09 KLX250s Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TomN, Nov 5, 2008.

1. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KLX250s thread is so hugh I cannot find the stuff that works for the 09 so I thought we should have a thread just for it.

-------------------------------------------
    I heard the rear rack at cycleracks.com will fit the 09
    ------------------------------------------
    Larger footpegs, I have been told these fit
    http://www.imsproducts.com/

And

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-07-KAWASAKI-KLX-250-300R-650-FOOT-PEGS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem160296641350QQitemZ160296641350QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    ------------------------------------------
    As far as I know there are no tanks that "fit" the 09, there are problems with the choke knob. Hopefully someone will make one soon.
    ---------------------------------------
    This won't help with bent bars, but the generic Kawasaki bar risers on Twisted Throttle fit my '09. I think I went with a 30mm rise, all cables and whatnot worked fine.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I have heard good things about the Slipsreamer Spitfire for a wind shield
    -------------------------------------------------
    Skid Plate
    http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Dirt+Bike+Accessories&webTypeId=90&webCatId=19&allVehParts=true&prodFamilyId=3199#vehicleSelect

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've added Cycra Pro U bend handguards and a Ricochet skid plate. I will be replacing the stock carb with a Mikuni pumper carb and that's about it.

p.s. I also have the Metzeler Six Day Extreme knobbies for it. The stock tires are no good in the mud, they plug up pretty badly..
  3. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Maier Woods Pro handguards on the way, I will let everyone know how they fit.
  4. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Here's mine. :D
  5. NJ-GS

NJ-GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 1200GS right now. I use it mainly on pavement, although it's seen some gravel roads. I got the GS instead of a 1200RT mainly because I anticipated dropping the bike (done it a couple times--low speed, no speed), and I didn't want to mess up all that nice fairing on an RT. Plus, it's friggin cool. The GS is an outstanding bike, a keeper.

However, due to the GS's size and frankly, cost, I'm reluctant take it into serious dirt. I also lack any experience with off-road riding. I'm interested in getting something small and light for short rides and to get into the dirty side of motorcycling.

Part of my "scheme" is for this second bike to be for my daughter to learn on when she comes of age for driving in a little over a year. Note that at 5'10", she's almost as tall as me.

I'm intrigued by the KLX250S. Is this the right bike or should I be considering something else, instead of or in addition to?
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the perfect bike for what you want. If your daughter was short I might say different, but she's got an inch on me.
  7. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    My Daugther is 5 7 and I got her an 09 KLX250s. The seat has been shaved down about an inch. The bike is still a bit tall for her, but she loves the bike.
  8. GB

Oddometer:
    I have a 1200GS and I'd never even consider riding it in the woods. The KLX250S for me is perfect and I also share it with my 15 year old son.
  9. riceburner30281

riceburner30281 misADVenturer

Oddometer:
    I want one! :lol3
  10. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    My '09 is extremely cold-natured. Choke knob doesn't seem to allow partial opening either...it's more of an on/off switch. Apparently, a re-jet could fix this cold naturedness(???), but I'm hesitant to do any mods until after a good breakin period. Even at that, I'm quite happy with power output and don't see rejetting for power alone.

Currently, there's a flat spot (more like a brick wall) around 3000rpm, and the engine won't rev past that until it's fully hot....unless it's choked, then it idles around 4000rpm. Thus, I'd like a variable choke as well.

Just got the bike 10 days ago and happy in every way, except for the warmup/choke stuff. And that'll probably get better after breakin.
  11. monkeyman

monkeyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is the same way. Oddly, a friend bought an identical '09 a week before me, same dealer, same shop setting it up, lives at same altitude as me (5500'). His is only moderately fussy when cold.

I bought the Dynojet kit to see what it does, haven't done it yet. Note that even in the Dynojet docs (if I understood it right) they say that jetting does not change idle mixture or cold start performance. I think that for that you need to drill over the mixture screw cover and play with that. I will start with that, then mess with jetting. Just haven't had a chance the past few weekends.
  12. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought mine a month ago, to have something smaller and lighter than my gs1100. Iam real happy with it. Did my first oil change today. spring on filter is a bit tricky and I put in exactly 1.5 quarts and it a little high on the window. Iam getting 65mpg. A lot of people think its under powered, i feel its just fine. it is only a 250. My jetting is spot on and cold starting no problem.
  13. NJ-GS

NJ-GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Sold!
  14. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey NJ-GS when you get yours let me know, we can go for a ride. I just picked mine up yesterday. :clap
  15. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. GB

Oddometer:
  17. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post, GB. To be honest, I wanted to do that, but I was afraid I'd be afoul of a "RULZ" if I did.

Sleeves and gaskets for the first 4 engines are here, order for the pistons is in this week. First 3 engines will be for testing, then I believe Bill's plan is to intially have 24 conversions available.

To answer one question I've seen, this big bore kit requires no mods to the cases. Your cylinder sent in, sleeved by Bill, then you get it back with the rest of the stuff, to do in your garage. We should be able to have jetting recommendations available, since there will be 3 test bikes.
  18. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stole this info from another board

The IMS Pro-Series foot pegs model number 293113-4 fit the 2009 perfectly and are WONDERFUL!!! Their chart only goes up to 2006.