The dark side - STROKER style

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by yellow, Dec 26, 2008.

1. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    I got about 20,000K on this wheel and only good things to say about it... Don't expect the snow and mud to last too long though. Regular tires last about 7K+/-. But look at the price and the ease to change it! As David says... two butter knives...
    There is an intersting fact however, on dirt now.
    I thought that the M&S tire would grip better... it does NOT! I love to slide in the curves and it does much more than a non M&S. The M&S is only good for... M&S!!! In even deep sand conditions the regular radial got me out better than the M&S. I will be trashing the knobbies off very quickly... they are already missing much pieces of rubber... Will take a photo or two when I came back from Potash/Shaeffer/Long Canyon here in Moab, Utah. I am going to try a more expensive tire next... maybe I can get 10K out if it?
    Great job David... Life saver!!!
    Be well... Ara & Spirit

[​IMG]
  2. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ara, I assume that you are saying that the Nankang tire that you had on your wheel when you first got it, has worked out the best as far as traction and ride quality. I haven't tried out one of those "new old stock" tires yet, but I reckon they don't have as much "flotation" properties as the stiffer tires. I,m still running a Nankang on my rig and really like it. PLENTY of traction and quiet running on pavement. Good service to all you "Advantage Wheel" guys, and thanks for the input. Yours in sport, and best regards, Stroker:wink:
  3. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Yes, that was the best one. Lasted about 7K, amzingly got me out of some tight spot never quite understanding why?!!!
    I will let you know how long this M&S lasts... You see, it's surface to the ground because of the knobbies is only 50% of the previous tires and on the hack it is not really a good thing! Will see how it handles this steep trail we are doing I think tomorrow...
    Thanks David...
  4. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Poulsbo, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    I have a soft spot in my heart for the Ural Gear-Ups - I've owned and driven three different model years, and have two more (that's a total of five if anyone is keeping track) on consignment at a dealer in OR. The 2WD and reverse are way cool for a hack, but they're simply underpowered for long haul travel. And, thought their reliability has greatly imrpoved over the years, they've a long, hard, climb to make before they're at BMW's level of robustness and reliability.

A good friend of mine who has a fishing lodge at Deshka Landing up in Alaska (near Palmer) just took delivery of her R1150GS/Ural rig from Dauntless, and of course, I have two of these rigs now. I think the mating of a German-built tug and Russian Iron tub is as good as it gets, and as you've noted, putting Stroker's wheels on the combo takes care of the only fault, short tire life.

Best,
  5. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    I know a few have bragging rights about the Ural... there is no wrong as there is no right... The bragging rights remain on the fact that it is two wheel drive and David's wheel has solved that "affair" I would say by 90%?... seriously. Having to ride behind a semi to keep up with the speeds as I read in an Ural ride report is not my cup of tea... Suddenly worrying that I will not see a Ural dealer within 1500 miles is also not the way to travel... With 210,000 miles on Old Faithful, new clutch just a month ago and u Joint at 150K... how can I complain... Ah! the darn rubber o Ring at the oil filler is going out every 100K... can't stand it!!!
    Marketing and only heavy promotion by certain individuals, some more into heavy, meaning strong commercial marketing for themselves... have made the Ural what it is today... it is a cool toy... and that is about it.

Be well... Ara & Spirit
  6. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider Too slow to get out of my own way...

Oddometer:
    Two questions, if I may...

What is the size spec on that tire? 145/80-15 or ???

And what does Stroker get for a full conversion with wheel/tire/adapter these days?
    Is there a menu of prices depending on options?

Thanks for the great photos!
  7. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Hi BMWzenrider -

The tire is a 165 SR 15 M&S rated tubeless Semperit. 2-ply sidewall, 6=ply tread, with a max load rating of 1,200 lbs. I *think* this tire is no longer in production.

It's my understanding that a 165R15 tire is not all that common, but I have been able to find a number of sources, and there is a belief that the introduction of the Mercedes/Swatch Smart for 2 car (which use 15" tires in this range) into the North American market may improve availability.

As for pricing, yes, there are some options, and it would be best to PM Stroker directly.

Best,
  8. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    I had a nice surprise yesterday while riding Potash/Shaffer (Moab~Utah) trail uphill. And easy road and yet at time challenging. (have not gone through the photos yet). For a change I dropped all tires to 28 (when hot) and the M&S to 25. Totally different tire suddenly (of course you are going to say!!!) and now better than the regular VW original tire... The M&S is a stiff tire and actually did not even inflate it for the black top miles I had left to ride to get back to camp. It really changes my opinion on this tire... Pretty steep uphil, loose ground and not a single time did it spin... Of course... you have to LOVE the tall first gear od the GS 1100R!!! Still the best GS ever made... (yes! I am prejudiced on that one!!!).
    Anyhow... Going to ride it again late at night, full moon,better lighting...
    Be well... Ara & Spirit
  9. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    No, it doesn't.

Stock steel rim for MCC Smart: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    3 1/2J x 15" rim, for tire size 135/70R15 <o:p></o:p>
    4 J x 15" rim for tire size 145/65R15 <o:p></o:p>
    5 1/2 x 15" rim for tire size 175/55 R15 <o:p></o:p>
    the rim only weighs <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:metricconverter ProductID="6 kg">6 kg</st1:metricconverter> and rim and tire together <st1:metricconverter ProductID="15 kg">15 kg</st1:metricconverter>. (Hardly any differences in weight in the different sizes) <o:p></o:p>

Richard-NL :bmwrider
  10. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Would this be the wrong thread to address the "shock" issue?
    TwiTwin, David and I have gone around and around with this, we did find the formula... It amazed me while at a Hack Rally that even the old timers only responded with dropped jaws when asked the question about suspension..
    I have changed my Ohlin springs to a 500lb rider, and this has made a world of difference...
    If there is a thread for that discussion let me know. I am sure TwinTwin will be happy to divuldge the formula for perfect handling!
    Be well... Ara & Spirit
  11. halflive

halflive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i think mikepa is right in the statement that availability for sidecar tires is improved in the states.
    i've driven a 2cv michelin tire on the rear of my my Triumph in the past, the original with 2 ply sidewalls. it was horrible, it floated all around the corners. nowdays i'm using the low Smart front tires, they're great, solid cornering. i don't want to use anything else than the 135/65/15 continentals. to my knowledge the only alternative for the old high 2cv tires is the current Mabor brand.
  12. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    As constructed by LeighSA, about 3 years ago. Biggest drama in Oz is getting the appropriate tyres (hey spellchecker, that is tyres, not tires:deal)

Made a mistake with the current one, it's just a passenger car tyre so I don't expect the mileage. But everything else said earlier in the thread holds true. I was quite surprised that the rolling radius is so similar to the standard 17" rear and the 15" tyre doesn't actually change as much during wear due to less tread depth.
    I recall wearing out one bike tyre in 1200km. Far too expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Get Back

Get Back Molesworth 2

Oddometer:
  14. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
  15. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    You missed the point. Explanation: A 165/80-15 tire (or 165-15 as you please) will not be more available, because of the introduction of the MCC Smart, since this size is not a stock size. It will still be difficult to get. (it’s an old Beetle size) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Closest size in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:metricconverter ProductID="15 inch">15 inch</st1:metricconverter> would be the 175/55-<st1:metricconverter ProductID="15 in">15 in</st1:metricconverter> the brand and type you ride, which is really low-profile. <o:p></o:p>
    Please walk to your outfit and read the tire size. If it actually says what you’re saying, (135/65-15) I’ll bring you a case of beer in your favorite brand. (Typing error?) :deal

<o:p>http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9740320&postcount=7</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
    Richard-NL :bmwrider <o:p></o:p>
  16. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    These tires, be they 135, 145, 155, or 165r15 are really not that hard to find. The Nexen, Kumo, and Nankangs are being cranked out in the Orient. B.F. Goodrich and others are supplying 165r15's for the street rod market. Vredenstien, Michelin are still making them for old VW's and Saab's. Once you find a vendor/tire style you can live with buy 3 for the price of 1 motorcycle tire and you'll be all set for quite a while. Ara makes a good point about suspension upgrades. Shocks make a HUGE difference. I wouldn't ride a rig with stock shocks. And a swaybar! The way my rig is set up I can slide it around on pavement like one of those hi-performance rigs, and with almost a foot of ground clearance.The car tires are a big improvement but without proper shocks and a swaybar I doubt that my rig would handle the way it does. Stroker:wink:
  17. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    It IS good idea if you are purchasing the 165 tires to bUY two of them. They are usually easily found at any tire dealer who is willing to order them in....but... I think the factories only do a run on them ever so often. We have been using them for a little over 5 years and in that time have seen one temporary shortage of them which was practically nationwide. So, buy two and cut out the worry.
    The 155 tires can be had also but are usually more expensive. The 135 tires are quite small in diameter and are avaiLable at Coker Tire and other outlets. Out of all of these the 165 is the last expensive and the most commonly avaiable size.
    Oh, you can also try ordering tIres through wal mart . They will ship them to your nearest store. Not a bad deal in some cases.
  18. Get Back

Get Back Molesworth 2

Oddometer:
    ...once again: humble apologies for jacking.

19. halflive

halflive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done: 145/65R15 near enough? half case of beer? Leffe please:yum
    I don't think i missed the point, the grown availability of proper sidecar tires. i don't think mikepa especialy mentioned the availability of 165/80-15 would improve.
    i would't search for old beetle or 2cv tires. there are several sizes of smart tires available: standard 135/70R15, 145/65R15, 175/??R15 and several special sizes for Brabus rims. These will give you a much better ride than these high flexibel tires.
    if you realy want high, wide tires: look at VW transporter sizes.

EGT is in the planning for this year, we'll shake hands and drink a beer together:freaky
  20. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    For those with "Stoker" wheels, I did a quick search and found these M+S rated BF Goodrich 155/80R-15 Radial T/A's on the Summit Racing website. They're "S" rated (112MPH), have a load rating of 1.069 lbs, 24.7" diameter, and 6.10" section or shoulder width, and "A" traction rating. They come with a 6-year warranty against materials and workmanship defects (no road hazard). Unfortunately, they come with RWL (Raised White Lettering), but I now know about black-out paint :lol3.

Best of all, they're only $69.95 (as of 11 May 09) and are in stock. I'm going to order one and see how it fits/works. Actually, given Claude's sage advice, I guess I should order two!

Here's the URL:

BFGoodrich 155/80R-15 from Summit

EDIT/UPDATE: So, I did listen to Claude, and ordered two tires. Summit did have them in stock. Shipping and handling was only $27.00 additional, not bad these days. I'm liking this! I just finished a ride from Seattle to SanFran. Though I left with new rubber (Tourances), after doing 299, 3, and 36 on the way down, my tire was toast. Marin BMW was good enough to get me in for a tire change on short notice, which was good, but the charge for a new Tourance and installation was a whopping $326.00 thank you very much!

Best,