Baja & passports, are they needed

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Closet Doctor, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Closet Doctor

Closet Doctor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip on spring break with the family and we will be riding around Northern Baja for a few days. Just checked our passports and they are expired. We will be crossing at Tecate. Anybody cross there lately without them and have any problems or ideas?
  2. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    you only need them to return...
  3. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Find the passport office near you, do a renewal and pay the quick turnaround fee. My son got his passport and passport card in 3 days.

I've heard folks have success with just a license, but that's very hit and miss depending on who's at the crossing.
  4. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:

You are 100% correct. You can even take illegal drugs, firearms, dead bodies, etc. into Mexico no questions asked.
  5. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have crossed back into the states a number of time at Tecate. The border patrol officers are American. Even with a California Driver License, Passport and proper insurance papers they still give me a hard time. Maybe because I was driving a Van. Two times I have to get out of the Van, stand across the street and wait for an hour while they searched my Van.
    I wouldn't try crossing back into the states with out a passport.
  6. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    You can get your passport in one day if you go to the sf office. It's a hassle though and yes you need your passport to cross back into the us at the tecate border
  7. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Not always true... they do search going south into Mexico also. (At least at Tecate)
  8. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Has anyone lost (or had stollen) a passport and come back into the US? Does having a photo of your valid passport help at all?
  9. wandering fool

wandering fool A Man on a Bike

Oddometer:
    I did a sailboat delivery from Antigua to Maine a couple of years ago and one of the crew had lost his passport but had a photocopy of it. No problems checking into the country. Of course Maine isn't exactly a hotbed of illegal entry, but it thought I'd throw my experience in there for ya.
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    My dad goes down with a Baja race crew, and says occasionally one of the toll road police will threaten to detain those without passports. "My supervisor will be back Monday to straighten it out, or you can pay $100 per person fine."
  11. TTaM

TTaM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What state do you live in? Some offer an Enhanced Driver's License that works at border crossings by sea and land.
  12. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is my understanding that if you are an American citizen, you cannot be denied entry back into the USA. Don't be surprised if you spend a bit of time waiting while your identification is verified though.

The last 3 times I have been to Baja, all within the last year, I have passed through at Mexicali with no delay and I carried just my drivers license and vehicle documents.

In fact, one of the guys I returned with had only his drivers license. His plate had somehow fallen off and he only had a three years old expired registration for the bike and a current proof of insurance card in his possession.

No problem or hold-up what so ever. :webers
  13. Marine By Choice

Marine By Choice Sergeant 0311

Oddometer:
    I returned yesterday. Absolutely need a passport or enhanced drivers license. There are a few times when someone is waved through, but better not count on it. You can get a passport in 1 day at a Department of State Passport office. There is one in San Francisco or Seattle.

14. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is not accurate.

Everytime I have been through with just a drivers license I have had conversation with the Customs agents. They had NO issue with my ID being only a valid Az drivers license. They run your info through their database while engaging you in friendly dialogue about your Mexico visit. The card is returned and you're on to your destination; no admonishments, warnings,citations, threats etc.
  15. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    ^^^ This.

Always carry a photocopy of required travel documents, and pictures on your phone (I use an iOS app called Private that is password protected). This has assisted us numerous times, from showing proof of insurance when asked, to my wife using our National Park pass when I was thousands of miles away...I texted a picture to her, she showed the park official, done.
  16. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about, do I really need the TVIP to go down to South Baja? The only time I've needed it was when traveling over to main land, but I've never been asked for it.
  17. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    No.
  18. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dog. That helps.
  19. flynride

flynride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will likely be checked in Guererro Negro.
  20. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So your saying get it.