Got 2009 KLX250S ? Thoughts, impressions, prices ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hungry, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Hungry

Hungry n00b

Oddometer:
    Got the hots for a 2009 KLX250S for commuting and running errands. My commute is inside 5 kliks (no joking). How lucky I am... :wink:

Used to a KLR650, but being vertically challenged I lowered that baby, but I prefered the lighter weight of the KLR250 on some single track. Now I'm hooked on 250 cc and lighter bikes. Too old for all kinds of speed, I'll save the fast travelling for my DH skiis and snowboarding. :evil Forgot to mention that I'm 5'6" with a 29" or so inseam. I loved my wife's earlier XT225, now she rides a VStar 650 Custom, super low leg height. I do road rides with her, but sometimes, my commuting tempts me by taking shortcut gravel roads. Yeeeeha!

Not sure what the re-designed KLX250S 2009 feels or rides like or how tall it is.

Anybody got any impressions or maybe tossed your leg over one at a recent MC show ? :ear

Peace be to journey......

Barney
  2. marcopolo27

marcopolo27 The Tiny Ship was Tossed!

Oddometer:
    I've only had the chance to throw a leg over the 250, no ride.

Since I'm very nearly as vertically challenged as you, you'll interested to know that the seat height is the same as the KLR: 35 inches. However, the bike is quite a bit narrower, and this includes the seat. For me a stiffly-suspended KLR would need lowering, but the extra reach provided by the 250's narrow width was enough. It's also relatively light (under 300 lbs. dry). It certainly won't be a speedy bike, but it does look like lots of fun and should be less of a single-track handful than the big KLR is.

Have a look and let us know what you think!
  3. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Got cash in hand just waiting to pick one up when they come out, problem is no one seems to know when these are coming out!! I guess i just have to wait.

-Former KLR 650 Owner
  4. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a comparison between this and the new Yamaha WR250R yet? Should be interesting to see how the two compare....
  5. rhrose

rhrose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fFom everything I have been able to find out there is no comparison. The WR250R whoops ass in all areas.
  6. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    rhrose - from what I saw (took a seat, but no ride) of the new WR250 - you're right. Thay'd have to refine the living daylights out of the KLX to put it in the same league. Haven't ridden one though. Only time will tell. I'm betting on the WR.
  7. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    Maybe not price the little Yamahammer is $1000 more
  8. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    I'm also interested in the 2009 KLX250S. Light commuting, running errands and some local trailriding would be all that I want the KLX for. It will be the perfect addition to my new garage and to park next to my new KLR650. It even comes in Red.

Soon, I'll be selling an LC8 engine to finance the KLX. :1drink

SamM
  9. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    :scratch
  10. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  11. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I sat on the WR as well, its ok, but to be honest they look and feel like a "chick" bike, just dont feel like i could bomb down a dirt trail on it with the confidence i would have with a klx and the dirt lineage.

I guess its a personal prefrence, but ive never been a big Yammy fan (yes i have owned one).
  12. rhrose

rhrose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I knew that, but I thought we were only talking about build quality and performance, FYI you will need to spend at least $1000 , and a good deal of parts chasing and labor, to get the KLX to somewhere around 21 HP at the rear wheel, and at least $2600 to get it to 27 HP. The WR has been dynoed at 25.4 rear wheel HP in stock form, and by removing the exhaust tip, punching out the restrictor in the exhaust and modifying the air box it dynoed 29.6 HP. Why even bother with the lower tech 10 year (or older )KLX design - - unless one gets his kicks from aggrevation and wrenching.?
    Ever try removing the carb from a KLX?

JMHO of course :D
  13. TomJoad

TomJoad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might have been sitting on the xt250. It is very different than that wr.
  14. Dirtgrain

Dirtgrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I thought it was quite a bit cheaper than that to get the parts to make a KLX engine 331 cc, but your point is still valid.
  15. gas_pig70

gas_pig70 Mmm... mud!

Oddometer:
    I'd have to agree, except that when I sat on a WR250R at the dealer yesterday some "chick" came over and took a seat on a neighboring WR250F. I felt a bit dorky.
  16. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    You could be right :scratch hmmmm