GS Akrappvic racing exhaust

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by paachi, Aug 6, 2013.

1. paachi

paachi Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
  3. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone fitted a full system to the water boxer.......?........
  4. Willie B

Willie B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the system on my '09 GS. I know this doesn't help, but the fit and performance gains on my '09 were amazing. I would think that you will need to figure out how to fool the bike into thinking the exhaust flapper motor is still attached? I would call Max BMW, because they were fitting these systems to the later GSs using the single can. The lady who is the service manager at their CT location has always been very knowledgeable and helpful anytime I've called. Good luck
  5. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2009 + bikes have the exhaust flap. They may not want to make a new jig to manufacture the connection there. I have a full Remus Hexagon and header with a "flapper eliminator" from Wunderlich , a KN air filter and Boosterplug. . There is nothing you have to do to remove the flapper after the fact. Just unplug and remove it. It's heavy ! I had to leave the baffle in the muffler because it's extremely loud and annoying without it. The setup evens out the power and torque curve. Very noticeable at around 4000 RPM +, like a turbo boost. Try a bike with and without and you will buy the system ! You can ask a muffler shop to make you a custom connection to the dual muffler Akropovic.
  6. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont think the akro is available in canada yet.....will check with dealer if the bikes warenty is remus freindly .......guess the fueling will have to be changed if the cat and flap come out..?....have to find out about the options....being a new design theres not much info on mods yet....there is an akro availble in england but I have not heard about the results yet..
  7. rmcc

rmcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have this: http://www.akrapovic.com/en/Motorcy...W R+1200+GS S-B12R4-HLT+Racing+Line+(Titanium)

with no CAT on my 2012 R1200GSA and I like it. It's is quite a bit lighter! (about 8 lbs and I did the install myself) and the sound at idle is a bit deeper but not far off of stock. When I am WOT it's certainly louder. And when I am crusing around the 75-80 MPH mark i would say it's slightly louder but barely noticeable so long as I am not going up a hill or pushing a headwind. (It can be a bit obnoxious under those conditions MHO) I can't honestly say if it's improved performance.... the factory dyno chart says it gains mainly at the upper end. I think I may feel that but it's purely suspicion and not founded in any hard data or times captured. Wish I could have dynoed before and after to see what it did!
  8. rmcc

rmcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my 3rd GSA and my last one was also a 2012 model (red). My current is the triple black. I got a steal of a deal on the exhaust and I installed it on my TB GSA right after I bought it from my friend.

Here is what's odd. I religiously track my mileage through an app called "road trip" on my iphone.

Here are the numbers for my bikes so far

2007 GSA 11907 miles recorded average fuel economy 42.12
    2012 GSA 12153 miles recorded average fuel economy 41.01
    2012 GSA (w akro pipe) 1437 miles recorded average fuel economy 46.87

my 07 I bought with 8k miles on it
    my 12 I bought brand new with 3 miles on it
    my 12 (current bike with pipe) I bought from a buddy with 4k miles on it and I immediately self installed the akro pipe before I could record numbers on the stock pipe.

Just thought I would share.... it's pretty odd and I feel those fuel economy numbers are exceptional for a GSA will bags on and a 200 lb rider (with all gear on)

I usually ride mixed conditions slightly more spirited than your average rider but nothing over the top. I usually cruise on the freeway in the 75-82 realm depending on traffic, time of day, conditions etc.
  9. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dyno's I've seen show the curve is improved higher up in the range. From the first time I rode it I had no doubt in my mind it ( the full system plus flap removal plus KN plus Boosterplug) makes a huge difference. I ride a lot and you get to know your bike. I doubt the 0-100km/hr time has come down much but the 60-120 is impressive . It keeps pulling and pulling with very few lags. Put in as high octane gas as you can and hold on! For the naysayers who say it only sounds louder i say rubbish. I was skeptical too until I tried the full system. The only problem you'll have is keeping your front wheel on the ground. i don't have stability control.
  10. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
    i just acquired a 2007 with the full race system & a power commander that had been dyno set-up. compared to the '07 gsa that i had & the '08 r1200rt that i traded for this bike, the difference is tremendous. power wheelies in second & off bumps in 3rd & 4th are available with a twist of the wrist:evil. it's louder, but no where near as obnoxious as the titanium z-technic full system i had on my r1150gsa for a short while--i like the way this system sounds! & works!:clap
  11. Fullthrottle90

Fullthrottle90 Adrenalin Junkie

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I know you're been talking about the AKRO pipe, but have any of you taken a look at our new BMW Exhaust? Barker's Performance has recently released a new system for the GS models and of course I'm a little bias, but we've seen some great gains along with lighter weight, and most importantly, amazing throttle response.

Check out the vendors area and refer to the Barker's Performance Exhaust section. I list the details of our new systems.

Thanks and good luck.

Feel free to email me or call if you have any questions.
  12. Ding-Dong

Ding-Dong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys.....My first post so be gentle !

I fitted the akro shotgun system to my 2010 twin cam its sold for upto 2009 bikes however it fits fine all you lose is the exhaust valve, as its a race system it has no baffles and was very loud and for touring miles it did my head in so i made some baffles these was from a ktm 950 adv (akro cans). Once fitted the difference is much better for long journeys and the bike lost no power from fitting the baffles. My bike had a power commander fitted and made 110bhp @wheel, it had a very impressive power curve and pulled very hard.

[​IMG]
  13. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!

i (my neighbors) sure would love to have info/pics of your baffle solution:ear
  14. Ding-Dong

Oddometer:
    Sorry cant help with any pics on the baffles as i have a LC now. Only info i can give you is i purchased some baffles for the akro's for a ktm 950 adventure or sm and had to trim slightly to get em to fit, they made the bike more enjoyable to ride and still gave a nice bark from the zorsts .
  15. Hubbman

Hubbman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you like the BST wheels? Wondering how the 17" front effected the handling... Any other issues to consider with these wheels?

Thanks
  16. Ding-Dong

Oddometer:
    Hi I did 15k with the bst wheels fitted as i used stock r1200s wheels previous, the conversion is awesome the way it flicks from side/side and turns in quicker and feels more planted/stable and these benefits are so apparent thus giving more confidence only issue i had is pegs touch down even more so due to the slight height reduction gained from fitting 17".

The rear bst has a 6" rim so had a fat 190 wide tyre and looked rather cool from behind.