new first gear carbon gloves. How warm should they be?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by davidji, Dec 6, 2011.

1. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Got a new pair of 1st gear carbon gloves. Not very warm. I'd suspect they're defective, but they're both the same, and both have the same electrical resistance--so it isn't as if a heating wire broke.

It was around freezing when I started riding today, and I needed to turn on my heated grips (with the gloves) to keep my hands from getting cold.

I had them plugged directly into the bike today to rule out the possibility of it being the controller. When I've used the controller it's always on all the way.

The reviews I've read make them sound much warmer. But maybe that's on bikes with wind protection for the hands? The only time my hands have felt warm in them was stopped or riding slowly--even when it wasn't as cold as this morning.

Firstgear is eager to take them back and check them. But if this is normal I'd just as soon keep 'em. They may not be warm enough, but they're still better then my next alternative. And it's gonna be cold tomorrow too.

They're the best heated gloves I've tried as far as protection and flexibility. And they fit well. If warmer, they'd be just about perfect...
  2. Cambion

Cambion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Carbon gloves that I purchased last year. Mine get very warm but it does take a couple minutes for them to reach their highest temperature (it seems like they heated up faster last year but that's probably just my imagination). If I use them in temps in the 40s I have to turn them down or they get too hot.