The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :poser
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  3. Moondogs

Moondogs Moondog

Oddometer:
    So this thread started in Feb. of 2008 so forgive me guys and gals that I don't read all the postings (over 1000 pages!). I might retire my 1996 K1100RS soon but looking for a replacement. In the running is a V-Strom, the Tenere or the F800GT or maybe another suggestion. I have seen many a V-Strom out there but looking at the Tenere is new for me. I am not interested in too much off road and it has to have the ability to have highway pegs installed. (Broke my right leg and I have to straighten it out on long rides). So to those who own or have owned what is your take on it? (I did read a few posts involving discussion on vibrations and not having a good out come.)

BTW, new to the site, howdy all :)
  4. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exciting times since I will pick up my new XT within 1 hour and say goodbye to my beloved DL650 that I had for 6 years.
    Read a test in the new UK SuperBike magazine in a comparo with Honda`s Crossrunner (or what it is called) and the Triumph Explorer that they really liked the XT but choose the Explorer, maybe since their mag is called SuperBike? Also got a hint that Yamaha probably will come out with a triple soon which will be in the R1 and an Adventure bike rumors or not it is interesting. Now off to the bike shop!
  5. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To sum up the last 1,000 pages it's a bunch of bored happy Tenere owners.
    NO break downs. Some loose spokes, weeping fork seals misc personal adjustments
    that's about it.

You have to realize this is a Tenere thread and owners tend to praise whatever they ride.
    Tenere people tend to put this bike on their top favorite list. I generalize, but I've also followed
    the full thread and own one due to all the positive owner feedback.
  6. Ozz

Ozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a special tool to help turn the grey knob at the bottom of the rear shock? It's too hard to turn by hand, not to mention that I can't get my hand in there. Help.
  7. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The general procedure is to put the bike on the centerstand, lay down beside it with feet facing rearward, and reach in there from the bottom... the rebound adjuster is right above the dogbones. I have big hands, but have no issue at all getting a good grip on the adjusting ring. It should turn relatively easily; if not, your shock has a problem. As motorcycle suspension adjustments go, this is one of the easier ones.

- Mark
  8. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd rather adjust the suspension than have to remove the ECU.:bluduh
    It's good there isn't much reason to get to it because it's sure buried in there
    and the one allen bolt hidden in the inside fairing was thoughtful of mother Yamaha.

Anyway, I pulled it out tonight to get the reflash upgrade from AF-1. (hands rubbing)

[​IMG]
  9. Ozz

Ozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the advise. I'll try that.
  10. lewisclarke

lewisclarke Lewis

Oddometer:
    There is a Super Tenere Forum where riders are even more biased...

...but I bought one last May, put 5000 miles on it riding small twisty roads all the way to Canada and back and had a real good time. My 3rd street bike ever. All good for the first 8000+ miles.
  11. Saso

Saso Happily sporting the DRD4 gene Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, for full disclosure, I've just had a couple of fabulous Brash Item Nines at a favorite watering hole here - but I have to say you're dead on Pluric. I ride this bike for the same reason I've driven Toyota Land Cruisers for years - it is the best tool, barnone, for the job. All this stuff about the latest and greatest electronic wizardry and gadgetry on new Euro bikes - to have to deal with that shit when it goes tits up in the middle of nowhere - are you kidding? There's a reason a Jap built truck is preferred by people all around the world, living and working in remote places. The Super Tenere is its equivalent.
  12. Moondogs

Moondogs Moondog

Oddometer:
    Well I figured that but most people will be honest with their assessment. I posted the same question over at the BMWMOA site and they told me to come over here... figures...:rofl
  13. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
  14. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    You have to ride them...:deal

Admittedly I did not test ride a GS but I did try the Triumph Explorer, nice bike but it wasn't what I was looking for.

But when I tried the Tenere I knew as soon as I rolled the bike and did some figure 8's in the parking lot that this was the bike I was looking for, a 7 mile test ride sealed the deal for me.
  15. thebrown

thebrown likes beer

Oddometer:
    howdy
    if your off road requirements are minimal the new fjr1300 is awesome, but can you get highway pegs??
    but of the three you mention my ownership bias says xt1200z
    the strom has a great motor, the bmw's a capable bike from what i've heard
    but the 45000km on mine say i didnt make a bad choice ranging from commuting to bouncing the big girl down and up 4wd tracks
  16. thebrown

thebrown likes beer

Oddometer:
    what vibrations?
  17. Chris618

Chris618 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought this tenere to replace my FJR as my sport touring bike. I like the longer leg room, 6th gear and softer suspension for pot hole ridden roads. I loved my FJR, but am more comfortable on the super tenere.
  18. thebrown

thebrown likes beer

Oddometer:
    i'm going to try the longer leg room on the fjr with the high seat position in the morning cos i know what you mean, but the new fjr is pretty f'in improved i reckon after a few hundred k's on some pretty potholed roads (that i know where most potholes are)

tenere does do it well a lot cheaper though.... oh and the 6th gear thing too
  19. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just stopped putting that bolt back in...

ac
  20. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahh, weight savings. I get it.:wink: