The Dogs of Baja and Other Totally Irrelevant Things...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dysco, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Cody- what's the name of the place with Olivia and Nathan on Conception bay?
    [​IMG]
  2. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    This one was there, too...

What's the difference between a local dog and a Baja dog? They let dogs into the restaurants in Baja.
    [​IMG]
  3. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Aaaand I'm spent. House hunting in the morning... More tomorrow if I remember. :freaky
  4. codys

codys Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer:

Buenaventura on Bahia de Concepcion.

Views like this...
    [​IMG]

Olivia tossed together this nice breakfast.
    [​IMG]

Oh and the dog of course.

[​IMG]
  5. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    There were 3 or 4 dogs there. Zorra was easiest to ear scratch.
    [​IMG]

There were baitfish right on the shore that morning in huge numbers. Here's a crummy pic.
    [​IMG]

I feel like we did something really intelligent right about this time in the trip... I'm sure I have a picture.
  6. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Found them!

We heard from the Buenaventura folks that the bar at Playa Burro was going to be showing a movie. We figured it'd be fun so we camped a couple of beaches away at Playa Coyote and planned on walking in. We remembered the beers for the 1.5 mile walk but forgot headlamps. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure when we first passed this beach that from the truck I saw a guy chasing this burro as the burro chased a dog. Very Baja.
    [​IMG]

Decent tacos de camaron. Some Shrimp in Baja tastes good but not like the shrimp you'd get in the grocery store in the US. It's a flavor experience. I eat all kinds of critters and liked it a lot... plus I've caught and ate shrimp off the pier in the Puget Sound, which was similar.
    [​IMG]

50 pesos for 6 8oz pacificos in a bucket of ice with an ice pick and a bottle opener! PS: don't use a flash in a bar with a bunch of gringos watching a movie. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Never, ever drive in Baja at night. If you must walk the Uno at night, do not take big steps off the shoulder if you can't see where your foot is going. It could be a big drop. Luckily when it's dark you can see the trucks coming for a mile. Not walking on the road could lead you over broken glass or other un-fun stuff. The white line is nearly always visible. Flash photography will just kill your night vision. It would have been far safer to have driven. :lol3
    [​IMG]
  8. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Agua Verde, I think. At the restaurant that gave us the worst meal of the trip... and had no cokes. :cry Hit the tiny mercado instead and score some stale Bimbo goods.
    [​IMG]
  9. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    The junkyard at the intersection of 1 and 12 (To Bay of LA) is a handy place to know about when bolts start flying of your Husky. I think there were at least 10 dogs there. This guy was the dog-boss for sure.
    [​IMG]
  10. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Dysco!

That last picture looks like that Cesar Milan dude. I didn't know he lived in Baja. Almost certain that's him ....... just left his skates at home, huh?

My wife watches him and then she tries his methods on me. Goofy girl!

I'm pretty sure that those canine behavior modification methods don't work on me.

But I bit her foot, humped her leg, and peed on her pillow just to make my point! :D

I know that Cesar is a sharp guy when it comes to understanding us, ahem, I mean dogs ......... but he's gonna be majorly pissed when he realizes that "his pack" has been infiltrated by a bwack puddy tat. Bad way to start the weekend!
  11. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    Movie night at Big Bertha's...how cool is that!! :clap

We camped at the beach right at Big Bertha's. The next morning a local came by selling the most delicioso pineapple empanadas. :tb
  12. codys

Oddometer:
    Our furthest south camp area was El Juncalito. Not a great beach but a scenic beach none the less.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dysco chatted this guy up for a few hours on boating on the Sea of Cortez.

Dys[​IMG]

While they chatted I started goofing with my oversprung/over valved husky's front fork. The shake down ride took me behind camp on some rocky terrain that let me know the front fork was gonna battle me the entire trip. Grrrr. Nice scenery though.:D

[​IMG]

The beverage of the night.
    [​IMG]

We were off to Agua Verde in the morning . Dysco on the bike, me in the rally support super tacoma.
  13. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I wish we had known there was camping there. That would have made things much simpler. :lol3

We saw very few beach vendors because we got to the campsites later in the day and left about 45 minutes after sunrise most of the time.
  14. codys

Oddometer:
    My typical view of the bike and Dysco that day. :lol3

[​IMG]

A magical beverage of baja. Atleast it wasn't more Coca Cola....

[​IMG]

Hmmm. Rugged yet beautiful area.

[​IMG]

Not sure what Dysco was doing here. Pretty sure having fun though. Deep silt???

[​IMG]
  15. codys

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

the village store at Agua Verde. Under the trees nearby were fridges containing chilled items or atleast slightly chilled items.

[​IMG]

Mike marking his furthest south point on the trip. Then of course hopping it and making another mark. This went on for a while... :rofl

[​IMG]
  16. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    I was just in Auga Verde a few weeks ago and did not see the market, was it close to the beach?
  17. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I told you you could camp there before you left! :lol3

I don't think it's really official, but hey, it's Baja! We just went in to the bar and asked. They said sure! I'm sure they could tell we'd be buying mucho cervesa.
  18. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spy a cat! :thumb
  19. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    :nah

There are no cats in Baja.
  20. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer: