Used Subarus and the head gasket thing...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Mazaev, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a new 2010 Outback that was bought back because it had so many problems and then the 2011 Outback replacement was such a piece of garbage that I dumped it before having it for a full year.

SOA combined with the horrible dealers soured me on ever going subie again.
  2. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Who was your dealer? I've heard that Van Bortel in Victor NY is great.
  3. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    Yep. Like any car manufacturer, you have a loud minority of frustrated customers. That said, many of the issues stated by folks here have me worried enough not to consider a Subie anymore. They were on the list (for the turbo'd BRZ), but I don't think I can look at them in good conscience until some of these things clear. I spend a lot of money on motorcycle maintenance, but I expect my cars to run pretty well. Maybe I just need to reset my own personal expectations, but until that happens I think it's going to be a little harder for me to buy a Subaru.
  4. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    There is no turbo BRZ, and according to sources, the upcoming tweaks to make an STI version will not be turbo. They will pull 230 hp out of it by tuning the NA motor.

I just got one, it don't need no stinking turbo:deal

Btw, all cars with turbos, regardless of brand, just have more moving parts to break. They tend to not be as reliable as non turbo motors. Even if the turbos no longer go south, all the extra hardware/software can have you frequenting the dealer a bit more than you wish to.
  5. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    All of the other parts. If you can find one that's had all of them replaced too, you'll probably have a pretty good car!
  6. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:

Thanks, bud.

That's kinda what I figured.
  7. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After the initial dealer was completely useless and arrogant I switched to a second dealer in the Hartford area when I got the replacement vehicle. While they were better, SOA muzzled them and made them deny the problems so they wouldn't have to buy a second one back.

It was utterly absurd.
  8. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    You're a little far away. Shame, if you want a used subie I would have a hell of a deal for you. My dad is the original owner of a 2002 WRX with 125k on it. In April of 2012 he parked it after my siblings and I all got together and gave him part of a new retractable hardtop Miata for his birthday. It has a couple of dents and needed a timing belt & tune when he parked it, but it ran fine. Of course now that it has been sitting for over three years I'm sure it needs tires and brake rotors, a fuel system flush, and the aforementioned timing belt & tune up. I wouldn't even crank the engine without putting a timing belt in it at this point.

If anyone local is interested I'm sure he'd let it go cheap. It's in Columbus OH.
  9. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    One other thing - Subaru can go fuck themselves for repeatedly playing that commercial where they show the dog getting old. Even if I wanted a Subaru I wouldn't buy one because they keep reminding me that my dogs are getting old and will die :fyyff
  10. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is always good to get many opinions.

In this area, where you can stop at an intersection and see only Subarus in all lanes, you are still expected to pay a premium on a non premium car.

I've been unlucky with cars in general, of all brands. I get them serviced/do some service myself, but always seem to get lemons.
  11. cogitate

Oddometer:
    They really push the dog thing. When I went to the Subaru dealer a few weeks ago to look at the BRZ, there were all sorts of placards showing dogs with their cars, dogs with the owners with the cars in the background.

The car was parked outside, so we went to look at it. The dealer opened the door, I sat in the drivers seat. My dog stood outside the car. I went around to open up the passenger side, and told my dog to get in. He was reluctant, it was not "his" car. He got in, stepped over the driveshaft, over the drivers side, out the car, and came up behind me:lol3

Subaru should have been filming it for a commercial.
  12. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I don't mind their association with animals. In fact, they've donated quite a bit over the years. But I most certainly mind them toying with the viewer's soft spot for their pet by showing the aging dog and playing the sappy music, only to talk about the "loyalty" of the car.

Idiots. Since a car is incapable of loyalty, it stands to reason a dog conveys more loyalty in a day than a mechanical object can convey in its entire mechanical life. Really dumb.
  13. Vbird

Vbird In Room 237

Oddometer:
    I think it's called advertising. :D
  14. cogitate

Oddometer:
    Love. It's a Subaru.

I am going out now to drive mine. I am in love.
  15. Jayrod1318

Jayrod1318 Poster

Oddometer:
    My 2011 legacy wanders all over the road, many have had this problem and have been "fixed" by SOA.

My dealer contends that nothing is wrong with it.

Mine doesn't fall into the vin ranges that had some pretty serious issues. (apparently)

off center stud bolts on hubs, defective electric steering, unbalanced tires, incorrect alignment and host of other things.

Lots of owners have taken things into their own hands and have installed different suspension, tires wheels sway bars ect.

I don't highway drive much, but when I do it's a white knuckle affair to keep my lesbian car on the road. No joke.

Other than that it's a pretty good car.:lol3
  16. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    $7K for a NA 02 Imreza is a HUGE price. Like $2K huge.
  17. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I never considered a Subi due to the head gasket issue until the 2010 models became available.

I bought both my daughters 2010 Outbacks. Both have over 65,000 miles on them. One daughter had to have the tires rebalanced and a four wheel alignment. Both get over 30 MPG on the highway with the 2.5L/CVT combo. One of my daughters thinks she is Danika Patrick, so her city MPG kinda sucks at 24 MPG.

I bought a 2012 Outback 3.6 Limited. It's a traction monster, pulls my 18 ft Hewes Craft better than my 05 Avalanche ever could. When not pulling my boat, it is a little hot rod, 0-60 in 7.6(?) seconds, and burns regular gas. I'm glad I did NOT by a new 5 series BMW X drive. My 3.6L Subi rides better than all three 5 series that I test drove.

The above mentioned allwheeldrive website hits the nail on the head concerning the infamous head gasket issue. It is real, and I hope it's not a problem for my daughters 2010 outbacks.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Great. If you really want your advertising to work and have a dog centric customer base, you might consider not reminding said customers of dead and dying pets. It's like Harley having a commercial where they show a horrific motorcycle crash and say "look how well our leather jacket held up. Aside from his head being caved in, the corpse looks perfect!" In other words, the intended message gets lost in a negative tangent.

Bad advertising.
  19. Jamie

Jamie .

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat here. I'm beginning to think it's a problem with my expectations. As vehicle prices skyrocket, my expectations of quality and reliability increases. Maybe that's unreasonable. It doesn't help that most dealer service dept techs around here should be working at jiffy lube.
  20. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    The part that galls me is related to the premium people think they are worth.

they list a 2003 Subaru Outback with 160,000 miles, say it is has been a great car and in perfect shape. They then list a dozen parts that have been recently replaced. Usually wheel bearings, Tie Rod, Wheels, Windshield, Shocks/struts, timing chain/belt, and headgasket.

I'm not sure what to buy next as I've had bad experiences with Subarus, Chevrolets, Chrysler, and Ford.