New from Gainesville.

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Zane Neher, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Zane Neher

Zane Neher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd introduce myself.

Im from Gainesville and though im not new to riding Ive never actually owned a dual sport or even a dirt bike. Have wanted one though. I love motorcycles and I love offroading and being out in the field so I figured why not.

I have a 91 DR250 that I already snapped the throttle cable on so I'm stranded until tuesday. The bike looks and feels good otherwise. Acn't wait to actually get some solid seat time though.
    No one had the OEM or even aftermarket replacements, has anyone used a cable from another bike for a quick fix? I had to order a motion pro push/pull set up and it's already a week later than what the sales guy said it would have been.

Anyway,
    anyone else from my area?
  2. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Gville!

There's a few of us around, we'll generally do some dual sport riding on the weekends and/or afternoons. That's on hold pending a couple of bike builds, but that can't last forever, right?

Oh, regarding your throttle cables, check this CL link out. According to a parts fiche, they might work.

1992 SUZUKI DR 350 Dirt Bike - $150 (NE)

I wouldn't pay money for the whole thing unless it came with a title, but he might part out a few bits. If that doesn't work, Streit's will price match online retailers, so figrue $21 per cable and ~3-4 days delivery.

Best,
  3. Zane Neher

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, sent the guy an email..

Do you guys usually post up on here for rides or just get a hold of each other? Do you guys hit up bike night? I haven't been since they moved from Dockside.
  4. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Cool beans.

We usually don't do bike night, generally get together via texts or Facebook. Sometimes we'll post up here, but as that requires planning it doesn't happen that often :D. PM me your cell, see about meeting up for lunch and talk more.

Best,
  5. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Zane, DR250 and DR350 share a shitload of parts-- they are essentially the same platform with only the engine displacement differences. You just need to eagle-eye the SE vs E distinctions (kick only vs e-start etc) between the two when looking for parts interchange

DR200 is a whole different animal-- different frame, swingarm, geometry etc

Good luck and welcome
  6. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Get the bike running?
  7. Zane Neher

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up, Mug.

Yup, been driving her around a good bit. Pretty fun bike. Kinda wish the critter was an e start sometimes, but fun none the less.
  8. NotAFullDeck

NotAFullDeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New rider in Gainesville too. 2001 dr650 mostly stock, I used to ride with you a few years ago Zane. I had a streetfightered rc51 and was good friends with Brad. Got the DR a month ago a also looking for other gainesville riders. I met up with NewcastleAdam and friends on accident and they showed me a good riding place. Looking for more action.
  9. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Once you get knobby tires it'll definitely open up your riding areas. The old mobile home park behind Butler Plaza has a few nice spots and a hill climb. There's some fun bike paths by the corner of NE 9th St and NE 31st Ave which I managed to shear off a brake fitting about 100 ft in on. Give me a text, see about exploring this weekend.
  10. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    Diggin that plan :evil
  11. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    How's Sunday morning look for folks?
  12. NotAFullDeck

NotAFullDeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got over the seven day flu. omg.... Never the less Ill be riding alll day all weekend to make up for it. Ill send you a text to see if you guys are riding Sun. Im still waiting on approval to stay at this guys house in ceder key next weekend. If it falls through I might just ride the Sat and head home after we get to cedar key. Close to 400 miles of riding that day. I wish I could trailer to Ormond instead of riding the 120 miles. If anyone has a truck I have access to trailers....
  13. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    We found some neat stuff around Main/53rd Ave, might be down for more tomorrow.
  14. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Some pics from yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a sand "pit" by that "lake" which allowed us to really play with our knobbies. Kai tried a rooster but his rear wheel was too planted, and ended up doing an 80 degree wheelie. He was...surprised :D
  15. NotAFullDeck

NotAFullDeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That area used to be really awesome to ride minus the hobo camps everywhere. I havnt been back since they built the new GRU facility so Im sure some is gone. We used to start in an industrial park off 6th and 13th kinda and would end up near waldo and 53rd
  16. Zane Neher

Oddometer:
    Ya'll need to quit riding when I work.

Never realized so many dual sports were around Gainesville until I picked up mine..

I may have access to a truck. If Alex buys Adam's bike we could get a group going. I feel I need to do my valves and I should probably see if I can find a clutch..

Deck, the Bike sounds familiar. Brad with the f4i that dated Olga?
    Hit me up whenever man, I know of places where I took my jeep, but game to ride where ever.
  17. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
  18. NotAFullDeck

NotAFullDeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same Brad. I live on 39th rd behind Gator Dockside so i see your bike a lot. Just spent 30 min after work today widening the trails behind creekside mall. will probably do 30 min a day as i come back from work. In a few weeks should be some good technical singletrack :evil
  19. NotAFullDeck

NotAFullDeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got new Shinko 244s i need to put on. Might do it Sat if no one is riding. Want to ride Sun also but have to work at 3. Hopefully will see some trails this weekend
  20. Zane Neher

Oddometer:
    Other than goofing around at the house in Bronson, I am off this weekend.