Loctite

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lightsorce, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lightsorce

lightsorce Inner Banks Swamp Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm running low on blue Loctite again and I was wondering if any of you guys have tried the "stick" type that I've seen on the shelf. I have always used the liquid but I also have a lot of blue spots on my bike sheds cement floor too.
    If the stick works as well, I could avoid the spills. Either way, 'when you ride a bike you have got to LOCTITE'.
    :freaky
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    I've used both the stick, and a tube of sort of gel. Both seem to work just as well as the liquid and are easy to deal with .

Dav
    Emmett likes this.
  3. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the stick

Get 2 - 1 red for stuff you never want to come apart & 1 blue for what will eventually have to come apart

So easy to use:clap
  4. 4SEVEN3

4SEVEN3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stick stuff rocks, and its less messy.

Worth the $ IMO.:thumb
  5. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    This thread reminds me I need to pick some up for my KLR:devildog
  6. KLboxeR

KLboxeR Yeah, I ride a Harley. So what?

Oddometer:
    fixed
  7. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :dunno
  8. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    I have easy access to the traditional liquids and the Quickstix and still use both of them.

You can't use the Quickstix in blind holes since the application technique is different. So you dribble the liquid in the female hole.

When working on bikes or just about anything else, I use the Quickstix now.

I like them because they don't drip, less mess, you can apply the material to all of your bolts at once assembly line style before you use them, the material doesn't drip off, and they fit easy in my toolroll.

Anaerobic materials like threadlockers will stress crack certain types of harder plastic faster than you can spit if drops of product get on plastic surfaces. Anaerobic materials can also remove the shine from certain types of harder plastics when drops get on a surface.

Peace love and glue,

Dirty
    just jeff likes this.
  9. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The gel stuff seems to work okay in some applications. I don't see anything on it though, that says what version of Loctite it is, so it may not work for all applications. Say you need 243 for the oil resistance for example. I mean, I'd use the gel on handguard bolts, but wouldn't trust say, the bolts holding my clutch together.
  10. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Seems like the loctite 243 is the weapon of choice for most of applications here. When my bottle runs out I'll have to try out the stick. 2HE
  11. ylexot

ylexot Super Genius

Oddometer:
    Looks like the stick is equivalent to 242:
    http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-loc37643.html
  12. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    The gel isn't Loctite. It's another brand and I haven't used it.

243 is an oil tolerant blue medium strength threadlocker which doesn't require you to shake it up like the older technology 242 blue threadlocker.

Oil tolerant only refers to the materials ability to work well on as-received lightly oiled threaded fasteners. This product would also work well on fasteners you use that might be oily and you don't feel like cleaning and degreasing the threads before reusing them (which you shouldn't do anyway but we all do)

I like the 248 Sticks better for some applications but the liquids are useful in other applications. Just think of these products as different tool.

If the product is blue, it'll behave just like 242 blue threadlocker-very similar breakloose and prevailing loosening torques.

I'm ADVriders very own unofficial official Loctite factory rep. part-time Lobotomist and seeker of truth and I approved this message.

Dirty
  13. porterdog

porterdog untitled

Oddometer:
    After wasting ~57.2% of my last bottle I'm a stick convert.
    yamalama likes this.
  14. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    I'm 75% pleased by your conversion.

Studies have shown that one 20gm stick goes as far as one 50ml bottle of liquid.

You sir are a very smart person.

Dirty
    doc moses likes this.
  15. Prodigium

Prodigium Ad Astra

Oddometer:
    Portland OR during school year. SW MI in summer
    I've used lots of loctite, lock nuts, double nuts and nylocks. I spend lots of time reading techy stuff, especially marine stuff (No surprise, retired Navy I am). I found a new kind of lock washer from a Swedish company named NordLock.
    Go to Nord-lock.com, click news & media and watch the video. Convinced me to use them.
    :norton
    daslipper likes this.
  16. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Neat gizmo those Nord-lock's are.

Three very important things they convieniently fail to mention to the uneducated consumer:

The Nord-Lock does not prevent fasteners from rusting together.
    Once the break loose torque has been surpassed, prevailing torque is zero.
    Different Nord-Lock washers are required for different sized threaded fasteners. These things are expensive.

I've asked several Nord-Lock factory guys all of these questions at different industry events over the years and I always get the deer in the headlights look from them when their product is challenged.

Dirty
  17. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    Hi. I've wondered about this. Why do they not just junk the 242 and only make 243? Seems the commercial product (Permatex) is often 242, but why, when 243 is easier to use because it is more tolerant of oily parts? Last question :-) Is 243 simply a newer, all-around better product than 242?
  18. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Not at all one product isn't better than the other. t depends what sort of tool you need to use.

To answer your qustion with a question, try this on....Is a sledge hammer better than a tack hammer? It is if you are trying to drive railroad spiles, but it isn't if you're trying to hang pictures.

Get it?

Dirty
  19. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I goofed once and used red on a Harley axle nut. Only thing on that old shovel that did not shake loose. A 4 foot 3/4" pipe makes a great breaker bar.:stoned
  20. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Does Loctite?

this isn't a loaded question, i'm just not a big loctite user and would be interested to know. Usually, I use anti-sieze.