More Than Just A Bike?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by corndog67, Jan 10, 2013.

1. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of remarks about how some people love their bike. I mean, very, very attached to their sleds. Stuff like old VFRs, a lot of it on the BMW and KTM specific threads.

Are you especially attached to any one or all of your bikes?

I've got a KTM 950 Supermoto, a Ducati S4 and a CT-70 right at the moment. I like both big bikes. I really like the 70, I had a brand new one in 1970, same as the one I have now. But I could part with any or all of them in a minute if the deal was right.

Any of you got a bike that you will never part with?
  2. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd never part with my SV650s, purely because it was worth so little (due to mileage and aesthetic condition) and held a fair degree of sentimental attachment for me. I sold it a couple of months ago. If I got rid of that, I can't see me ever being too attached to any one bike to sell it.
  3. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    My XL600R is my love, I enjoy maintanence as much as riding it and the raw power the engine produces when that second carby opens up is awesome. I paid too much for it, thats why i cannot sell it. it was a ugly POS when I bought it, but the engine was rebuilt and PO had papers to prove it. new everything in the head almost and a hi-comp piston.

It eats up any bike/quad/buggy/truck in the open desert and $50,000 sports cars at stoplights :D
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had many bikes I really liked, but they all went, because I never have enough time, space and money to have a bike collection.

I think my top bike was a 1969 Triumph Daytona.
    It had a lot going for it, great looks, strong bike, great sound, good in the dirt for a street bike, comfortable, cheap, but after 5 years of hard use it wore me out fixing it all the time.
    Trans issues, clutch issues, oil leaks, vibration breaking things, crappy pattern parts.
    5 years and 50,000 miles and I was done with it.
    If I had the space and money, no way it would have gone.

After having a bunch of other bikes, I have settled on a TU250 which is loads of fun and trouble free, but it sucks in the dirt.
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    All 3 Harleys,2 Yamahas,1 Honda and The Tuono. Selling motorcycles is not an option. I have no wife and kids (never have,never will) so it's just me,Dog and the bikes.
  6. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    I luvs mah FJR. I luvs the fuel range, (On regular!) the valve check intervals, the balance, the handling, the comfort, the wind/weather protection, but I ain't attached to the thang. I'd swap it fer a 2013 in a minute. :evil
    I just ride the shit outta this bitch, 'n she's dun everythang I asked of her 'n mor; quite the ADV bike! :thumb

[​IMG]
  7. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This bike and I already have a 38 year history together!
    'nuff said!

Chris
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like almost every bike. I LOVE only one.

I will never own another feet forward bike. While they are the most prominent here in the states they are just not for me anymore. :nah

I doubt I will ever be without a thumper dual purpose bike of some sort but it matters not which one.

I doubt I could be without a Triumph Triple of some sort. Again it doesn't matter which. Tiger, Sprint, Speed, Street, 675, 800, 955, 1050, 1215... Doesn't matter just so long as I have one. Those who have will understand/ Those who don't should go ride one.

The one bike I will keep forever... re-build when it wears out and will never be sold is one that on paper doesn't make sense. It doesn't go as good, stop as well or turn as sharp as some others but it makes me smile from the inside better than any other and has so much personality that it seems to be alive at times is:

[​IMG]
  9. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Not that attached to any of them. I love bikes in general, but most of the bikes I've owned can easily be replaced. The ones that would be hard to replace are antiques now, but weren't when I sold them. It's common for me to buy and sell two or three bikes a year just because I like to try different rides. The Harleys and Guzzis tend to stay around longest.
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ Never got my hands on one or I might be right there with you on the HP2 ^^^^

I rode one briefly and wanted to ride it more.
  12. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    I trashed my triumph sprint before christmas. Yesterday, it hit me in full force. I believe I cried a little.

Never, ever thought I would be so attached to a bike.
  13. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of them are just collections of parts to me. Replaceable parts. Some of the parts are easier (cheaper) to replace than others, some of them it's better to just replace all of the parts at once.
    The last bike I would sell would be my 2007 450 EXC. I'm not attached to it sentimentally, it's just the best bike I have. I already know what I'm going to replace it with: 2016 or 17 495/500/505/510/515/whatevertheycallitbythen EXC. But right now I have too big of a gas tank collection for it that won't fit the 2013 500EXC :D
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Mine tipped over just before Christmas and it is going to cost me $355 to replace the mid-fairing. :cry

[​IMG]
  15. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Triumph TT Special. They didn't make many, and they had a low survival rate. Most were raced to death. It was the bike to have in the 1960s. I couldn't afford one then, but now I have one. I built it the way it should have been done. Forged pistons, balance job, pro port and valve job with stem seals, full pressure top end oiling, and Megacycle cams. Modern sealants and proper assembly mean it doesn't leak a drop of oil.

I'll never sell it.
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Pictures please. :D
  17. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    I've got a lower (very bottom) black fairing for a T595 Daytona if you want it, just cover shipping. Pretty decent shape.
  18. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Sorry to hear that.

Those are nice bikes.

Details? :lurk
  19. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I think it has as much to do with who are riding with and the path you follow. Good friends, good times, etc.

Ok, I have a KLR :wink:

[​IMG]
  20. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While its not the most powerful, biggest, best or sexiest bike around....I love my 2001 Dakar. While Id maybe consider switching to an F800GS, the price would REALLY have to be right.

Id love to have a 640ADV, but I dont think Id ditch my Dakar to do it. It makes me smile every time I ride.