V-Strom Front wheel corrosion

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by steak72, Apr 23, 2011.

1. steak72

steak72 Seeking Balance

Oddometer:
    Last spring, I had my local bike shop install a set of Conti-Road Attacks on my 08 Wee. (Love the tires, no problems) This spring, as I was getting the bike out for this season, I noticed my front tire was low/flat (8-10 lbs) Ok, it did sit all winter, and I didn't think too much of it. Inflated the tire to the proper psi. and away I went.
    Two days later, the front was low again. This time it was down to 22psi. Re-inflated, and went straight to the shop that installed the tires. By the way, there were no visible signs of anything being weird or out of the ordinary at this time.
    At the shop, the Tech sprayed the entire wheel with a soapy solution to see if there was an obvious reason for the loss of pressure. There it was. The bead was leaking. So the tech removed the wheel, and removed the tire. The cause was evident immediately. All over the wheel, on the insides of the bead, and in the middle, were areas of corrosion. Big, flaky, white powdery looking stuff. It almost looked like the kind of stuff you would see on a corroded battery.
    The tech cleaned it all up, and inspected the paint for obvious defects. He didn't see anything that would cause this type of issue. I had him remount the tire, and reinstall the wheel. This was a month ago, and so far, I have not had the tire lose any pressure. Needless to say, I am almost scared to ride, knowing that this corrosion will come back, and could potentially cause the tire to lose pressure quickly.
    I purchased this bike new, and opted for the extended warranty. However, the dealer is now out of business, and the extended warranty expired 6 weeks before this issue.
    So this brings me to two questions. 1- Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, how did you resolve it? and 2- Would you look for a new wheel, or try to have the original wheel 'reconditioned'?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Ride it and forget it. The tire will only lose pressure quickly if you have a blowout :deal What you have/had is a slow rim leak NBD IMNSHO If you are really worried a can of tire sealant should solve all your worries until you go to have your next tire installed
  3. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Find a different shop to mount tires, or mount them yerdamself.

Sounds like they used dish detergent to make their own tire mounting lube -- very stupid. Dish detergent is very corrosive.

Use a proper tire mounting lube, like RuGlyde from Napa. It's a basically a mild potassium soap with anticorrosion additives.
  4. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    Take the tire off, clean up the crap with a wire brush, then prime the wheel in the bead and center area with a decent self-etching primer.
  5. Ri-Ra

Ri-Ra Burgeoning

Oddometer:
    I usually only see that when people use a chemical sealant, like Fix-A-Flat. These things are corrosive, it seems, as I've removed tires containing such side-of-the-road remedies and found rims pitted or with pealing paint/chrome. As stated above, don't be afraid to ride your bike because of the possible emergence of a slow leak. Just keep an eye on your air pressure. And don't be too quick to blame anyone. I've been in the tire business for 11 years and have never heard of soapy water corroding wheels, but I've also never worked in a shop that didn't use a proper tire lubricant. Cleaning and painting the wheel would save you the cost of a new wheel, which I'm sure is expensive. You could also have a tube installed. I have a tube in the back tire of my strom right now. It works like a charm, you just can't plug it on the side of the road...
  6. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've also seen it if using Simple Green to wash your bike and/or as a tire lube. Simple Green kills aluminum. :puke1
  7. steak72

steak72 Seeking Balance

Oddometer:
    So, the bottom line is--check tire pressure regularly, (which I already do, religiously) and just get out and ride? I'm cool with that. I am still unsure what the cause was, but its pretty much irrelevant now. I really just wanted to get the word out that this could be the cause of an air leak. Timely reminder, no?

Ride safe.
  8. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    +10. Also I bet they did not clean the rim. Last tire change on my Seca I did not srub it down well enough. After sitting the bead would leak.m I had to remount it.
  9. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    And while you are being told what not to worry about, add this to the list: Your Warranty! It wouldn't have covered wheel corrosion anyway......