Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Setup/System/GPS/Demo
  2. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Probably, but when I have my gps in demo mode, and load a route, I usually click "Go" then "Yes" to "Do you want to simulate driving this route..." to see what choices the gps will make.
  3. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Emmbeedee,
    to you since you know this unit quite well and to the point, can i build large complicated routes that contain some unmapped sections that require switching to direct routing then back to auto routing once back on mapped roads all in the same continous route in Mapsouce then upload it to a Montana and will it run it as is like my 276c chartplotter will with no fuss?
    thanks my friend,
    frank

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Sorry to disappoint you Frank, I'm not an expert on Routes. In fact, I'm not an expert on anything! Except maybe Blackboard, the LMS :lol3

I usually follow tracks since they're more reliable for my purposes. Hopefully someone here will have the answers for you.
  5. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    ok thanks anyway,
    anyone else?

6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Ok, having said I'm not an expert doesn't stop me from making suggestions, does it? :lol3

I would probably break down the kind of route you're suggesting into segments, and use waypoints to help in the direct routing. That way you wouldn't need to try to get the route to work in both direct and auto-routing modes.
  7. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Segments with waypoints. Pretty sure that is the method doc rock uses with the Montana.

DP. You considering the switch to Montana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    rupee. im always searching for the next big thing. lol
    so far nothing can replace our *76 units as far as i can tell in regard to the way we use them.
    now go get your feet massaged. lol

9. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    I have significantly used every Zumo from the beginning, minus the 220. Having the Montana for 3 days and a tank full of gas including offroad, I can easily say the Montana is the way to ride. Many of the Zumo limitations gone. Just to mention a few, real sunlight visibility, multiple maps and customizable... nice. Although not perfect, it does get close and the gripes are minimal.
    Thanks for the push in the right direction.
  10. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Is map instability, rotating though different orientations, on my 600 while riding a map speed issue? I've tried different map speed settings, using garmin topo, and prefer north up vs track up. :ear
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Quite a few of us have had the orientation swap issue, particularly when the unit is near level when mounted. Easily solved by locking orientation in the settings.
  12. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    I have tried loading a large route into my Montana (Kelowna BC to Brookings, OR via Olympic Peninsula) and it did not work. No trouble creating the route in BaseCamp, but I just could not get it to load once I transferred it to the Montana.

In testing I found the only way to get it to work was to load it in smaller (day ride length) routes with start and finish waypoints and a couple of extras waypoints inbetween.

I finally went back and converted the entire route to a track and loaded my important waypoints so I could route directly to the waypoints if I decided to go off-track and then wanted to get to the next important waypoint.

I do not think it was a space limitation as I have 1/3 of my hard drive as free space......I just think that a very large route has too much data for the Montana to load and run efficiently. The brain can only handle so much.

J
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The Montana is limited to only 50 viapoints in a route. Kinda hamstrings you when you want to do complicated routing.
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Wow, we seem to be all over the place on this topic.

Strait answer to your question is, yes, you can have a mixed (on/off-mapped road) routes and send it to the Montana but you'll have to have the exact same map set on the Montana as MapSource or BaseCamp did when you created the route (and yes, you can make mixed-routes in BaseCamp). Just have to remember to set Recalculation to OFF when you navigate your mixed-route.

Example of Mixed-Route created in BaseCamp on 24K US North Central Topo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    There are a few limits when it comes to Along-road Routing. As mentioned there is a 50 Via Point limit. There is also a distance limit which I think (haven't tested lately) is 1000 miles. If one does judicious placement of Via Points AFTER intersections they seem to not get announced and you still get the intersection shown in the Navigation Info list. I have to believe you can make a rather complex along-road route (maybe not walking) with 50 via points.

One trick I used when I had zumo's was to use waypoints for information and not route path shaping. This enabled me to have lots of Waypoints associated with the route. I used Proximity Alerts so that I would get prompts on the zumo.

Cheers,
  16. tvan

tvan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day Everyone,

Hope I can explain this right, Montana when I have a route up and go into the icon that shows a square with 5 lines (little box) the one you use to make changes, the system completely shuts down. Hoping that one of you gurus may bring some light as to why this happens and how I can fix this. Only happens with the routing.
  17. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Base camp for windows ?
    Thanks
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Have you tried it in BC 4.0.1? I can't get it to do mixed routing in either the Mac or Windows versions.

19. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had something strange happen the other day when I connected the Montana to my new MacBook Air.

All I had was basecamp installed at the time. When I plugged the Montana in Basecamp only showed the base map that comes on the Montana. Not the CN NA maps that I have installed on the Montana.

I thought for sure that basecamp would read all the maps on the montana and let me choose from them.

Am I mistaken?

I thought for sure the first time I connected it to one of my other computers all the maps showed in the list but to be honest it's been so long that I could be wrong.

Of course once I loaded CN NA 2012.40 then I could choose it from the list.

Jon...
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You probably need to run Javawa Device Manager on that gps/map to enable its visibility in BaseCamp.

http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html