate guy, but ol' Kurt pushed him to the brink. Buh-bye Kurt, here's hoping a start and park team picks you up!
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Maybe Kurt can be the backup driver for his brother when Kyle is suspended and not allowed to be on track?

I'd still like to kiss Jimmy Spencer on the lips for punching Kurt in the face.:deal
  3. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    All hail Mr. Excitement

:bow
  4. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    :clapJIMMY! JIMMY! JIMMY! JIMMY! :rofl
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Penske already got rid of Busch's crew chief. Why do that if you're gonna change the driver too?
  6. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that Addington left of his own accord. He has just been named Stewart's crew chief, so I'd say he made a good move. After working with Kyle and Kurt the past several years, that guy deserves a medal.

An article I saw in October quoted Roger Penske as wanting to keep Addington: "He has done a fantastic job for us and I hope to keep him here long term, Penske told Blount."

One sure sign of distress in an organization is when good people start heading for the door, duh :lol3. The way Busch treated his crew in public (I can only imagine the tantrums in private), did not foster any team building, and good people will only put up with that for so long (maybe a little longer if you're winning consistently). Roger probably figures that it is easier to replace a driver than an entire engineering staff and pit crew.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Yup, he quit Penske.

Looks like Hendrick wants Grubb back, but they don't have a crew chief spot for him because Kahne's deal has him bringing his own crew chief.
  8. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Jimmy doesn't go that way. I have met Pat, his wife.
  9. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Uhhh, Mr. Penske, there is a very nice young man by the name of Reutimann who needs a ride. Have you heard of him?
  10. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I like the Rooterman, but he is too dang nice. Penske drivers are traditionally aggressive idiots...aside from Donahue who was just plain cool.

This just in...Kurt Busch is officially done at Penske!! :clap

Hmmm...Vickers to Penske?
  11. shrineclown

Oddometer:

Jayski is saying Ragan.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Probably so.

I think Vickers would be a good match for a second car for Robby Gordon. They both have the Redbull background and Robby really needs another car to be competetive as a team.
  13. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Robby needs money, and he has burned a lot of bridges in his wake. Do you think they could get it together?
  14. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    As long as Hornish does not return. Great open wheel driver, not so great in a stock car.

Vickers and Reutimann have both had good equipment, but not set the world on fire with it. Same with Ragan. I'd rather see a young guy get promoted than recycle some veteran drivers.

Maybe Awesome Bill, Texas Terry or Kyle Petty are available?
  15. shrineclown

Oddometer:

Hornish is going for the Nationwide championship, which is what they should have done long ago. Denker says that is not going to change. The problem is bringing up a young guy is they have one already and he is damn good. I think Jayski is right, Ragan is in for a year. If he does anything he may stay. Otherwise, they are going to survey the situation next fall. I bet Penske and Bowyer wish this timing were different. That would have been a nice fit. Plus, Pennzoil is going to want a well known name for their purposes.
  16. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I'd like to see it happen, I think it'd be good for both of them. Hell, maybe Robby should just give Vickers his seat and go offroad racing while Brian makes enough money to support the one car?
  17. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Brian Pattie is going to Chief for Bowyer.

Interesting reports that the crew is disappointed Kurt is out. Feeling was, with the exception of the time he was on the track he was a good guy and they liked working with him. Must be Sunoco fumes make him a little fired up.
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since so many are throwing KB under the bus, I'd like to rise to a little defense. The Penske NASCAR team (as well as Roger's arch rival, CG) have rarely fielded competitive equipment. Rusty Wallace won a championship decades ago, but with another team, and KB in 2004, but with Jack Roush. In my observation Penske has better drivers than cars. It's the black hole there.

Roger has the Keselowski kid who appears to be a phenom, but he's wasting his time with Penske. Those people are mostly incompetent if their record counts for anything.

I listened to Busch's exit tape. That Stewart fellow should tap him for a third car. Busch has a champion's exemption and gets a free start every round. He'll make hay with that and so will Stewart. They'll run up front and have a better chance of winning another Cup. Maybe even dominate Hendrick and make a few bucks.

Penske?

Well, they have the kid and he'll make some noise until he smarts up and moves on.

:turkish
  20. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    That is all true Pantah.

The story always used to be Rusty thought he was a driver and the crew chief and that is why they always struggled for championships. Several very good drivers have been through that mill. It was no secret when Kurt was lured to Penske, yes that deal was done before he got in hot water with NASCAR and Roush, that he was a tempest in a teapot on raceday. He wants to win, that is all he wants. Just like his brother. If you are not helping, you are in his way.

I was thinking Tony too, but it is awful short timing to put together a team like that from scratch and be ready for Daytona. Unless, they take the Danica gear and team and hold her off from Cup competition for a bit until they can get it all organized again and then spot her in.

Maybe he will buy all Kenny Bernstein's stuff and go breath holding!