Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda started out with smaller, affordable, fun yet practical bikes... Now with the release of the new 250's, 500's and the Grom they are returning to the original formula with the benefit of technological advancements (FI, disc brakes, etc).

The CB500x is the top dog of the new affordable line in my opinion(the nc700, and new cb1100 retro are cool too). It is much better looking in person, and if the wife would not have shot me, I very well could have been persuaded to purchase it. I did not have a chance to ride it, but it felt really nice sitting on it. The CB500x will be a great seller. On a side note the Grom is apparently selling like hot cakes. Cool little bike, and the reviews seem to be agreeing.
  2. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the older generation . . . Like me. Remember the Honda Motosport 350?

The CB5X is like a modern day Motosport 500:

[​IMG]
    Phipsd likes this.
  3. DonQx

DonQx Slow & enjoying it

Oddometer:
  4. dougwo

dougwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should really specify Honda USA because Honda Japan never stop making those great CBs and smaller bikes. They are still making CB400 Super Four!!!!

It seems like the market today is even more conservative than the 70s and 80s. If you want greater choice of cars and bikes, you really have to move outta country. Hey, even Canada have more choices. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. dougwo

dougwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that on ebay last night also. But it's not really much cheaper than SW motech engine guard, which cost $190usd.

What caught my eyes though is the BMW GS style rear mud guard.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/18123130455...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=181231304553&_rdc=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. mcmann

Oddometer:
  7. DonQx

DonQx Slow & enjoying it

Oddometer:
    cheaper if you're in Oz

unless I'm getting something wrong here

2 bars (engine & tank) for ~US$350 delivered in Oz, that's about US$150 cheaper than the Hepco & Becker set
  8. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gham.
  10. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    My issue is that companies have been going berserk with bigass bikes or bikes so cutting edge they're painful. Like, why not just a regular motorcycle? The CB500s are actually something like regular motorcycles. The new FZs are something like regular motorycles. My big desire is to have basic, low seat 350cc-450cc scrambler or dirt bike. A KTM 390 Scrambler would be perfect. Or even a CB500 Scrambler or DP bike. But everything is so extreme these days. So it's nice the CB500s aren't so extreme. And the NC700x. The V7s. But mostly, I'm drawn to a lot of old bikes, like the CX500 or VT Ascot or VF750S Sabre or old VFR500/750. GPZ550. Good middleweights. Back when you didn't have to be above average height to feel comfortable on a motorcycle. There's a good dozen great old bikes that I think deserve a good resurrection that have few if any modern counterparts. It's not that I'm so spoiled, it's just like....they used to make motorcycles I truly liked, but don't do much of it anymore. Nobody, but nobody, makes just a "trail bike" anymore. But the resurgence of good affordable middleweights is pretty exciting. I guess the recession had some benefit after all.

EDIT: This guy so totally gets motorcycling has lost - http://www.borile.it/gb_multiuso.html
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I have quite a few different buckles/connectors etc I may be able to try if the standard ones are not secure enough. The ones on my Kriega bags don't cause any problems though some cheaper ones on tank bags have let go.

So far, in all the reviews by sports bike and HUBB owners I have read, no one has mentioned the front plastic connectors, let alone say they are a problem.

Pick the bike up tomorrow and the parts in about a week.

I would look at installing the Velcro strap under the seat and if possible under the hand rails as well, much like mcmann shows in his photos.

Will fit the SW skid plate at the same time.

A nice photo of the bags fitted to a CBR500R.
    [​IMG]
  13. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey mcmann.

I understand your concern but I can tell you from personal experience that these buckles will never be a concern. We sell tons of them to BMW S1000rr owners. I have seen several testimonials from these guys talking about the fact that at 120mph and faster the bags did not even move let alone let go.

Kev
  14. mcmann

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you are correct . . . Perfect for their design to remove easily etc.

Since I would mount them under the seat . . . I would add zip ties to the front plastic quick-connectors to make them more difficult to remove when parked at a store or restaurant etc.

I got my SW-Motech Crash bars today . . . It took longer to remove the ample bubble-wrap and plastic packaging than it took to install. A very well made First Class guard. I gave them a good test through the entire RPM range in each gear. Zero harmonic buzz. Very happy with these bars:

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/artikelpdf/sbl_01_380_10000_b.pdf

[​IMG]

The sun provided some glare:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suggestion: the item #'s should be the same for the exact same size part. I did not find this confusing. However, in my opinion, the exact same items should have the same item reference number.

It did reference how many of each size are included . . . Which would be correct it the item#'s were the same.

[​IMG]

The Crash bars should be wide enough to protect the lower engine cases & upper fairing/gas tank:

[​IMG]
  15. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the way SW-Motech tends to do it - the idea is that if a same part is used in multiple steps of the assembly process, it gets a different reference number in the illustrations so that each step/illustration has a unique set of reference numbers. Maybe makes inventory a little longer, but perhaps a little less confusion during installation. (Despite this, I see folks screwing up regularly with installing accessories like this by not paying attention to making sure the right spacer/bolt/washer goes in the right place.)

Overall, I think SW-Motech does about as good a job as any in installation instructions. They make good stuff and it usually fits properly.

- Mark
  16. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanted the center stand and rear hugger to compliment the Evotech rad guard. Entered the Honda part #'s at Bike Bandit under accessories.
    With AMA disc. $191 and change for both. Free ship!

Santa is finally being good to me, (so said my SO).
  17. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Translation: "That's it for you this year!"
  18. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    She said something similar after our anniversary.

Oooh, wrong forum for that discussion!

:lol3
  19. TedG540

TedG540 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked my valves this weekend at the 600 mile mark. In inches:

EX 0.007 0.009 0.007 0.007 Spec 0.011 +/- 0.001
    IN 0.004 0.005 0.003 0.004 Spec 0.006 +/- 0.001

The shimming is rather easy. Getting to the head is a PITA.

I didn't expect the values to this off at 600 miles. I don't know about Honda and their valves these days.
  20. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is time to change (21.000km) my chain and sprockets but I cannot find them in after market shops. Does someone knows a place where they are sold?