Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sums it up nicely.
  2. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    More lane splitting - yes please, make it legal!!

I was zipping around ATL yesterday, running errands on the Zuma 125 - super beautiful day and good way to knock out the list in this busy city. Scooter haters be silent, I own some 'real' motos too. :lol3

Without writing too much - I was making a lane split in stopped traffic to advance in acres of unused tarmac (4 lanes v'ing to 2 x 2) which ignited scooter hating Sequoia. The split was to last but one car - just the Sequoia then the road was mine. I’d scale the infraction at 1.5 / 10. I lit indicator to convey intentions and he went for block - his wife must have run off with another man on a Zuma. He got to within 6” of car next to him so successful. When all the lights went green off we go. I give him the wanker hand as council to relieve some of his pent tension which really fires him up!!

He’s still in front of me and starts slamming on the brakes and lurching his car in attempt to scare me (I’m laughing my ass off - what a pussy!) This is where it gets awesome - so far just another day driving the ATL. I see a black Escalade coming in hot. He’s in the right lane so gets up next to me and rolls down his window starts shouting “Is Sequoia trying to hurt you?!?!?!” I’m in my helmet so respond with both hands in air - WTF!! Escalade throttles past me through a couple of lights before he gets next to Sequoia and everyone ends up pinned by red. Dude from Escalade jumps out of car and he’s a massive hulk of a man. Runs over to Sequoia driver's window and starts shouting at portly dude in Sequoia ‘What the fuck are you doing!!! Guy’s on a bike you fucking asshole!! Get out of your truck!! I’m going to kick your ass!!” Mr Sequoia probably shit himself. I’m really laughing now, telling Escalade no worries and many thanks my good brother!!

GA Junior Golf tag - JG 2913 - keep an eye out for the POS!!
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    So awesome.
  5. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    ….. which includes at least 15 different nations. I am surprised it is illegal in some American states.
  6. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    the answer is YES!!

taking out side view mirrors one cager at a time across this great land :lol3

(and alaska 'n hawaii, of course. so the 48 mainland and them, too :1drink )
  7. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    that is meant to be tongue 'n cheek, btw. lest someone burst into this fine thread and accuse me of shenanigans on the road!!!
  8. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine how annoying it would be to ride a motorcycle in a country/state where you couldn't lane split. It reduces traffic congestion and travel time for everyone, motorcyclist and car driver alike.
  9. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    yup, that is true

just to be serious for a moment (if i can manage that lol) i understand its a non issue for those who live in less populated towns and cities, and many fall of the side of "illegal" because laws it would seem are hard to change. and with such a small amount of motorcyclists on the road what would be the motivation of any politician to push for this? it might even be unpopular where its proposed

opposition? i don't understand that, especially if by fellow riders in traffic congested cites. and yet others think (according to the poll) only at controlled intersections. which would be much better then nothing and keep me riding

but do these voters also think no freeway splitting, or the slowest moving cars in front of you? that is natural when a space is there for a bike, and you're riding one.

anyway enough of that. didn't give a mind to riding a bike for many years and have driven all over the state, and for many years in SoCal. the lane splitters didn't bother me then, in fact i barely noticed 'em. and when i did i honestly did not think one way or another about them. let them do what they do

and so i still feel that way about it. i like that one video on youtube where the guy says "its just what motorcycles do." pretty much sums it up for me

but all 50? i say "let the states decide." trouble is they never will one way or another. a nice shade of gray on the matter is the best many can do
  10. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet if someone tried to pass a "no Passing" law, making you go as slow as the slowest vehicle there would be a great outcry, even though it is exactly what they are saying to us....

but we don't do ourselves any favors as a group, what with loud pipes, 100MPH+ on public roads, and other stupid stunts.
  11. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    They tried that in France - no overtaking/white-lining/filtering. So they organised a protest where each bike would take the same space as a car - and brought Paris to a standstill. They also organised hundreds, and maybe thousands, of bikers to use the Metro in full gear. Broke that as well :) Fun and games.
  12. Deltron

Deltron Of the Golden Flower

Oddometer:
    They should do this in every city!! to get filtering legalized get a bunch of bikers and go in a single file line take up shit ton of space.
  13. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Repaired.
  14. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Actually pretty sure that there are a 5-6 other states that don't have specific prohibitions about lane splitting. I'm also really sure that you don't want to try it in front of a cop in any of them.
  15. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can tell you that Maryland State Patrol is not amused if you pass them while lane splitting and they are stuck in the traffic jam, I am guessing that he did not get my license plate number as I never got any awards in the mail, but he did flash his lights at me after I went by... :deal
  16. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt that here in SC MOST drivers would be out to get a rider if they thought the rider gained an advantage. Many would chase the bike down. If that sounds like fear, it is.

Education? Right, can we get them out of the left lane first?
  17. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nono

Lane Splitting Legal in California

California is the only state that specifically provides for legal lane splitting. According to the California Highway Patrol, lane splitting is legal if it is done in a "safe and prudent manner." :deal
  19. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Indeed its glorious.

I still feel dirty when I do it, but damn if I don't do it.
  20. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even better was when lane splitting and some asshat tried to cut me off... had to really slam the brakes and almost dropped the bike.

Unknown to both of us, there was a CHP motorcycle cop right behind me!

"You in the white Sierra, pull to the shoulder. Now. BMW rider, take care and be safe."