? how to open the gas tank from a R80RT ?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Juanjo_NY, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    hi,

sorry that this may be a silly question, but just got an 86 BMW R80RT and can't figure it out how to open the gas tank..

Key works and it turn, and the cap can do 360's either way, but can't get it out..

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

on the side note, this bike last run in 2003, and w/o doing anything with old gas, old oil, ect. I jump started with my truck and started right up.. :eek1
    promising.. if I can open the damn gas tank..:D

Attached Files:

2. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    The gas cap is locked. You need to put the key in, turn it to the left, then the inside teeth should grab and let you remove it.

EDIT: It seems the lock is already unlocked, you'll need to bulldog it out. Put a towel thru the gas cap handle and pull up HARD while turning the cap to the left.
  3. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the "bulldog" method works. And NEVER lock the damn thing again.

I can never figure out why someone would go to the trouble of locking the gas cap to stop someone from siphoning. You can just pull the fuel lines off and drain it a whole lot easier.
  4. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    THANKS A LOT!!

got it open.. but no wonder it didn't want to open!!
    [​IMG]

lot better now.. it open and close smooth!!!!
    [​IMG]
  5. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I know this issue.

What ended up working for me on that bike after trying everything was to put a small screw into the bottom part, under the bail/handle deal of the gas cap. It didn't have to be very long just enough to catch and hold the top and bottom parts together.

But I'm still having some rust issues and I have to clean the threads about every 3 months or so.

Also cutting out the filler flap made the tank much nicer to fill at the gas station.
  6. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I believe the cap breathes through the four small holes in the bottom. Probably a good idea to clean the thing out. And the tank probably isn't in much better shape.

Soak the cap in a container of Vinegar for a day or two, and fill the tank with vinegar as well to clean out the rust that's undoubtedly in there.