Leatt 5.5 Pro HD

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 2Stamp, Jan 17, 2014.

1. gfazz

gfazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got the Leatt 5.5 HD

Will let you know how I find it.. as mentioned in the thread love the rib protection! but the shoulder straps... what a joke!
  2. mcrider18

mcrider18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have nothing to do with Leatt but I think their rep, Troy, has a lot of room for improvement regarding phrasing anything close to a technical explanation. I agree that his statement doesn't make a lot of sense as strictly worded.

Now what I expect he was trying to convey was that the new design does a better job at distributing/disbursing the force of the initial impact and maybe the protection can shift, whereas if the old design would receive the same impact it could/would be ripped off.

I'm certainly not trying to cover for Troy or put words in his mouth, but I don't believe Leatt makes junk. I only have one of their products, a Leatt STX Road Neck Brace, that I wear as ATGATT for street, adventure, dual-sport, and even enduro rides (I'm a beginner at enduro). I've had it for about 3 or 4 years. It's held up extremely well, and its design and build are great.

I'm strongly considering the Leatt 5.5 Body Protector, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-55-body-protector, due to the rib protection that it provides versus the Icon Stryker Rig, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-stryker-rig, which I currently wear for adventure, dual-sport, and enduro rides. The Icon has worked well, but I think the Leatt product offers better protection.

YMMV

3. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well on the 5.5 Pro HD, I do feel pressure where the front hits my collar bones. So where that cutout is for the neck brace, is killing me when wearing a backpack under load.

I gotta wear a backpack on rides due to water needs, tools, etc. We'll see how this works out long term.
  4. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    I had to lower the cross strap on my backpack to hit/ride/rest mid-chest on the Leatt to get a fit that didn't choke me...
  5. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    Any more input on the chest protector ?

I am considering it to wear under a jacket -with armor removed- for moderate temp days, over a full heated liner, (under the jacket) on cold days, and sans jacket on super hot days.
    This would be for street and for dual sport riding.

Am also considering the A* A8.

Likely going with the Leatt 3df elbow guards. Already have the Dual Axis Knee guards on the way.
  6. snare

Oddometer:
    Ordered the Fly Racing branded version of the 5.5 Pro HD. I will report back with my observations from my type of use.
  7. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I just got mine in XL, black only available. Although I wanted white.
    Fits well, need to go for a ride and see how I actually feel.
    Also got the 3DF elbow and knee armor.
  8. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am pretty happy with my 5.5 HD. It is pretty easy to put on and take off, I think it has slightly better airflow than my old Fox Titan armor, and it provides pretty good protection. I also use the Leatt 3DF elbow guards. I pull them up over the chest protector upper arm guards to keep them from sliding down. I also use the Dual Axis Knee guards. Sometimes the knee guards rub and irritate my knee. I have found that knee socks solve that problem. On less technical rides I leave the Dual Axis at home and use the Leatt 3DF knee guards. They don't offer the same level of protection, but they are more comfortable for long rides. And I just added a Leatt 5.5 neck brace to the collection. The brace is a little harder to put on and take off than my old neck roll, but I feel it offers much better protection and it doesn't bother me while riding.
  9. snare

Oddometer:
    Thanks FamilyRider

I have the Leatt Dual Axis knees guards arriving today and the 3DF elbow guards should be here in a few days. I also have the Omega S1 kneck brace on the way.
    Next is padded shorts for hip armor. I am considering the Forcefield Action Shorts. Not sure if I should go with the Pro ( which is my inclination ) or the Sport padding.
  10. snare

Oddometer:
    Received the Fly Racing branded 5.5 Pro HD last evening. Rode 100 + street miles today to and from Burlington Vermont. It hit 90* F today while I was riding.

Impressions :
    - It was a comfortable fit, still fine tuning adjustments
    - I wore it under my FirstGear Kathmandu jacket with the shoulder armor and back protector removed ( Leatt 3df elbow guards is still in the hands of the USPS ). Under the protector I wore a short sleeve merino base layer.
    - It fit fine under the Kathmandu.
    - The 5.5 Pro HD only seemed warmer when I was at a stop ( did a lot of stop and go when I got to the city ), and then only mildly so. When moving, it seemed no warmer than the Kathmandu with all of its regular armor in.

[​IMG]

The Kathmandu is a size medium. i am 5'5", 150 pounds, with a 40 " chest and I wear 30 or 31" waist size pants.
    The 5.5 Pro HD is the "Adult" size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a backpack over the protector
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under a gore tex shell
    [​IMG]

With a full sleeve heated liner under the 5.5 Pro HD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am really liking the 5.5 Pro HD so far.
    I am leaving tomorrow AM for some riding along the Maine coast. After that I plan to hit New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Quebec.

I finally decided to try wearing my armor on me. i also have the Leatt Dual Axis Knee Guards and should have the elbow guards and neck brace soon.
    I am looking for versatility for varying temps and weather for street/adventure/dual sport riding.
    I arrived in Vermont a couple weeks ago from western NC and I got here using all back roads and did almost all of the TET in VA. I had two pretty hard get offs on the most remote dirt sections of the TET in VA. No one had passed that way in quite a while, as evidenced by the numerous blowdowns and lack of tracks. In fact, I only saw a couple 4 wheeled vehicles on any unpaved portions of the TET and only one other bike during the multiple days I was on it.
    I live off of the bike, I travel and teach. I ride every day, everywhere, as it is really my only transportation. The full back, chest, shoulder and rib protection of the 5.5 Pro HD feels like a greater level of security that I hope to integrate into my life. I intend to update this thread with further impressions.
  11. cwegga

cwegga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please do keep us updated. I'm really interested how this works out. I've been leaning towards the TekVest Outback model but I could change my mind. Like you I wouldn't just be using this off-road but for commuting and other road trips too.
  12. snare

Oddometer:
    Heading to Maine here in a few.
    Got the Omega S1 neck brace in this AM.

Here it is over the Kathmandu/5.5 Pro HD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CaptainAdv likes this.
  13. snare

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of trying another neck brace. I am unsure, but do not think that a leatt 5.5 neck brace will fit over a jacket.

I am looking for a neck brace that will work over a jacket that is over the 5.5 Pro HD.

I am considering an Atlas or the Leatt STX...dies anyone know if these will fit over a jacket over the Pro HD ?
    Also, does anyone know if ether an Atlas or a Leatt STX (front only ) will fit in the Pro HD brace slot when I am not wearing a jacket ?

thanks for any help.
  14. backpain

backpain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My $0.02 is going to repeat a few prior themes. I recently returned from the following:

4 days, 90+% off road. Temps from 38f - 85f within single day rides. Occasional rain. Occasional 15 minute 55+ mph runs to get to a trail. Extremely hard work at 8k-13k ft (ie body heat and heavy breathing)

Background: Tried the Leatt Airfit pressure suit, but could not make it fit properly - pads were just not in the right places., so I needed adjustability of a multi-piece outfit. Have used a mesh/denier CE padded street jacket off-road, but around rocks and trees wanted more. Wanted shoulder, elbow and rib protection, just knowing how I've off'd previously. Needed at least one hot weather setup for 100f in the shade with 90% humidity and low airflow (slow, wooded singletrack). Have not yet invested in another cold weather rig, so the 5.5 Pro went on the trip. I'm 6'8" 220+ dry.

Fitment: leatt 5.5 HD Pro (XL) over a wicking longsleeve shirt and MX XL vented/mesh jersey. Hip/thigh/tailbone padded undershorts and EVS XL knee sleeves under Dual axis L knee guards - MX vented pants (with hip pads and mildly padded knees) over all of that. 2-3L water bag in a pack with extra storage. MX boots. 3df XL elbows over the top of all the upper bodywear. MX helmet/goggles. MX gloves.

I have tried the L and the XL Dual axis knee guards and the XLs sometimes slipped, while the L's leave lasting indentions in my shins and calves after a full day ride (straps too loose on the XL but too tight on the L). The XL's would probably work over MX pants - have test fitted them that way, but no long rides except once in jeans. No one makes over-the-knee socks long enough for me, so the EVS sleeves keep the knee guards from rubbing (there's still a pile of leg hair after a full day ride, but no chafing or pain). I easily could have sported Underarmour heat gear tights instead of knee sleeves (learned this from other riders in the group, that were better fitted for the cold mornings, yet still comfortable in the sun in the afternoon), but could not do that back at home in the 100f/100humidity summers

Never overheated. Never froze (although, top of the mountain, standing still in 30+ mph wind was cold). Survived some decent offs. A few times I felt a little chest constricted - mostly due to the back pack and cardio exhaustion in extreme territory at high altitude. Really only had trouble 1 day - sore, tired, hung over, pushing my skill limits - had to adjust the 5.5 and back pack a bit. Overall, worked very well. Took longer to get ready every AM with all the separate pieces, but it fit well due to adjustability.

Even in light rain, never got too cold or too wet. Highway miles at dusk would have been too cold and too wet in the rain. A thin hard shell could have helped in the cold windy high altitude or wet sections, but body heat made up the difference. Harder rain would have required a hard shell over the 5.5. Pro or waterproof jersey under it. From prior experience a MX jersey over the 5.5 Pro is warmer and helps keep everything in place. I opted for over-the-jersey this trip - Easier to de-gear for lunch stops in town. Not as much retained body heat. Noticeably better airflow.

Now, more experienced guys with no water on their backs and mesh pressure suits looked more comfortable. But, I was certainly more protected. They did not need it as much, although one guy was saved by hard forearm protectors in a sudden downhill slick rock wash out (I think he was in an EVS pressure suit - similar to Fox, with a built-in kidney belt)
    snare likes this.
  15. snare

Oddometer:
    Quick update:

Been using the Leatt 5.5 Pro HD every day and I find it very comfortable. I have been wearing it under a jacket but will be using a Dakar Pro jersey over it ( and sometimes under it ) soon. Rode in 93*F temps with 90% humidity today and a few other days of similar heat and humidity. So far the 5.5 has met all my needs.

I decided to go with an Atlas Air neck brace after directly comparing it with the Leatt STX and the Omega S1. The Atlas Air fits in the front pocket of the 5.5 Pro HD and the rear braces sit nicely over the back protector. I can also wear it over the jacket (which is over the 5.5 Pro HD ). The Atlas Air is light and simple. Easy on and off.
    I will have a more detailed comparison with pics posted soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leatt 3DF elbow guards finally arrived and will start wearing them tomorrow.

I also went with the Forcefield Pro Action Shorts and the Leatt Dual Axis Guards under some Dakar pants.
  16. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have enough experience with the protectors that have the redesigned shoulder cups to have an opinion as to how they will perform? I returned my 5.5 HD Pro for a refund due to the failure of the rear shoulder cup straps. It looks like the new design would allow the shoulder cup to catch air and possibly roll off the back if you have enough speed. What's the opinion of those with experience with the new design?

Other than the shoulder cup issue I really liked my last one and would like to replace it with the new Leatt model if it gets good reviews.
  17. snare

Oddometer:
    I have the newer shoulder design (obviously :) ) and I haven't had the cups move due to wind and don't see how they would, they have the single attachment point to the harness but are also held to your arm with a wide strap.

Also there are some pics of the Leatt 5.5 Pro HD with a couple other neck braces in this review thread I made :
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...r-everyday-adv-and-dual-sport-riding.1088330/
  18. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I really like the design of the earlier models better in regards to the shoulder protection, just wish the straps stayed put better. Progress isn't necessarily better, IMHO. I'll probably replace it with the newer version 'cause I don't know of anything better.

19. snare

Oddometer:
    There are still slots in the hard plastic shoulder cups of the newest version.

I imagine one could sew some 1" webbing to the edge plastic of the front protector (or sew a tri glide there) , run the webbing through those slots and then either sew it directly to the edge plastic of the rear protector or sew a slide-loc or even a side release buckle there. Either slide-loc or buckle would still allow the shoulder pieces to be removable. there would then be 3 points of attachment to the protector and the shoulder strap to your arm.
  20. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just figured I'd add my .02ยข

I bought a 5.5 Body Protector. I've spent a few long hour rides in it in different levels of riding. Here are some thoughts.

Sizing/Fit - I'm 5'9"/200lbs - 45" chest, broad shoulders and a 35" waist. I started out with a L/XL. The fit was comfortable however I wasn't too keen on the shoulder armor as it seemed to be a bit forward and a bit loose. I ended up ordering a SM/MD to compare it with. To my surprise the fit was the same over most of the suit except for the forearms. That's where it was just too tight. The fit everywhere else was no different than the L/XL. I ended up keeping the L/XL.

The rides - The first 2 trips out in this were a couple of dirt road tours - basically a good 5-6hrs in the saddle and being in the suit for a good 8hrs. The weather on both days started in the 50's and ended in the 80's with very little humidity. After the first 5 minutes I never even really thought about the suit again all day. I did wear this under a Fox jersey and even put a sweatshirt on over that for the morning. I was unable to tuck the jersey in but that didn't matter much to me. The back protector is a perfect length in that it doesn't interfere with the seat when seated. The shoulder cups still felt a bit loose but again, until I actually went down in it (wait for it!!) I was unable to gauge whether or not they would move.
    I wouldn't want to be sitting around in this thing in hot/humid weather. It doesn't breathe all that well when stationary.

The ride over the weekend was some technical single/double track. Meaning I worked a lot more on the bike. The temps were still very reasonable starting out in the low 60's and ending in the mid 70's by the time we packed up. The trails were pretty slick due to some rain the day before. Anyone that rides in New England knows that means the rocky, rooted trails were pretty slippery. It wasn't one of my better days in the woods meaning I was on the ground a few times. Mostly low speed but still falling on a lot of hard stuff. I went over the handlebars once and felt the impact in the chest. I also landed on each shoulder a couple times. Each time I came out without a scratch or bruise. Much to my relief the shoulder cups stayed in place and did their job.
    It was a bit more humid so whenever we stopped to take a break I was sweating pretty good. I don't care how many vents Leatt says are in the suit it flat out doesn't breathe well when stopped. Again, while in motion, I never knew I had it on.
    I probably won't wear this in the heat of the summer. It'll be just too hot. I'll end up picking up something lighter. I do really appreciate all the protection the suit offers. And overall it is comfortable.

As for getting it off when all sweated up, I didn't find it much of a problem. I wore a UA Heat gear short sleeve shirt underneath to minimize any chafing issues and help with removal - a trick I learned from wearing 1pc leather suits during the summer on the street bike.
    When taking it off I would unbuckle the rib protection, undo the kidney belt, unzip the sides and then flip the back over my head so it's laying on the front. From there I would pull at the shirt section of the upper sleeves until it slid off my shoulder and then grabbed the sleeve area of the elbow protector and slid the whole section off my arm.

That was my experience so far with the 5.5 Body Protector.
    outwestrider and snare like this.