OBCDR vs WABDR. !!.

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by NortwestRider, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you try to Navagate Routes or just follow Tracks?

Yes a filtered Track that comes to a fork is a little hard to follow but if you have good maps in your GPS, when you come to a fork, just look down and it should be obvious which one to take.
  2. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
    No routes, just following tracks. I upgraded my GPS between the WABDR and ORBDR, which probably had a lot to do with easily navigating the ORBDR.
    All tracks were downloaded off internet then verified on basecamp/google earth.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean "upgraded my GPS"? New unit, new firmware, or new maps?

I assume you got Tracks off the Internet but who's & from where?

If you download actual active logs with time stamp, google is kind of waste of time. Most of my tracks are double checked against two or more riders recording them.
  4. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:

New unit.....went from an old GPS60 with little internal memory and limited map options to a GPSmap62s. Much better.

The tracks I downloaded from somebody at GPSexchange. Then I will double check the tracks against google maps to see what the roads look like and to make sure that there is a road at the track. Sometimes when traveling in canyons or on steep terrain the tracks can be quite a ways off from any actual road, and google earth is an easy way to check the track accuracy for me, YMMV.

If you want both the raw tracks we started from and the finalized set tracks that we used, pm me.
  5. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 2002 Oregon parks and rec took down the markings thanks to a lawsuit. Complaining about one small section you had to go around and added a bypass that was a bit 'annoying'? really? Oddly, I didn't have any issues doing all 4 routes with only a gps.
  6. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Yeah, didn't they get sued by OOHVA?

I agree though... I don't have a problem using just a GPS too. Heck for me, it's part of the adventure.

Rob
  7. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.oohva.org/history.html
  8. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
  9. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, "annoying"?. come on what do you want- I-5 ?. Part of the
    " adventure" is figuring out such challenges.
  10. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea, damn them for wanting a clean place to live....and don't even get me started on the traffic ticket revenue generators!

oh to be young and naïve.
  11. doc_simple

doc_simple Meat popsickle

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, looking for a little advice on this route. doing route 4 to the upper third of route 5 section 2. Then we are thinking to loop up to seneca and do 5 section 3 up to either 26 or 84 depending on how long that part takes. We have 5 days planned for this, including the return to Portland on Monday (Labor Day).

Does sound to ambitious for about 4 days of riding? 2 idiots on v-stroms :)

We are not overly concerned about the difficulty, will just go slow when we need to, but I am concerned about Seneca to 84 in a day or a little more...

Finally, any word on how bad the fires are out there? We were planning on mostly just finding a piece of dirt to sleep on, do you think we should try to find campgrounds? Been in Oregon for 20+ years but have not spent much time on the dry side, looks pretty awesome!

thanks for any words o' wisdom :ear