Miami Valley (Dayton, OH) BMW RTE

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SquidRavioli, Mar 30, 2013.

1. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    A handful of gents in the Dayton area are establishing a Miami Valley BMWMOA. They just had their first meeting last weekend, and with clear skies today we planned a short ride around Waynesville, Lebanon, Oregonia. We all met up at The Blueberry Café in Bellbrook. Home of the world famous Muffin Man, however; none of us ordered any muffins.

Only 4 of us were able to make it, 3 BMWs and 1 Harley (soon to be BMW Owner). It was in the 20's when we arrived for breakfast and we took our time eating and chatting to let the sun rain down some needed warmth.

[​IMG]

The Bikes.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark Scott put together a nice 75 mile loop which made for a perfect shakedown run. There is still a TON of salt on these Ohio roads! I rode behind Ken's Harley and that HOG was throwing a steady stream of salty rooster tail.

A brief pit stop at the halfway point.

[​IMG]

The winner of most photogenic goes to Mr. Bob Johnson and a most impressive mustache!

[​IMG]

This was my first experience with any sort of group riding, and these guys took good care of me. My little F650 single held in there with these big bikes (they probably never left 4th gear though).

We ended the ride at The Village Family Restaurant in Waynesville. Known for their pies and I can see why, had a slice of Peanut Butter Cream Pie that was outstanding!

[​IMG]

Hopefully many more trips to come as this BMWMOA gets up and running.
  2. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet, but how do they follow you onto the dirt roads? :rofl
  3. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    Every creek bed and farm road off the pavement was calling to me the whole time. Those guys have too much $$$ in those scoots to get them dirty.
  4. Groovemaster

Groovemaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello BMW guys. I don't have a BMW or live in Ohio. That said I am planning a little ride from Windsor Ontario (Detroit) to Georgia and don't want to I75 it. Any suggestions on secondary highways that run North to South through your state? Probably stop in Lexington the first leg of the trip.
  5. ericrat

ericrat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might get a better response in regionals, but state route 68 is a pretty okay choice. It starts in Findlay, OH and goes right into the Lexington area. From Lexinton, well Paris, KY I suppose, 68 heads west and is probably no longer a good choice.

Depending on how much time you have and where in Georgia you are going, it would be nice to make a stop through Deal's Gap and the "tail of the dragon" in TN and then 28 "moonshiner 28" they call it, runs out of Deal's Gap into northern GA. Yes, we like to give our riding routes catchy names, I have no idea why.
  6. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    2nd on the 68. Good thinking I75 sucks especiallly through Dayton. Between BGSU and Troy Ohio heading South on I75 there is NOTHING. Easy streth of highway though, once you get south of Tipp City it gets congested, once you hit Dayton is gets F'd Up costruction city and what not *avoid it like the plague*
  7. Groovemaster

Groovemaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks gentlemen. I was goggle mapping it and 68 seems to be the choice or 27/62. From Lexington there are a few options. I will hit all the "must ride" spots in Tenn. on the way back. Plan on taking a couple days and from my brothers place in Georgia it's only a few hours from his house through the back roads and highways to the mountains of Tenn.