Retired Riders

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by rockyroad, Feb 13, 2013.

1. rockyroad

rockyroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to see if there is anyone else in the area that shares my problem. My problem is from the first of April till about mid November I have nothing to do but ride, ride, ride and ride some more. I plan on doing a bunch of 1, 2, 3, and 4 day trips all over the northwest, with a big emphasis on the back roads of the eastern half of Oregon and Washington. I plan on doing mostly remote camping or developed camp grounds, maybe a yurt or two but very few motels if any. So if your getting on in years and you want to get some seroius rideing time in before you go the way of the dinosaur give me a shout.
    Enjoy the ride
  2. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, RR, I'm interested . . . just retired for the second time myself. We're in the middle of putting our house together, then have to help the #2 daughter get to US Army BOLC at the end of this month.

I've volunteered for the BMW national rally in July, and want to do the Chief Joseph Rally (grew up in John Day) and hopefully the Stanley Stomp (led Outward Bound trips out of Grandjean Campground os-so-long-ago).

With all that said, I'm up for some riding. Paved or gravel, no matter. I'm a little old for really gnarly dirt, though if there's young'ns around to help pick up the bike I'd be tempted . . .

Do like to camp. Motels are for when the wife's along in her car . . . :lol3
  3. Marine By Choice

Marine By Choice Sergeant 0311

Oddometer:
    I will be retiring July 1st and plan to put a lot of miles on in preparation for a 37 day motorcycle tour of South Africa in October and November. My best friend s retiring the same day and is also touring with me. He lives in Mt Vernon. I live in Winlock (south of Chehalis). PM me when you are planning a ride. Doesn't have to be after July 1. Anytime works for me.
  4. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Work sux...but I know you retired guys sometimes don't look at the calendar so much, and often don't even know what day it is. So, ff you happen to find some of those trips end up being on a weekend, give me a shout, I'd be proud to ride with ya anytime.
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    When I was younger and working I managed to get 12 months off work.
    After 6 months of touring on the bike I had forgot what month it was, but I was really well organized for packing/unpacking. You do remember the seasons though when it snows! :roflI flew from Europe to Sir Lanka to get back to the sun :D

Now being retired you should be able to spend much more time away from home than 1 or 2 days at a stretch.... go see stuff that is a long way away .... meet the SO when you get there? Do it while you can.
  6. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:

Don't put any wild thoughts into his head, i enjoy riding OR & WA with him! Is that selfish?:D
  7. Danodemotoman

Danodemotoman Have MC will ride

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to this retired guy. My calendar sometimes is full but but likley to squeeze in more rides.
    I prefer to camp with one reason keeping the traveling cost down.
    I ride ST, DS and ADV.
    I am in Graham, south of Puyallup.
  8. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not tired again, I'm just still tired. Your future adventures sound great, please post 'em up as you ride them.
  9. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Hello Rockyroad, from over here in Idaho. I too have plenty of time to ride and have done so; find myself doing a lot of solo rides on back roads and forest services roads. I too camp and cheap motel.. mostly camp. Last year I went south of the border and spent almost 4 months on the road. :clap This up coming year will be closer to home... lots to explore in our own backyard. I have found slowing down a bit and taking in the scenery and carrying a fishing pole for those interesting spots one runs across to be enlightening.

Yes, Ride while you can! Hope to be reading some of your exploits here in the future.

See you out there :ricky
  10. wa.tarider

wa.tarider transalper

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't think being retired and able to ride is a problem :evil. You could post up some ideas and dates for rides and we could make some plans. Three of us did a 900 mile loop around S.E. Oregon last May and had a ball. More on the plate for this year. Alvord and N. California this spring.
    Have fun and keep us posted.
    Norm
  11. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just turned 65, retired Naval Officer, ride a KLR650. Last summer road from NW Washington through the Ice field Parkway in Banff and Jasper to Dawson Creek Milepost 0 to the end of the Alaska Hwy. From there to Deadhorse and back then the TOW road to Dawson City. Cassier Hwy back to NW Washington. Twenty eight days, 6500 miles tenting the whole way. Looking for more adventure this next summer....Ron:freaky
  12. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a journey! A young man would be proud to say he'd done that!:D Good on ya :thumb
  13. rockyroad

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys
    It looks likes there's a handful of guys out there who are retired and free to do a lot of riding this summer. I'll keep everybodies name who replied to this post and be in touch as we get a little closer to some better weather. I'll spend
    the next month putting together some two and three day ride ideas. It's a liitle tuff in early spring with the snow in the Cascades but we'll see how the spring snowmelt progresses. I'm open to any one else who might have an idea for a ride. I'm open to pavement, gravel or dirt riding but prefer to stay away from the nastier dirt and single track. I have a bad knee and bad shoulder that just won't tolerate tooooo much abuse. I also don't have to be going full throttle all the time to have a good days ride..Although there is something to be said for doing 60 or 70 on the right dirt road.
    Any way post up any thoughts you have. Hope to meet up with you all soon.
    Enjoy the ride
  14. rockyroad

Oddometer:
    Hi Scott
    Being retired is pretty cool, being old not so much. Save those pennies and retire early.
    Any time your looking to ride and can't find someone to go with try me.
    I just found out I don't need that stomach surgery yet so I won't be down next month.
    Now my only problem is getting that 950 up and running. It's been in the shop for 10 weeks now and
    tomorrow I pick it up and take it to a new shop and see if they can figure it out.
  15. Danodemotoman

Danodemotoman Have MC will ride

Oddometer:
    Yep cheaper riding but retired early.
    KLR and C10 Connie.

16. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    :clap Good news Gary!

Hope you have better luck with a different tech!
  17. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Bend is my home but since I retired 2 years ago I've been spending winters riding the trails in S. Arizona. Will be moving over to Moab for the last couple weeks in April to ride Trail 90s with 30 other guys, then back home for a few weeks. Will probably ride the old GL500 to Alaska this summer. If you feel like heading north let me know.
  18. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in north west in Idaho. I am also one of those retired guys that wants to ride all the time. I usually wind up doing a lot of solo rides because too many people are still working and paying my social scurity.

Let me know any time you want to ride in Eastern Oregon, Washington, or I know all the roads in Idaho.
  19. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds great--here's hoping the timing works out for all of us!! :clap

20. rockyroad

Oddometer:
    One of the rides on my bucket list is doing the Lolo motorway. If a guy did it from west to east are there any good get backs that far north that cross the state to make a loop out of it. Last year I did the Magruder Corridor and the Gravely Range in Montana and all I can say about that is WOW