No headlight on r1100rt

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by facetjoint, Aug 9, 2012.

1. facetjoint

facetjoint TONKA

Oddometer:
    I lost all power to my headlight on my 04/97 R1100RT? I have all the Tupperware off including the front fairing/headlight bucket. I split the electrical connector for the L/H multifunction switch thinking the M-F SW went South. I pinned out the bike/frame portion of the harness at the M-F harness and have no power at the pins in this harness. Those being the yellow and white wire in the 7 pin harness. All relays and fuses seem to be working as should.

If I use an alternate jumper wire source to power up the head light 'yellow wire" at the headlight. The light will work only meaning that the bulb is known good.

I'd certainly appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks Bill
  2. facetjoint

facetjoint TONKA

Oddometer:
    Well I finally found the phantom head light inop. situation. Strange that you always find it the last place you look. I received some very helpful emails heading me on the right track. But not till I had the complete wiring harness opened up from tail pipe to turn signals. I have pics. if anybody is interested of what the harness looks like all opened up and looks like confetti spaghetti!

The problem was is in the R/H multi-function switch. Something in the little contact buttons inside the hi lo beam yellow rocker switch was not allowing electrical current to come through the ignition switch and power up the head light rocker switch. All other functions in the switch worked as they should.

I did find 3 rub areas in the harness that I felt would potential problems in the future to chase down. Plus I am not unhappy about looking inside as the P.D.S.O. had been in the harness down by the ABS pump on the left side of the frame. To find an ignition trigger for the P.I.A.A. lighting he installed. Plus he used Scotch Loks to install the PIAA's.

So while all this is out. I am going to do the DIY headlight harness wiring upgrade using the potted Bosch type 5 pin relays.

Now I've got to poly loom all the wiring up. Stuff it all back in there. Make it look all nice and pretty like an unorganized sock drawer without letting the smoke out.