Why do people in Washington love to dump their garbage in the woods?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by farkleface, May 13, 2012.

1. farkleface

farkleface ridin dirty

Oddometer:
    I am so sick of happening upon a pile of garbage every Time I want to explore a dirt road or river in Washington. We just had the best ride on the Olympic peninsula this weekend. The weather was perfect and the route was awesome. It is still eating at me that every time we explored a road or trail it ended in a pile of trash or ammo shells and something shot up, usually a car, or a tv but sometimes something as creative as a dishwasher. Why are there so many hillbillys in Washington?
    We were sitting on the high steel bridge and I barely finished commenting on the amount of garbage dickheads throw off the bridge. No sooner a bright red pick up pulls up. A guy and his pregnant girl gets out comes walking up with a bowling ball. He is bright red from the sun, almost as red as his truck. He comes up and tosses the ball over the side of the bridge and it explodes on impact. He says " never saw that happen before" and then Informs me has 16 more in his truck. I wanted to mention to him that it could be considered littering, but between the gun on his hip and the 680' drop I thought better of it.
    I have explored Idaho near sun valley, the riding is awesome the fishing is even better. I never once saw a bit of trash not even a cigarette butt. They respect their wilderness and deserve it. Even the camp spots were left in perfect condition, not a pile of half burnt trash and diapers like everywhere in Washington. Mad props Idaho, washington you can go fuck yourself!
    Oh, wait I live here! I guess, fuck me!
  2. redbastard

redbastard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I grew up in England and with 50 million people in an area the size of Washington state littering was never an issue. There were puplic garbage cans all over the place, but that can't be it. I still remember when I first moved to Canada being confused how much trash people just threw on the ground, everywere. Gun on his hip or now I would have cussed that fucktard up for thowing shit of the bridge.
  3. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having lived in a few different states I can tell you that Washington is not alone in regards to illegal dumping.

The best thing you could have done was to take down the plate number, make and model of the vehicle and a description of the people and called the local law enforcement agency to make a report on what they were doing.

I agree with kwisn, using the "dump" in Washington state should be free.
    Not everyone can afford a $14 dollar fee (or however much it costs) to dispose of trash.
  4. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree that taxing ourselves to operate dumps for free would be cheaper than forestland cleanup but cost is not the issue. Most of these trash piles have hundreds of dollars of beer containers(That's a lot of Keystone Ice!) or disposable diaper packaging. When I'm more mad than disgusted I'll dig through them and take the name and address' off the mail to share with the DNR. Every time that I've done this the mail belongs to people living quite close by and even to small businesses dumping their trash in the woods. And yes farkleface, the foothills of the Olympics are the worst I've seen in the PNW. dd(double disgusted)
  5. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've dug the name/addresses out of garbage multiple times and turned the info with photos over to the DNR.
    They never ever did anything with it.
    But then again, garbage dumping is used as a reason to install gates.
    Maybe the DNR prefers gates over pubic assess to our public lands.
  6. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    Question - Why do people in Washington love to dump their garbage in the woods?

Answer - They are ignorant and stupid. Ignorant because they most likely have not even thought about what they are doing and stupid because if they did actually think about it, they would not change their behavior. Its sad, but this is the way people are these days. I have to take a picture of the shoulder of the road at the exit I get off of everyday and have to look at the trash while waiting for the light to turn red. People dump their full ashtrays, diapers, bottles, cans, papers. It is amazing that anyone could throw that junk out the window or door and not feel that pang of "this is wrong"
    Repulsive.
  7. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hafta agree. I am sick of the garbage in the woods. Having hauled piles off just to have new one show a next weekend it really pisses me off. Gonna shut up now as this usually just get me ranting.:D
  8. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Maybe they are protesting the Discover Pass ??

And you KNOW those fuggers didn't buy that Pass before they drove out there....:1drink

All kidding aside; THIS SUCKS!!
    I littered a while back, left a small bottle behind, and actually felt bad enough about it to ride back to the same spot to retrieve it 2 months later. I do not quite understand why I did it in the first place, I guess because I had just drank it, and was not of sober mind, but it bugged me enough to go back & fix it.

Where I live, in OREGON,....there is a regular pile of McDonalds thrown out a car/truck window on this sharp curve where it cannot be seen by local homes. I'm guessing it's some fat fuck, that doesn't want his wife busting hime for eating fat fuck food.

I think what the OP is seeing is trash near large population areas, which is common just about everywhere.
    Lack of respect for their surroundings.
    :puke1, indeed.
  9. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    +1

The flat rate per/vehicle fee for a run to the dump in Seattle has been $30 since 2010 :huh

Redonkulous , , , , , ,
  10. trailNtent

trailNtent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same thing here in New Mexico, all over the forest and especially the mesa surrounding Albuquerque. I think the fee to go to the dump is too high here, but attribute most of it to lazy assholes.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
  11. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    I wish I could say it is different in Canada, but it certainly isn't. I ride around trails here in Ontario that have become dumps. Not just a bag or two, but full trailer loads; old clothes, furniture, appliances, construction material, boats and sea-doos, etc. It is truly disgusting. :puke1

These trails are not near large populations, so many people feel that nobody will notice.

There are many trails that I would like to bring guests to, but I am embarrassed due to the mess. It is a real shame.

Our landfill system is quite good (at least in my area), as they will let people drop off tires, appliances, metal, cardboard, yard waste, batteries, dangerous chemicals, and electronics for free. The rest is quite cheap. I don't know if it is a money issue (but I am sure it is for many) or more of a "convenience" issue. Having to separate the recyclables from the trash and dumping the appropriate items in the appropriate bins at the landfill takes more time than just dumping it all in the bush. :cry
  12. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am as pissed off at the thoughtless trashy people littering as the next guy. Capitol Forest, my "default riding place, is full of waste left behind by assholes.

But I was truly shocked when I weeded my son's yard in Renton last Tuesday, and the King County Transfer station charged $104 to drop it off! It didn't quite fill the bed of a Dodge 3/4 ton truck.
  13. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same in Oregon. And it's not people who spend time on two wheels.
  14. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread topic is yet another example of why, somewhere along life's road, I've lost my ideal of "sancticty of life". There are a lot of people out there that we'd be better off without. And their future offspring.

I'm not trying to play God, I'm just saying...
  15. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why do people in Washington love to dump their garbage in the woods?

Because Washington is the only state in the country that does not play Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" 100 times every Thanksgiving Day, so most people never got the memo that it is a bad thing to do.

Why I've heard Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving Day everywhere but Washington is one of the truly great cultural mysteries of our time.
  16. Ryel

Ryel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    our government has a hand in this by charging huge fees to take stuff to the dump then making us wait forever to get the job done. That being said, the people you are talking about would still go into the woods. That is who they are.
  17. Jackazz

Jackazz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When recycling yard waste, concrete ect..I always use Pacific Topsoils, its cheaper than the county transfer stations.
  18. What really gets me is sometimes the person could have recycled what they dumped and made a few bucks of the metal and aluminum cans. I don't think that is the case all of the time but i have seen piles of stuff like that. As far as the idiot throwing the bowling ball of the bridge i would have had no problem telling him what i thought of him doing that, hog leg or not. I agree with Guns that i would have had my tablet out writing down info to turn them in, and T Low i agree with you that the world would be better off without some people and their off spring because we all know that stupid+stupid= stupid ass offspring.
    10 years ago i had a random dumping in my backyard riding area where there were envelopes with names and addresses on them all from the same address. I took down the info got out my handy phonebook and what do you know less than 5 miles from my place. I called the # and got a mad father who assigned his "boys" to take the stuff to the dump. I informed him that it made it as far as my backyard and that my next call is the police. It took less than an hour for the "boys" to come retrieve the mess while i watched them. I was thrilled that they had to come back and maybe learn a lesson in laziness!!
  19. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    I blame the California Transplants! :rofl
  20. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that's why the dump is so expensive. Part of it is an attempt to modify behavior and encourage recycling. In the rural east-coast place I grew up in, we were charged by the pound. My parents became instantly super-green, and we started recycling\composting everything imaginable. Our garbage production went from 2-3 bags a week to one bag every two weeks.

You also see this in towns\cities where the city comes and picks up you recycling for free, but you are responsible for taking your trash to the dump or using a service.

The problem is, the dumpers are too dumb\lazy to change their habits.

What I really don't get is appliances; the number of people and organizations that will pick up a broken washing machine for free are innumerable, and yet, it's hard to throw a rock in the wilderness without hitting one.

Also seconding the it's not just Washington thing.