Another "Which Dual Sport Bike is For Me?" Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by S8W7, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked hard at the DR and the KLR. Ended up with a KLR but then the fun began. 685 motor; Ricor Intiminators in the forks; Cogent Dynamics Moab shock; upgraded rotor (front brake disk); stainless steel brake lines; heated grips; aftermarket pegs; modified carb; aftermarket hand guards; Wolfman side racks and Teton bags...I've ridden this bike from So. Cal. through Nevada, parts of Utah, Colorado, Arizona and back...loaded with camping gear...on freeways, two lane roads and off pavement. Commuted with it. Did canyons and twisties with it. Works well. No problems and quite comfortable.
  2. S8W7

S8W7 Libertarian

Oddometer:
    Pics? :)
  3. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    '09 KLR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. S8W7

S8W7 Libertarian

Oddometer:
    Beauty!

What kind of tires are those?
  5. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Continental TKC-80s. Been very happy with them.
  6. S8W7

S8W7 Libertarian

Oddometer:
    Is that the factory fairing and tank?
  7. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  8. S8W7

S8W7 Libertarian

Oddometer:
    Do they come with that forward crash guard looking thing or is that aftermarket?

Sorry for the twenty questions, I just like your bike!
  9. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The crash bars are Happy Trails and I bought the skid plate, crash bars and highway pegs all together for I think it was $300. Not hard to install. The bags on the front that attach to the crash bars are Wolfman and are a good place for tools and water. The tank bag is also Wolfman (Explorer Lite) and works well with the bike. Easy to flip back for fueling.

I also ride a BMW R1200GS and a BMW F650GS twin but I still really like the simplicity and overall feel of the KLR650. I ride it a lot both on pavement and off in Arizona and have taken it on a number of long distance trips quite successfully.

No problem with the questions -- we like to yak about our bikes.
  10. wild0

wild0 Rubber duck

Oddometer:
    DRZ400?

My one does everything from 700km days on the hwy to 70km days on some of the toughest tracks in the high country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or if you want a more road mannered machine how about a 640 ktm?
  11. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you factor in price the KLR is clearly one of best motorcycle values out there.
    After you get on one and ride it a while you realize how good these bikes are.
    I bought one because of the price.
    I've got around 75k miles on my 06' model. The more I ride it the more I like it. It will likely go another 75k.
    I have the 685 kit which I did because I overheated the engine once due to a blown fan fuse. The brake and moab shock upgrades were also done a while back.
    I also ride an r1100gs so the KLR doesn't seem that big or heavy to me. But the KLR is in reality big and heavy and not really the best for trails. For a tough and economical travel bike its tough to beat the value of the KLR.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk 2
  12. S8W7

S8W7 Libertarian

Oddometer:
    I have never been so torn!

wild0: What does your DRZ top out at?

bush pilot: Is the 685 kit a stroker setup or an overbore (or both)?
  13. wild0

wild0 Rubber duck

Oddometer:
    I haven't done a top speed run. With 14/44 gearing I have on it at the moment I can comfortably climb large hills and slow sections with next to none clutch use. This gearing will give you comfortable cruising at 100km/h. Top speed would be around 140km/h - this isn't pleasant without a screen. I haven't found the desire to go above 100-110km/h. Occasional bursts up to 130 overtaking trucks.

If you're spending your time on the road and WOT fire trails I would go with 15/44 gearing which will give you comfortable cruising at around 120km/h. With the big bore on the bike now (+34cc) I reckon it would do around 160km/h flat out.
  14. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride the KLR but I am 64 years old and not willing to go fun and fast off pavement anymore because freakin' bones break too easily now (osteoporosis). The KLR can do way more than I can do.

But, when I was your age (25) I was blasting around the desert on a Suzuki DR350 and lovin' it.

The KLR is more comfortable than the DR650 no doubt, and handles the highway quite well. The DR650 has got to be better in the dirt if you want to push things.

If you want to go to the grocery store, go to work, tour a bit, and have fun on gravel/dirt roads -- the KLR fits perfectly (with some mods).

If you want to fire around the deserts and forrests, and do at least some single track, the DR650 wins out.

Though neither one of them is really a dirt bike...too heavy.
  15. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind your top speed is going to be different when the bike is running naked as opposed to running full load. Full up with bags, top case and windshield makes a big difference.

Honestly, just buy something, you'll know quickly whether it will fill your needs, if not sell and move to something else.
  16. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to make matters yet more complicated for you -- I also agree with perterra that you should not overlook the DRZ400. Really nice bike. And switching out the sprockets does make these bikes yet more flexible. In fact, last week I switched out the OEM 15 tooth with a 14 tooth counter sprocket because I wanted more grunt on dirt roads and was willing to give up some top end to get it.

As someone else posted earlier -- just pick up one of these bikes and ride. You'll enjoy the learning curve and your next bike surely won't be the only bike you ever own.
  17. wild0

wild0 Rubber duck

Oddometer:
    I would have to say that the DR650s are a very competent offroad bike.

Couple of mad buggers over here did coast to coast across Australia on them.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vcF4rRH-FG8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vcF4rRH-FG8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  18. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I watch a big guy handle a KLR through some really gnarly stuff last week end. We rode a Jeep trail up the side of a mountain. I was on my 950 ADV. I think the 690 KTM would be a nice bike to consider. Check out Aerostich and Touratek's sites to see what your options are as far as bags
  19. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 685 is an overbore kit. This is one of its disadvantages because you're using the original liner which is already prone to warping if overheated. The 705 kit is better in that it uses a new heavy duty liner. I would use the 705 if I ever build another KLR travel bike.
    Overheating the engine is the Achiles heal of the KLR.
    Even so, after I got mine hot I rode it accross country, I just had to add a quart of oil every 500 miles.
    If the engine isn't using oil there really isn't a big need to go for the 685. The stock engine is real good. The 685 is an improvement just not that big of one. I hear the 705 kit is a signicant improvement. But that's some money and part of owning a KLR is about being cheap.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk 2
  20. S8W7

S8W7 Libertarian

Oddometer:
    Does the KLR respond well to more cost effective mods? Such as opening up the intake and exhaust?