BMW GS's are not that expensive

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tenorjazz, Jan 7, 2009.

1. tenorjazz

tenorjazz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just reading through another thread were a VStrom owner was saying he would get a GS but they are too expensive. I use to say that too until I realized a good used low mileage GS is the same price as a new VStrom, and the quality of craftsmanship and materials on a GS is tons better than a VStrom.

Not saying a VStrom or most other Japanese bikes are not well made, it's just that I'll bet that after 100,000 miles my BMW will be in way better shape than any Japanese bike with that many miles.

I only have 14,000 miles on my 12GS, so it's still practically a virgin, but when I sold my VStrom with 15,000 miles I could already feel it was loosening up.

So if you want a GS, and you can't come up with the bucks for a new one check out an 1100 or 1150, there are some really nice bikes for the same price as a VStrom. In fact, right now, there is a 2001 1150GS with 39000 miles on it on my local Craigslist for only $7000.

If you truely want a GS quit grousing and go out and get one. Winters a really good time to get a deal.
  2. kanhulk13

kanhulk13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. I had always wanted a BMW GS but have been unwilling to pay the 'new' dealer prices, and after a few test rides actually preferred the 1150 to the 1200.

I have an Aprilia Futura but cannot sell it, so decided on 2 bikes, buy the BMW used. I waited for last winter and bought a '99 BMW with only 17,000 km (<11,000 miles) for 7700 Sfr (~7000 US). A new GS1200 costs over 20,000 Sfr over here!

Deals are to be had for those with cash....like the stock market...
  3. konfucius

konfucius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had two v-stroms, 650 and 1000, and the quality has been excellent, nothing ever broke on those, they are simple basic machines and they just run for miles and miles... I think you'll find more threads about failing GSs here than failing vstroms.

Anyway I sold my v-strom now and is waiting for my new R1200GS Adv -08 to arrive :D
  4. Dirtmoover

Dirtmoover Just a big boy

Oddometer:

Hello. ​
    Wooww .... you're a lucky man, what are the cost in Sweden?, here in Denmark it costs from 278.000.- DKK / 394.500.- SEK /
    37,300.- EUR / 50.710.- USD :huh without additional equipment !! .................
  5. Yamaha1

Yamaha1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh dear, DM - that's a shedload of folding stuff!! Better not look at this UK advert, then:-

http://rainbowmotorcycles.com/Usedbikes/page1/page18/page18.html

Mike
  6. Dirtmoover

Dirtmoover Just a big boy

Oddometer:
  7. konfucius

Oddometer:

It is an 2008 leftover, costs SEK 144.900,- as is and 165.000,- equipped as I want it to.
  8. Mojaveboxer

Mojaveboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sat on several dual sports before buying the GS. The thing about the stroms, DL's and other bikes of this caliber is they felt "cheap" to me. My wr 450 felt tighter and beefier than any of these bikes. The GF has a DL for a bit, it was a DOG on power, squirrelly in the dirt and we won't even go over the shocks. Then again this was compared to the WR 450. The GS won over the KTM all on looks. Its a bit more refined but with the right rider, not me of course, and tires this bike can and will go just about anywhere. Guess if I could of tagged my wr in Kalifornistan that would of been the route for me. But, like going two up sometimes and the wr won't support that.
  9. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rubbish. Before the 1100GS (150,000km) I had a '93 VFR750 that was about to tick over 160,000km. It was in just as good condition as the GS. ie. mechanically fine, cosmetically challenged (scratched) :lol3 A GS with engine guards definitely handles a drop a lot better though :wink:

If the last dyno tune is anything to go by the VFR would certainly have done another 160,000km (if my brother in law hadn't crashed it). I'd expect most Jap bikes to do the same, as long as they were maintained. ie. replace consumables at specified intervals, and replace worn out bits as they wear out.
  10. konfucius

Oddometer:
    They might feel cheap and they are cheaper than BMW and KTM, but they never (almost) fail.
  11. Fleg

Fleg Fleg in 2012

Oddometer:
    A 20K motorcycle isn't expensive? Amazing how you can justify that by comparing used vs new.
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Expensive is a relative term, it all depends on how deep your pockets are.
    When I bought my bike, someone at work asked me how much it cost, then he says:"that's more than I paid for my new car" and I thought to myself "that's less than half of what I paid for my car". :dunno
  13. Mr.Efficiency

Mr.Efficiency Adventure Wuss

Oddometer:
    I got a demo bike, and I've done all my farkle work myself. I wanted all mod cons: ASC, ABS, Heated stuff, wire wheels... the works.

Now, I have to admit, my head was spinning when I found out how much it was going to cost but ya know if ya work hard and do all the right things and behave in a reasonable and responsible manner almost all the time... I said what the heck?

Now I don't ever look at bikes and say "I wish I had a this or I wish it was brand new, or I wish I had big honkin lights on the front. Because I got all of it. And really, as long as I keep it for ten years, it will be a bargain.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. If there's one thing I've learned its as long as its not pervasive and you don't go crazy, have that one thing you really love and nevermind the price. Just make sure you eak every nickel of value out in smiles and miles.
  14. wolvertone

wolvertone Save a mile-Kill a metre!

Oddometer:
    I've done just that rationality. Just bought a 1997 R1100GS with 37k for $5200. There's nothing else out there new or used that would get me as much bike, capability or quality.

I first thought I was crazy to spend that much on a 12 year old bike, but I then realized I spent $6k on a 28 year old Harley that was shaking itself to death the day it was built.

Selling the Harley to pay for the GS.

Of course, some people think $2k is a lot to spend on a bike. You have to remember that. It's all relative. I think the comment that "$20k is a lot for a motorcycle" really means there are a lot of motorcycles out there that you can buy new for a lot less. These are at the upper end of the price range. Not that they aren't worth it, but there are a lot of bikes out ther selling brand new for a lot less. Of course, they don't get the same resale value either.

Picking mine up in three days.
  15. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    My Strom failed at 27,000 miles just out of warrarty with all dealer service!!! Strom was never half the bike my GSA is....:norton
  16. Grad

Grad Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Don't say too may bad things about the Strom, that crazy-ass Django Loco guy will come in here and blow another gasket. :lol3
  17. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Many V-Strom owners have stated that low purchase price is number one in their decision to get one.

One has to make a choice. Work hard to buy a more expensive, higher standard of home, car, motorcycle, ect. or work less hard and settle of less.
  18. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both the Suzuki and BMW are good bikes (I own both), but I don't buy the original argument which requires some serious "new math". Apples to apples (new vs. new or used vs. used), the BMW costs about 65% more. That's definitely "more expensive" in my book.

For this, you get a little better fit/finish, typically a better dealer sales experience, a longer warranty, and some more sophisticated features like shaft drive and the telelever as well as better option availability (like ABS, luggage, heated grips, computer, electrically-adj suspensions, etc.). I don't think you get one iota more durability or reliability - in fact, I think it is probably the other way around.

- Mark
  19. Remy

Remy Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure you intended it that way, but that is a very narrow, illogical, and elitist point of view. Things like that are one reason it's almost embarassing to admit to having a BMW.
  20. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    He would never admit to blowing a gasket on his Strom :wink: