How I spent my summer vacation, or 6000 miles on a WR250R

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by skierd, Aug 27, 2009.

1. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
  2. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    thanks, brother that was great. I was lurking around on the WR specific forum looking for LD adventures and came across your ride. Sweet! Gives me inspiration to upgrade the DR with something a little more modern.
  3. zuludude

zuludude positive

Oddometer:
    not skierd is u! 1200m on a dirt bike is all i've ever done ..you def give me hope to ride the tat on my 503 . you think ur bike will be up to it again ? w/o probs? it would suck to be stuck out in those hot plains broke down . great rr ..
  4. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I'd leave tomorrow on another trip without hesitation if I had the time and cash. I have plans in the works for this summer, not planning to go as far afield but instead I'm going racing, hoping to run the full Atlantic RallyMoto series and a few Dual Sport rides. I'm also debating a trip down to Key West and the Mississippi Hill Country trail, or going back to the Plains.
  5. spotch

spotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats flippin sweet... I don't know how I missed this action for so long. Awesome report and thanks for the gear reviews... they'll be helpful to those of us who keep planning on taking a trip like that but probably won't be able to for 5-10 years lol.
  6. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    No time like the present to start planning! :norton Who knows, once you've got the plan you might find a way to get away sooner. :freaky
  7. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a great report, thanks for sharing.

Todd
  8. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Bookmarked....another great RR I wanna check out.

I know I have seen it before, but rack system is this with the incorporated gas can. Its probably the one I'll get when I get my WRR.

[​IMG]
  9. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    It's raining here and my arms in a sling. I just spent the afternoon reading the entire thread. Great job, I really enjoyed it.
  10. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    emerson.biguns made the rack on the left side, but I don't think he's making any more. You'll have to find one used... I think if I do it again, I'd mount a 1gal on the tail and stick to saddle bags for luggage.

Glad people are still reading and enjoying my little ride. :)

11. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    I got the link for it from your post in the Main WRR thread. :D Thanks for the info.
  12. rctr

rctr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing with us!

jimmy
  13. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    You have a pic of the rack with no bags on it by chance??
  14. street Thunder

street Thunder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR thanks for sharing
  15. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Sure do!

Rotopax rack
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only pic I have of the dirtbagz rack
    [​IMG]
  16. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am reading your RR now and about half way through. Great trip and RR. :thumb
  17. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    I sure wish that they were still in production because I want one. I am currently trying to figure out which method of carying extra fuel I will use without buying a new Safari tank. Anyone have one that they want to sell?
  18. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really fine trip report. Appears that Sam's GPS tracklogs aren't updated with closures and essential detours. My riding buddy & I have his maps and GPS data (somewhere). Did you document at what milemarkers on his maps the closures and detours were?
  19. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Didn't mark it, sorry. The big detour is in Mississippi, which I got from this thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9921178&postcount=62

The TN off-piste excursion, and well most of them, were a mapping issue on my part imo, not a TAT routing issue. The roads get hard to read in Oklahoma and Arkansas... The problem isn't Sam's routes, as his maps match up very well with the CityNav2010 maps from Garmin, the problem is that bridges have been removed, roads closed/erased, etc and the maps haven't been updated. None of the reroutes took me more than 5-10 extra miles and were always just as if not more scenic. Think of the route as a solid suggestion, not canon. :D
  20. doogin

doogin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    inspiring RR... beautiful trip. It's also great to read that you got your license in 2008 (same as me) and felt comfortable doing this long a trip. Had you been riding before off road or are you a total beginner? Good luck with the classes