Compressed Co2

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NHeat, Sep 21, 2010.

1. NHeat

NHeat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I was making my weekend pilgrimage to the hardware store to fix crap around the house and ran across this.

regulator

http://www.lowes.com/pd_82384-61735-J-6901-101_0__?productId=3113951&Ntt=co2&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dco2

tank

http://www.lowes.com/pd_106221-1592-106221_0__?productId=3117649&Ntt=co2&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dco2

And I ask myself... wouldn't that be a better option than a mini-pump? you could plug/install a new tire on the road and inflate it! OR hey thats a hell of a lot easier than blowing up the thermarest!!

No killing batteries on the bike, ultra portable and FAST!!!

Yeah its a little pricey for the unit but theres an airsoft shop up the road and charges cylinders for a few bucks. Plus a portable trim nailer for around the house would be great.

SO...

Anybody used this setup to fix a tire or inflate a sleeping pad? Thoughts or opinions on both bike use or for portable air tools.

Thanks
    Neal
  2. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's up to you if you want to call a 20oz tank "ultra portable"...and safe to carry on a bouncing and heating dual bike.

Personally? I'd not.
  3. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Does your bike not have an alternator?

The reason that thing is so expensive is because it is a regulator and intended for activities that need a constant gas pressure. Kind of overkill for filling tires. One thing to be aware of is that CO2 is a small molecule that tends to leak out of things. Wouldn't be surprised if you filled your thermarest and ended up lying on the ground by morning.

Much better options (IMO)

Smaller, lighter, cheaper, no paying for refills.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/slime_pump.htm

or even smaller, lighter and cheaper than that

http://tinyurl.com/25utc79
  4. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    CO2 does not leak out because it's smaller! CO2 is very sensitive to temperature. Blow up your mattress by mouth(CO2) or use a CO2 bottle and you will see a significant change in pressure in a solid container or a dramatic change in volume and pressure in something like an air mattress{Temperature goes down~pressure goes down and vice versa}. In tires, temperatures vary greatly therefore CO2 is not a preferred gas. CO2 also carries a lot of moisture, pneumatic tools powered by CO2 do not last very long. 4x4 guys that use CO2 for inflating there tires after off road fun have found several oz of water in there tires at times.

However for portability it may be desired compared to carrying around a compressor. CO2 is considerably more safe than carrying a cylinder of air or other compressed gas. CO2 is dissolved into water at 60ish psi and up to normally 1800psi but because it is dissolved into the liquid it does not have the explosive effect of a compressed gas cylinder at say 1000 - 3000 psi.

As for the safety of carrying it on a motorcycle; this is not an issue. The gasoline and extremely hot exhaust header would be much more concerning.

That and my right wrist.

For a quick fix roadside and for setting a bead on the rim CO2 is definitely an option.
  5. cagiva549

cagiva549 Gone timer

Oddometer:
    Nitrogen would work a lot better and that is a fine looking piece of plastic to be carrying around on an adventure bike . SEYA
  6. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    CO2 does leak out.

I use C02 for trail inflation on mountainbikes. I carry them for dirtbikes too but have never needed them. You will have a flat tyre after a week as the CO2 passes through the rubber, but unless you're away from an airline for several days at a time it's not any issue.