New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    +1 on the TKC 80s. Had around 10k kms on a set before putting on the Heidenaus. Did fine on the slippery clay roads in the jungle, wet asphalt, sand and hard pack. Wore another set at around 6k km in hot tropical temperatures.
  2. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm running a Scorpion PRO on the front and like it a lot
    [​IMG]
  3. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
  4. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    Agreed - - and it's a DOT tire.

Side knobs chunk pretty bad if you get in the rocks though.
  5. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    If you do not run DOT you will die. Every DOT tire has had a fee paid to the governement so that it can have the DOT letters stamped into the side of the tire. Non DOT tires will explode the instant they touch concrete or pavement and you and everyone in your family will instantly die. Forward this message to 50 of your friends or YOU WILL DIE :rofl <-- this means its a joke. Because this is a forum I can write any horrible message and as long as I cap it with a :D I am ok.
  6. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Well maybe yes ...

I tried Michelin M12 and S12 on the 690 and after 500 km, 30% of the knobs on the rear wheel were gone. Reported missing on duty. Needless to say the bike's behavior was similar to some compacting equipments.

Paul Jr
  7. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    Hi Seth,

In the EU running dot or not is more of an insurance issue: if you run tyres that are not road approved and get in to an accident your not insured, even if it's no your mistake.

Wont the US insurances bother you in the same way?
  8. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    In MI, if the LEO is on his period, he can have your shit impounded - and some in our group have been checked.

Since the Scorpion pro is pretty much an S12 with a DOT stamp, i'd rather not give them the open invitation to nail me.
  9. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Prove it please:deal
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    That has nothing to do with them not having a DOT rating as it is they are MX tires made for well groomed MX tracks.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    As if I needed even another reason to avoid MI. :rofl
  12. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    i never said rear use for the m 12
    i have found the front to last longer on my 690 than it does on my husaberg and it weighs at least 50 lbs less than the 690
  13. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bob,
    You have to let the front tire touch the ground every once and a while :D

The other day a rider suggested a TKC 80 for an intermediate front tire....today a friend whose 690 was stolen from his driveway last summer gave me a TKC front tire when I was buying a rear brake rotor from him (new for $70 :evil)....

Now....just to find a ride to scrub it off :ear
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  14. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if there's a downloadable PDF file out there for the 2009 Enduro? I want to put it on my phone for my upcoming trip.
  15. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  16. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    This looks like it. It's from a 2004 KTM spare part connector catalog that someone shared here. PM me if you want a PDF copy. It's the only place I've found part numbers for common connectors. (It's not to scale as far as length goes, to add to the confusion; and yes, I see the joke that will follow.)

[​IMG]
  17. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:

I'm surprised there's not some obscure boiler plate language in the policy that provides a loop hole for the insurance carrier in the event some component of the insured vehicle is not DOT approved. They're all about not paying out under some bs clause.

All i could see is a blanket tire exclusion, under collision coverage.

[​IMG]

Like Aaron said, are you stating fact, or just an assumption on your part ?
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    It's not quite like that even in the EU, but if your bike has certain non-approved changes - that get discovered when you are in an accident - then it is likely that the burden of proof will be upon you to show that there was no causality. And rightfully so, IMO.

For example if you are running sticky racing tires then it won't be hard to prove that your stopping distance was not negatively affected, but the same can't be said for pure offroad racing knobbies if you run them on the street.

This is why in a few countries in the EU (for example Germany) the vehicle manufacturer together with the government has to establish a list of tested and approved tires, specified down to the exact manufacturer, model, load rating, and speed index.

Nanny state for sure, but it has both advantages and disadvantages. Of course this applies only if you are running on public roads, where the choices you make are possibly directly affecting others.
  19. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    ...and somewhere KTM has a PDF (here) with the approved tyres. The TKC's are M+S rated, so you are also covered in winter in Germany, where it is a requirement in the winter months. They also have non brand specific tyre size for the 690 listed
  20. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran the Michelin Desert Racing tires in Baja. They were very durable but the front was very skittish on sand covered hard pack. I was running about 20psi which was probably high but I did not want any pinch flats either. Normally I run TKC-80s and have been happy enough with them for a highway/trail tire although wear rate is pretty high.