2010 GasGas 280 Economy Model - - What is it worth?????

Discussion in 'Trials' started by DirtViking, Nov 7, 2012.

1. DirtViking

DirtViking SKOL!

Oddometer:
    I'm absolutely new to trials, but not motorcycles. I'm trying to find out what these models are selling for on the used market, but I'm coming up dry.

Can someone give me an opinion?

The particular bike I'm looking at is essentially stock. The owner has added a red shift lever, a 1 tooth smaller counter sprocket and Ryan Young levers. He narrowed the bars a bit, but they are still stock.

Owner estimates about 60 hours on the bike, but has no way of telling.

Fairly new Dunlop on the front with a Michelin rear. Amsoil 20W50 synthetic in the tranny and uses a 90:1 oil/gas mix. He bought a 2012 GG, so he's offering this one for sale.

Thanks for the input!

Jon
  2. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    I ride a 2009 GG280TXT Econo. I'm told it's more or less the stock bike of the year before. I've been very happy, beating the very crap out of it. Yours looks cleaner.

Seems like a bike loses a couple grand in the first year, and a little less the next, until it gets down around $2K when it is worth its condition etc.

Yours started at $5500, so is a bargain at $2500 and okay at $3500? Or maybe add $500 to each of those numbers if the guy is gonna coach you.

Bikes are selling slowly -- does the seller want to sell? I'll soon be selling an 06 Beta REV3 250, try to get $1500. The GG is a lot more bike esp. if you ride enduro or motocross and expect some snap.

Welcome to this strange pastime.

Gordy?
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I think that you are close. I have a 2010 280 Pro that I am currently doing a major clean up, plastic, service, etc. and am going to re-list it at $4,000. :dunno

The econo are a wierd lot. They could put two of them side by side and they would have different components like mufflers.
    They are a great deal for the entry level riders though and if you are one of those, I would jump at anything close to $3K on that one. I wouldn't pay more than $3,500 IMO. I know of a pristine 2010 250 econo that is going for $4,000.
  4. DirtViking

DirtViking SKOL!

Oddometer:
    Well, kind of.

I got in contact with him through a local club president. The president knew he just bought a bike and figured he'd let this one go. It turned out that he was correct.

After talking with the owner, he said that he'd sell to me as a potential new club member, but didn't have any burning desire to get rid of it. His intention was to hold on to it as a second bike until a few days ago.

Jon
  5. DirtViking

DirtViking SKOL!

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely entry level, I've never ridden one! The current owner has offered the bike for me to ride, so I'll take him up on it.

Any quirks to look out for on that particular bike? He hasn't touched the original piston. I don't think that's a big deal, but I don't really know...

Jon
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    A piston or top end should not be a worry on that new of trials bike. Now cleaning the head of carbon is a different story. The econo is not a pro, but it would be a good start for a newer rider!:D
  7. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that there is a local club. Will you share the details please?
  8. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    Quirks -- riding a borrowed bike is a little bit of a marriage test, as you are sure to bang it up a bit.
    The GGs are easy to start, run clean on 91 octane (with oil!...), don't have to fool with jetting for a wide range of altitude. The steering radius is not as tight as the Betas, but that means it won't tuck on you and throw you on the ground as quick.

The GG280 is a very quick revving motor, with a lot of punch. Even the 300s don't spool up as fast. So go easy a bit, feel out how much it takes to wheelie or vault up a wall. If you find it hard to manage, ride some other bikes.

Mine has a tube in the rear tire; better riders than I can feel it's not as supple as tubeless. It's a deficiency, if yours is likewise.

You need a triple-jointed thumb to turn the air filter bolt. Helps to have a beer before you change the filter, and just don't think about it. Clean that and the spark arrestor pretty often, if not every ride.
  9. DirtViking

DirtViking SKOL!

Oddometer:
    Do you think the 300 would be a better bike for someone starting out? Is the GG280, the YZ250 of the trials world?

Thanks for the input.

Jon
  10. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Viking,

There is a Helluva lot of people that think until you are over 200lbs, you only need a 125, I am not of that "school" of thought. but I am aware that newer bikes are "pipey hot" running engines, from damn near 0 rpms to 6000. what used to be good was a well worn in 280 or 300 for a guy weighing in at 170-250. Getting used to the hot bike we have now (compared to higer flywheel affected engines in our not to distant past (aka early 90's late/Mid eighties monoshocks of course). it takes a teenager about 5 hours of actually riding to cope with a 03 280 pro. He has more hours under his belt, and we had him jump onto my now spare, 2010 Raga Pro (obviously newer combustion chamber & effects of wear, plus the raga is hotter of the hotter, by design) and he was able to cope with it in about 10 minutes, but he now has about 35 hours of riding under his belt, and 2 trials events, today he won his novice class (wooot!!!).

You can be scared of the new(er) bike, take care get confidence, that Econo wont be so hot that you wont learn to ride it (for most people). it is the same engine GG makes for the main bike.

I am also in the camp that the 280 revs like CRAZY, compared to the 300 that seems to be pretty friggin linear, but dont be fooled, the 300 has stump pulling power just off tickover. Since you use the clutch (like you use the fluid drive in a automatic transmission of old days) you control the engine and how much power the rear wheels end up with. so 90% of the "problem" with most bikes is the brain that controls the throttle.

you can detune these bikes, make them easier to ride, then reverse the process when you feel "better" about your ability. I have a buddy that has ridden for 6 years now, and IMHO, a 125 is still too much for him.

so caveat-emptor does exist with any advice. If you buy the underpowered POS, you have to sell it, when your skills get better (less scared of the bike and can now use that power) or to "move up" if you get my drift.?

what do you ride now? maybe I can do an "analogy" for you based on that?
  11. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    The same bike just came up for sale in San Francisco for $3,800. Guys in my club said that was a good deal. It was near new conditon. I was 3rd to call on it, then got an e-mail that he decide to not sell it. I would have given $3,500 for sure.

My dream deal is a very low use Beta Rev 3 for $2,400.
  12. DirtViking

DirtViking SKOL!

Oddometer:
    My bikes are in my sig line. I have a KDX-220 for woods stuff. It's light (compared to what I'm used to), has enough power and is pretty fun. I have a WR450 for slightly more open areas. I've dual-sported it. Love the bike... once it's running. I recently did the Shen500. It was a great bike for that kind of riding. I have a 1200GS for my garage. :D
  13. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Well,

Been trying to think of a decent analogy, which is hard since I have NOT ridden any newer than my 1 year old at the time 86 YZ250, motocross bike... That is, for more than say 5 minutes while still recovering from Tibia Platea carnage/suregery and rehab, I rode my brother's then new 2001? honda 450.

I would ride a 450 if I rode anything, that is what I have to say, so the 280/290/300 is of the same ilk. Nobody can say owning the 300cc beta or GG, is like having the 500cc 2 stroke man eaters, I rode a yz 465 for a couple of 1 hour or less sessions, a close friend of mine had one, and I can tell you that thing scared the shit out of pretty damn good moto crossers, not just me, and it was fun but NOT FOR ME to own or learn to race on...

I can only again start my thoughts with depending on you, and your abilities, and your resources (aka money), there are several paths to get you into trials.

My friends and newbs usually wont throw $3000+ to get started in trials and see if they will like it. But they usually will risk under $2000, go figure. so for just under 2000 you can usually find a 02/03/04 Pro that looks sad but runs OK.

I know, right... I would love to just tell them to spend the $4000-5000, get a nice bike that sells easier in 2 months for what they paid or close, or 2 years, for say 3400 (if they keep it nice). Loses less money than if they spend 1800, then 300 in parts and fenders for a "OLD" bike, that is only worth 1800 reguardless?

but who has the $$$ to pish away, not me. (that they will eventually, but in increments, makes it easier to do, I know)

(removed sentence).
  14. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:

Picked up a GG250 2011 model. My first trials bike. I am a pretty respectable woods rider IMO. I rode the GG today for about 2 hours. Just playing with it in the woods to get a feel for the controls, power delivery, balance, steering etc...

It is a frickin DEVIL BIKE. :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3

The power seems pretty snappy and smooth to me and not something that would scare me. The controls and riding position and steering adjustments kicked my ass. I spent 2 hours on it just meandering some singletrack and playing in the creek beds and small rock piles.

Now that I have a feel for it, I think I will go watch all the BEGINNER videos!!!!

Comparing it to my KTM is like apples and hand grenades. It isn't intimidating at all but is totally different from anything I have ever ridden.

Did I underline BEGINNER?

Much respect for real trials riders.
  15. Sting32

Oddometer:
    I'm having to be real careful, if you have seen other posts I put up, I know darn well if you ask 100 motorcyclists what they think their skill level is, you will get VARYING answers that represent NONE to full blown (Evel Knevel types) that can be run over by the 40cc moped they are sitting on... :lol3
  16. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    Always sit at the far end of the table and be asked to come to the other end. Hard to go wrong. Learned that many many years ago.
  17. DirtViking

DirtViking SKOL!

Oddometer:

This brings up a good point. What books and videos are suggested for a newb trial rider?
  18. Sting32

Oddometer:
    absolute must see is RYP's (here) https://secure.rypusa.com/catpage.cfm?cat_selected=84

"Trials Training Techniques" then while you are there get the newer one, "advanced" and keep it in the library, share it with people you get interested in trials, or at least get them to buy one... I say get them both, to save some shipping/handling? I dont know, think positive maybe not too long you need the 2nd one (hope hope)...

but they are great watch and learn. I enjoyed most of these although I only own the 2 techniques videos, they are almost required watching, and maybe Kind of sesame street for trials, lol?

Lots of neat videos to watch on youtube as well, and Trials Training Center.
  19. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    Good call!!!!:lol3:lol3:lol3

[​IMG]
  20. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget Bernie's Bible.:deal