F800GS Tyre Advice

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by gteps, Dec 29, 2012.

1. gteps

gteps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My F800GS is currently fitted with Pirelli Scorpion Trail's which will in the not to distant future require replacing, I purchased the bike for 80 % road riding (spirited) but would also like to tackle some light off road trails.

Im planning a trip to Northern Spain (Picos De Europa) in early 2013 which would involve mainly road riding but all being well some off road tracks which I have been told about, so, my question to you more experienced adventure riders is, what tyres have you tried, your thoughts on both wet and dry tarmac grip, millage and how did they fair with easy / mild off road use ?

Any thoughts, recommendations or warnings greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance

gteps
  2. deguoren

deguoren 该出手时就出手

Oddometer:
    Hi gsteps

one word: Heidenau K 60 Scout. You will find quite a few threads about tyres here.
    I get > 10000 km out of a rear, its exelent in dry and wet and decent offroad (but you have to reduce tyre pressure for offroad riding)
  3. gteps

gteps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi deguoren,

Thanks for your fast reply, I have read a number of threads on the K60 scouts and have seen mainly good reports regarding the rear tyres but was a little put off by the reports of the front being poor off road and causing an unstable feeling on Tarmac at higher speeds, I like to hustle a bit on the road :wink:

I gather from your recommendation you have not experienced any such issues ? Can I assume yours are fitted to an F800GS ?

Glenn (gteps)
  4. mylovelyhorse

mylovelyhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used both Michelin Anakee 2s and Continental Train Attacks on my 2012 F800GS. I ride on the road but wouldn't hesitate to do a bit of light off roading if needed.

I got around 9,500 miles from the Anakees 2s before changing for the Trail Attacks. Both tyres are solid and great in both dry and wet. I suspect the Michelins would be better off road.

Cheers

m
  5. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
    +1 K60 Scouts
  6. deguoren

deguoren 该出手时就出手

Oddometer:
    No the tyres are fine front & back (no mixing allowed in Germany anyway). I do motorway, until 160 kmh they are stable, I did up to 190 kmh on them. No probelm!
    No issues in dirt!

And yes its 800 GS http://vimeo.com/55974937

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another k60 vote. I put 12,000 miles on a set this summer and I love them. I rode the crap out of them on pavement, dirt, mud etc.
    Great on road, great on gravel roads, good enough for the big bike on dirt and they will get you through the mud (but keep your Beemer outa that anyway).
  8. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No issues at high speed with K60's... Ridden 90mph+ and not a single issue
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I've got more than 38,000 miles on K60s now, with plenty of dirt, mud, and fast, twisty roads in the mix. Yeah, the front isn't as grabby as some full-on knobbies, but they have never washed out on me. I've been up to 118 mph (per GPS) without any unusual scariness, and have spent many, many hours at 70–75 mph on them. No other tire comes close to its versatility, and they last forever. I think it's the perfect match for the F800GS.
  10. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    It depends what you mean by"spirited riding". If spirited is speed 100mph plus that is one thing, If spirited is leaning it over in the twisties, touch down boots and pegs frequently that is some thing else.

THe pirellis, tourances, anakee etc are really street tires with just a bit more open tread. Great on pavement, wet or dry, ok on dry dirt...worthless in mud or wet rocks. However these near street tires will serve fine for spirited speed and twisty riding and allow the bike to go to it's limits.

the K60s are touring tires that have a quite open treat that are MUCH better in the dirt, mud, dry or wet. they are not a full knobby. As a touring tire they have HARD rubber which make them last long miles. I put on a new set for our Alaska trip...after nearly 11000 mile the rear is about 2/3 gone but the front is not evan half gone. I took them off to save for my next heavily dirt trip. On this trip I took the bike up to a bit more than 100mph a couple of times and we did several 500 mile days at 75-85 all day crossing the plains. while there was a strong buzz from the front at aroud 30 mph (knobs resonance I guess) they were fine.
    the tire is slippery in the wet....something like 1/2 the wet braking of the Tourances I normally use. This is not suprising due to the very hard rubber and much less rubber on the road.
    I would not recommend these tires in 9/10ths riding in the twisties for the same reason. 9/10th is touching the pegs or side stand down frequently. I would not think about it on a wet road.

I like k60s and favor tourance exp ...two different tires for two different kinds of riding

so there is my 2 cent worth Hope it helps
  11. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    The K 60 is a great all around tire. i would just put up with what you have till they wear out. Dave
  12. gteps

gteps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick "Thank You" to all those that replied to my thread and a "Happy New Year" to all the forum members :clap

Glenn (gteps)
  13. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I had K60's on I went out with my Son on his ZX6 and we did the big boys and their toys thing.

He commented later that I was certifiable, and that he was positive the BMW was going as fast as it would go.

All bragging aside, it was going as fast as it would go.

The K60 are not sticky, but they are predictable. They work reasonably well for dirt roads and light/moderate fire trails.

They last well when 2 up and loaded.

I might add, I also did this with an E09 rear, and D952 full knobby front. Flat out, skate through the sweepers.

Still predIctable, but....living on the edge.
  14. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    By comparison, I scrape the pegs comfortably on the same roads with the Scorpion Trails . Feels far more planted and holds a line much better.

The boy has to work hard. I never pick roads that suit the ZX. I'm old, not stupid.
  15. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am looking to replace mine with K60
    Can someone let me know if I can use 150 70 17 TL (Tube less) on my GS800? TT (Tube type) is not in stock at this time.
    According to Bike bandit it is ok, just want to hear from other inmate.

Thanks in advance
    Scub
  16. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    of course you can: TL fits on TT but not TT on TL
  17. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your quick response :thumb