DRZ 400 vs 450 EXC in reliability

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MihaiVeniamin, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Jaggerdss

Jaggerdss n00b

Oddometer:
    I read these theads about the drz vs ktm and its always the same thing. What it comes down to is the ktm is the rich kid on the block that everyone is jealous of until he is their friend. I own a 06 drz400s and i love it. But when i get the dough im getting the ktm. My nephew races ktm 450's (supercross). They are durable and maintenance intervals are manufacturer suggested (key word) . They also assume you are like my nephew, in your 20's and running supsrcross. Well im not and ill bet most of the rest of us on this forum are not either so the whole maintenance thing just throw out the window. Btw, i bought my drz with 1100 miles ob it from a guy that could not start it with the e-start. He could only push start it. The valves were too tight and needed adjustment.
    If you have the money buy the ktm. If not buy the drz and ride until you can afford the ktm.
    And one last thing. Go 143 ( shameless plug):D

Also. Newer Husabergs are supposed to be just as reliable as the KTM's as they essentially are KTM's.They are supposed to handle a little smoother though (for us old dudes) Husquavarna's I do not like due to I personally know a WORCS racer that lost several races due to his Husky blowing up while he was leading the race. Not just one or two races either. In fact he got so pissed off that even though sponsored and his bikes were free he bought his own CRF450 to compete.. Also I know several others with problems with them.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  2. zokalr13

zokalr13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive owned both an 09 450 exc and now a 03 drz400e- yes- the ktm is superior in all categories to the drz mostly but right now,I need a cheap,reliable daily driver/off roader that is reliable, has huge aftermarket and I like the fact that I can go longer on maintenance than more racier bikes that ive had for example like my last bike [yz426] I also got a street bike [kz1000]that I use for hwy use and I use the drz for around town and commuting to work and off road duty..its a gas to ride the E around and I just came back from trying out a 44 tooth sprocket which I like way better than the 47...now to figure out if I should go with a 15 tooth or 16 tooth front sprocket [​IMG]
    CoatsEast likes this.
  3. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    The KTM and DRZ are similar in reliability but the KTM BLOWS the DRZ away in every conceivable category....power, suspension, brakes, parts, weight, gearbox, etc etc etc.

How is this even a question?

People buy DRZs because they don't know enough about KTMs or are scared because they listen to people that don't know what they are talking about.

A 04-07 KTM EXC will be similar in price as well.
  4. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I really hope the OP has made a decision...

Considering this thread has been dormant for over 4 years and all.

If he can't make up his mind in 4 years it is never going to happen.:lol3
  5. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a drz s and as a dual sport it was great in many ways. But it screamed for a 6th gear and a better ratio to ride on an off road at the same time. Flip side is you dont have to worry about finiky servicing.I did get a 450 rfs exc and it eclipsed the drz but it was no dual sporter after 500 miles the engine oil needed changing as the gears went tight and it needed lots more lookin after air filter valves all need regular checkin. There is a price for higher spec

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  6. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a DRZ400E, street legal , Im the 3rd inmate to own it, bought with low miles and 3K of add ons by original owner, stock except for jetting ( by Burned) 38.7 RW HP via dyno ( what ive read 300 & 350exc puts out about the same, rear wheel no one calls those dogs) suspension has been modded, rez man seat, guards galore, Alum sub frame but with dirtbagz, packs enough gear for RTW, suspension takes major G out fine, tracks straight at speed through rough. dead nuts reliable set up.

for me its near perfect dually mount. I bought it for remote distance fire roading, rough two track is my fav, occasional fast single track. to get to the good stuff, its 1 to 2 hours of 50 mph back roads, I run a 44 tooth rear, spot on for above riding. its a good balance of power, hp/tourque/ and how it delivers it.

most all ktm's are better at single track, hell an xr400 is better ( i have two of those) , in the latter case its due to geometry, guess what, the more relaxed DRZ's geo' mean its mo' betta on open road, FS roads etc. this will do single track not as good as either of the two mentioned but its not bad, and thats not my intended purpose. only very few instances will more power be used, I've had XR650R, KTM's, granted in some cases more power is a hell of a lot of fun but a lot of times its burned up in wheel spin, of course that in itself is a gas.... + more power in shit conditions not an improvement. just how often do you really hold that throttle wide fuckin open? It was a kick on my 650R in oregon dez but it wasnt that often, for my use, DRZ is perfect. sure I'd like a OD 6th but its not a deal killer w/ 44 rear.

I'm not anti ktm, Ive owned em, and spent a day on a 2010 250exc, great bike for that ride, better then my DRZ would of been as it was some nasty stuff. for my purpose that I bought the drz for , its a keeper. I'll probably own a KTM or Husky, Beta at some point though I am thinning the herd, ( down to 10 bikes now)

Ive rode for 44 yrs, used to be you might rib a guy for his ride all in fun, ( "maico-breako" etc) but man, the slamming that goes on because someone rides a particular bike, I just dont get ( maybe they need to get laid :1drink or covering for some other short comings...:evil ) I can afford any bike I want, I picked the DRZ as it fits my needs spot on. some on this site seem to think I should be living under a bridge because of my choice in bikes.

as another saying goes, Its not what you ride, Its that you ride.
  7. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    So...a KTM RFS is a better dirt bike AND a better road bike than a DRZ...and can be had used for the same amount of money.

Why do people keep insisting DRZ's are a better choice? For ANYTHING?
  8. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    I spelled it out for you in the above post. :norton
    and same $? not for me but spend as you please
  9. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    The DRZ is only better as a daily rider, as it does have longer maintenance intervals.
    It also will hold more luggage.
  10. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    And also this thread was started 4 years ago. KTMs were a bit more expensive, less tested, more mysterious, exotic.

Riders now know the scoop.
  11. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    I know...I ride Euro:deal

I know how old the thread is...someone chimed/bumped it before me, and I gave a sarcastic rebuttal:D

The only pro a DRZ has over an RFS is listed oil change intervals. Period. Reliability is the same...unless used in the dirt, where the KTM will likely prove to be more reliable.
  12. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    Ive rode em both, I stand by my opinion,( read it before you post ) which is correct. :rofl
    A modded E as I described is a total diff' bike then a stock S, but hey you dont want to hear that either
  13. Shooter1

Shooter1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned two DRZ "S" models, (modified) and three EXC450's all tagged and still have the '07. I've found them all to be comperable in reliability. The EXC is quite a bit better on single track simply because it quite a bit lighter. I kept going back the the KTM since I have good local dealer support, and I have a couple off road riding areas close that I can easliy ride the bike to, ride, and then ride home. Both the "S's" I had were good bikes. If I could only own one bike and wanted it to be a 400/450cc class dual sport, and I intended to ride it alot on the street, I may have stuck with the DRZ. I never found the EXC's to be more maintenance, but, I'm not putting big street miles on mine either. If Suzuki could take 15 to 20# off the DRZ, and add a 6th gear, -OR- just space out 4th and 5th gear a bit, that would help a bunch. Both are very good bikes for their intended market.
  14. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    I didn't see where you stated anything. The RFS is better in the woods, as you stated...and the RFS has a better gear spread and more power, with plenty of baggage options for a small dual sport being used as a local commuter, making it better on the street...and they're the same money and reliability...what exactly is your point?

If you just come out and say "I just like DRZ's better, and don't really have a good reason for it", I could at least respect that...but it has no merit as an opinion in this thread:deal
    See above:deal
  15. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    bob I see why you have your online name, you've earned it.

my post describing differences may just be too many words for you to comprehend, like the part "the more relaxed DRZ's geo' mean its mo' betta on open road, FS roads etc." I've spent considerable time on both, have you ridden a modded E ?
    did u read where I say the ktm's are better? that the DRZ modded E is the shit for what I do with it?
    on second thought, never mind, doesnt matter what I write, you have to be right, have the last word, huh?
    I'm done, fire away. you are wasting my time.
  16. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    That said it all. For the $$$ u spend u get more out of DRZ-e. Ktm are more dirt oriented where DRZ ( E version) are more like the Transformers

[​IMG]
  17. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    a shiny child's toy? :eek1
  18. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    Ahh...the classic name calling and whining of someone who can't come up with a valid and well spoken rebuttal. Well done. :nah

"Relaxed ergos"? Really? Because none of that shit is adjustable?
    Another blanket opinion based statement with no basis in facts, or proof to back it up...from where I'm sitting, the KTM is way more versatile than the DRZ. But that's not the point of this thread...the thread is about reliability between the 2.
  19. dirtonly

dirtonly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not true. I own a DRZ400E and a KTM 640 Adv. It is frustrating as hell trying to get parts for the KTM. It is very nerve racking wondering if it will be fixable on the road and being able to get parts. Would I own another KTM? Not quite yet. Maybe one but never two at the same time without a Suzuki or a Honda as a back up.
  20. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    It must suck to live where you are then.

I have never had a problem getting any parts for any of my KTMs, yet the Jap bikes I have to wait weeks for.

There a lot of interchangeable parts in the different KTMs, but the Jap bikes have bugger all interchangeable parts and a lot of model specific parts.

Not that it matters considering my KTMs have needed much fewer parts than any other bikes I have owned.:deal

But as I said before, it is a moot point because this thread is redundant...:lol3