Dual Sport Magazines?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 150ron, Jan 15, 2013.

1. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried doing a search for this, but found a few OLD threads, so hoping there is something out there available now.

Is there any dual sport oriented magazines out there? tried searching at the market, walmart, new stand, etc, but mostly its either track stuff, or harley type, or sports bike, looking for some thing dual sport oriented (or the closest thing to it) to subscribe to.
  2. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
  3. Flydream

Flydream King of the Atlantic

Oddometer:
  4. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i been looking too but only found a few ok ones. road runner and bmw magazine because ii have a bmw f650gs. dirt rider is ok with a little dualsport stuff sometimes.
  5. epix1718

epix1718 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:

The world has changed and the days of magazines printed on paper are
    numbered. Just as drive-in movie theaters and video rental stores came and
    went, so too will magazines which use paper. The future involves web-based
    publishing. And that future is here now.

Other than the stuff mentioned above, the Horizons Unlimited and Expedition Portal
    websites ( and of course ADVrider itself ) are some of the best sources of info on
    dual sport riding. Chilly White's website ( enduro360 ) is a good source of info from
    a guy who has been there and done that ( Chilly has been an ISDE team member etc. ).
    There is also Thumper Talk, and KTM Talk.

Yeah, I miss the old days of magazines which were really great. For example : Road & Track
    when Rob Walker was reporting about F1 races, Cycle Magazine with Cook Nielson,
    Phil Schilling, and Gordon Jennings, Dirt Bike with Rick Sieman ( Super Hunky ) etc.

But the worm has turned and there is no going back, at least not until someone invents
    a time machine.

7. W-Gator

W-Gator Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Dave1

Dave1 OCCR

Oddometer:
    I was looking too. I looked for digital magazines for my iPad. I went with Dirt Bike magazine. Seemed to be he best to get a little of everything dirt oriented. Also, the app gets good reviews and works well. There was one other digital magazine for adventure/dual sport, (I can't remember the name) but the app got bad reviews about crashing, slow downloads etc.

I agree that the days of good print magazines are numbered.
  9. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, agree, and not that happy about it either. I'm 55, and I like turning pages and looking at all the ads in the back pages. Goofy stuff there.
    My Newsweek subscription went all-digital, and I haven't gotten an issue since. Emails go unreturned, and as for phone calls.... some idiot in New York or wherever, who f&*ed my subscription, is astonishingly hard to get ahold of to un&* it.

1911fan, voting "No Confidence" in technology. From my laptop.
  10. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, not strictly dual sport (mostly about 4 wheels), but I find Overland Journal really interesting.

High quality writing, longish articles with history, great photographs and every issue seems to have at least one moto article.

http://www.overlandjournal.com/

I keep every issue. They can be re read many times. The breadth of content is refreshing.

Check the sample issue/articles:

http://www.overlandjournal.com/journal/sample_issue/
  11. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see why digital magazines can't be pushed to my iPad or be downloaded when I sync with iTunes. I open my magazine app and it asks me if I want to download the latest issue so I click on the button and now it slowly starts to download and if I try to close that app and open another one it stops the download.

I read an article where in New York they started a magazine download and then left their apartment, walked to the nearest store and bought the magazine and then walked back to the apartment. They had a magazine in hand, but the electronic magazine was still downloading.

I think more work needs to be done before I give up my print magazines.

Chad
  12. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:

+1 on advmoto great magazine!

And I hear there might be a comprehensive tire changing article coming up....:evil
  13. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree . . . especially since the editorship changed -- the previous editor's "the only REAL way to do anything is the way I would do it" was becomeing wearing . . . .

If you liked him, though, he is still available online ;-}
  14. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    +1 and times 1000000000000

Best magazine on the planet! Have both digital and print versions. I subscribe to the digital version read the page flip on the computer or put the PDFs in my Kindle App on the tablet. Don't bother with the Android app, can do everything with a digital subscription and do it better.
  15. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Escape -----
    Is only quarterly at present, hard to find, on news stands only, published be the folks at Interlink media LLC Palm Coast Fla.
    Who also publish Motorcyclist,Motorcycle Cruiser,Sportrider, Super Streetbike, ATV rider & Dirt Rider. Escape is dedicated to both off road and tarmac touring .

I would like to see this mag done up monthly

Contact is:

Motorcyclist,
    PO Box 420235
    Palm Coast,Fl 32142-0235
    1-800-800-7433
  16. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Escape -----
    Is only quarterly at present, hard to find, on news stands only, published be the folks at Interlink media LLC Palm Coast Fla.
    Who also publish Motorcyclist,Motorcycle Cruiser,Sportrider, Super Streetbike, ATV rider & Dirt Rider. Escape is dedicated to both off road and tarmac touring .

I would like to see this mag done up monthly

Contact is:

Motorcyclist,
    PO Box 420235
    Palm Coast,Fl 32142-0235
    1-800-800-7433
  17. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that the plug has been pulled (again) on this magazine . . . .though I agree, it was well done, and deserved a better distribution than it got, it was a victim of catch 22 management . . . . .
  18. That'sLife

That'sLife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^What he said. Seems like they were failed by the publisher.
  19. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    +1. I subscribe to that and also TBM (Trail Bike Magazine) another UK mag.

Between them, they provide just the right volume of motorcycling news, about the aspects/types of bikes I'm most interested.

The staff at both magazines that I've met/ridden with are cool; not egotistical dicks at all.