EziMoTow - Too Easy!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LC8TY, Jan 16, 2009.

1. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    Just before Xmas I took delivery of an EziMoTow bike carrier system. I had a look around at the different types of racks and even though it was the most expensive (about $850.00 ), I thought it would be the best one for me.
    Dealing with Justin from EziMoTow was very easy, he has all the answers and stands by his product.
    Installing the EziMoTow does require a little bit of work but it does fit any of the Reece style tow hitches. Firstly you have to drill a 16mm hole through the EMT shaft to line up with the hole in the hitch so the retaining pin can be installed, secondly you need to drill and tap at least one hole in the hitch so an anti-rattle bolt can be installed. I used 2 bolts and once they are secured the EMT doen't move at all.

Pic of the EMT in the down position.

[​IMG]
  2. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    EMT up>

[​IMG]
  3. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    Bike on and in the up position.

[​IMG]
  4. searchin oz

searchin oz Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer:
    Is it easy to remove the bike?

I drive a 'Cruiser wagon and still need reasonable access to the back. Not the tailgate, just the lift up window.

How do you think it would go?
  5. ChrisCrossed

ChrisCrossed Now sans KLX...

Oddometer:
    Perfect timing - seriously interested in buying one of these things for a long trip that may eventuate after Easter :wink:

Looks a better thing than the Newlite version.
  6. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    The bike is secured to the EMT at three points, two being U bolts through the foot pegs with large wing nuts and the third being a strap around the fork, above the lower triple clamp. You could add more straps if you wanted but I followed the instructions and it was more than enough.

[​IMG]
  7. Phil_Fong

Phil_Fong Over Regulated

Oddometer:
    Fuggin oath, all the stuff you carry on the ute doesn't tangle / damage the bike.
    I love it.:D

Got a link for this product? L8TY or just google EziMoTow i suppose
  8. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    Test time

I gave the Cruiser a bit of a flogging around the block for about half an hour, looking in the rearview the bike hardly moves,then stopped to check if the wing nuts had come loose.
    Still tight. :thumb
    [​IMG]
  9. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    Back in the shed I was pretty happy with the whole thing but the real test was about to happen soon.

If you look to the left of the hydraulic jack there is a pin that locks the EMT in the up position.

[​IMG]
  10. Pom

Pom Old fart on big bike

Oddometer:
    The Back of Beyond, SW Queensland, Australia
    It looks good, but is it legal ?
    I think in Qld it would get expensive was it looks like the rear lights and rego plate would hidden by the bike, maybe one of those boat trailer light boards would get past that. The other thing they can be big on here is hang too far out the back, how far does it stick out ?

Pom
  11. ChrisCrossed

Oddometer:
    Have a look in Post 8 - they come with a light bar built in.

http://www.ezimotow.com.au/
  12. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    The big test run for the EMT was a 9000 km road trip from Kununurra to Bremer Bay and back over the Xmas/New year period.

The EziMoTow performed brilliantly! I only had to tighten the wing nuts on the u bolts at about every 500 kms but it was only about a quarter a turn. This was over all sorts of road conditions - Bumpy NW hyways, gravel roads and even the freeway in Perth.

The best thing about carrying the bike like this is there is plenty of room in the ute for all the other gear I need to take and I can have the roof rack on to roll the swag out and keep the sun of everything. The mutt likes it too.

[​IMG]
  13. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    You woudn't have to remove the bike, just remove the locking pin on the EMT and lower it enough to open the rear window. Ezi
  14. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    Not yet Pop, Its rated for 200 Kg so its touch and go with the big V twin. Justin from EMT reckons it would do it but doesn't advise it for long trips. If you drop the wheels of the bike, which is very easy to do, it would handle it no worries.
  15. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    Some state regs require that it doesn't overhang the sides of the vehicle by more than 150mm. Not sure what the WA regs are. If I remove the wheels from the bike its under the 150mm.

Rear overhang? not sure as I haven't measured it. The reason why the shaft on the EMT isn't pre drilled is so you can set it up as close or as far away from the vehicle as you want.
    Its shorter than a trailer so it must be OK.
    It comes with a light board and any plug to suit your setup ( specify what type when ordering ). The gap between the lights will fit most number plates but I had a reflective sticker made for a about $5.
  16. ChrisCrossed

Oddometer:
    How did you go with the lower parts of the bike being sandblasted from the rear wheels of the ute? I know it would be an issue with wahtever setup you used (even a trailer) on dirt roads.
  17. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    I bought the wingham welding works bike carrier. It was $350.

[​IMG]

It works fine, but the trouble with this one is that even with the 4WD fully loaded, it is too low for off road. He has now produced a higher one but I'm getting airbags for the ute instead.

That EMT looks like a better option and I would have probably shelled out the extra $500 if I had known.
  18. Mr Ogmore

Mr Ogmore no u

Oddometer:
    thats very cool, stick that on the audi, head upto kingfisher with the wife and kids and I can duck out for rides - very cool!

Can you try your 990 on it see if its ok in width for the ubolts? humm where did you get 200kg from, according to their site its based off the trailer load limit of the car? My Q7 can tow upto 3200kg
  19. GTinAus

GTinAus nutsplitter

Oddometer:
    The load limit on a tow bar plate, refers to the vertical force downward it is able to take. It is determined by the strength of the towbar, and the mounting points on the car/4WD.

Obviously a vehicle that has a chassis, will have a bigger dowward force allowance, than a vehicle with a monocoque style chassis.

The towing weight, is the weight a vehicle manufacturer says their vehicle can tow, without damaging the car.

Note that the towing weight in the handbook, is not the LEGAL towing weight, which in Australia, is roughly 2/3 the unladen car weight (with overrider brakes).

There is one thing, that should be kept in mind when using one of these devices. One, the further out they are mounted, the bigger the leverage effect, and two, dont forget, if loading it up to near the maximum weight, when you hit a bump, or whoop-e-doo, the inertia mass of the bike being carried can increase significantly, possibly far exceeding the safe working load of your towbar.

A mate of mine has one on a Triton twincab with a canopy, and is more than happy with it, and he carries a KTM 525EXE
  20. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    Haven't noticed any damage to the bike, it must sit just high enough and close to the rear of the ute to avoid being hit by rocks that are flung off the wheels.

If I was to do a long trip on the gravel or offroad I'd remove the wheels from the bike for less wieght on the EMT and better ground clearance.