Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 ...based on everything I have seen have to agree. I like that they are symmetrical! And the gap on the left side looks like a great place for a tool tube :D
  2. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    +1

What model is that? HT's site doesn't show that cut (unless it's custom).....
  3. booth99

booth99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teton 9" Clif Cut.
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Had the shifter spring recall and center stand recall done today. Shifting seems just a touch crisper, meaning I can feel the indexing of the gears a bit better. They did not replace the center stand, but I never had any problem with it anyway. They did install the thicker center stand bumper. At this point I have no idea if they were really supposed to replace the stand. I've read too many conflicting reports from other dealers. Anyone know the real truth?
  5. Oshiat

Oshiat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Built a phone/GPS bracket to mount to my Madstad screen. 3/4" pcv with a piece of 10-24 allthread through the middle. Attaches between the windscreen brackets. If if works well, I will replace the PVC with a piece of aluminum rod. Now if I could rotate the photo all would be well.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
  6. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Does one of you live in the SF Bay Area and has a paddock stand? I got a center stand today and need to mount it. Mounting instructions say as one of the first things: remove side stand.

Anybody in the area who could help? I'm in the South Bay and could bring bike, stand, and beer (if you so desire) ... :lol3
  7. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for all the input. Here it is...wifey is signed on with me. :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. dirtconnector

dirtconnector erythematic nucha

Oddometer:
    :norton
    You lean it far enough, any hard part (ie. the peg mount, shift lever) that that touches down in between the direct line of the front and rear of a Tiger 800 (see title of thread, not talking about track bikes here) will act as a fulcrum and lift the tires when in the apex.

Anyway, Congrats on your new Tiger, browneye. I got the white one too. You're gonna love it. As I'm working this weekend, I've been out an hour before and an hour after work putting in break-in miles. I work graveyard shift so I'll eventually post pics on some sleepless night.
  9. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    After a few muddy off road jaunts I noticed the XC likes to throw crap on to the rear shock (and the general vicinity). Rather than opt for the rear tire hugger (don't really care for the look), I thought I'd remedy the problem with the "contraption" my 05 Tiger had- a little mudflap. So off to Lowes and $3.00 later and 15 minutes of work this is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

I cut a piece of rubber stair tread cover (it's slightly heavier than truck inner tube material) and industrial Velcro to the airbox and back of the mudflap and done. It has stayed in place well on the road although I haven't given it the mud test yet. It should help keep most of the mud from reaching the shock since the flap on the 05 Tiger did a pretty good job of keeping the area clean....
  10. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about the Tiger 800. Go lift up on the foot peg of one. You'll see it pivots upward. Just like a track bike :deal I never said I had touched down a mount or a shift lever, only the foot pegs. That's more than enough lean for the street. And since I'm speaking from experience I know it doesn't leverage tires off of the ground. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to host the 2 gig video I shot last summer on the bike down in the smokys or you could see for yourself.
  11. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like that! I'm gonna copy tiger that one :evil

BTW, didn't you have an orange 955? That was a good looking bike.
  12. rubRsidedown

rubRsidedown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, this past weekend my Wife and I were talking about her 06 BMW 650gs and the need at some point in getting a bigger/badder/better bike. :evil
    I'd LOVE to put her on a 950 like mine but she doesnt think that would be a good choice for her.
  13. T

T --------------

Oddometer:

Yep that was me. Traded 05 Tiger at 50k and still ran strong as ever.

If she's got long legs let her take a 800 Tiger for a romp....
  14. rubRsidedown

rubRsidedown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well she doesn't really. 28ish... She's 5'5" tall, 115# so that wont help squish the suspension either.
    Is there a lowering kit for the bike? There MUST be.

She likes the Triumph and the BMW 800 gs.
    What are the pros and cons of either?
    The Beamer is more $$$ I would assume.
    She/we do ride off road (logging/fire roads) often so the XC would be a plus but not a must.

Whats the MPG on the Triumph.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    If its anything like the HB centerstand, which the instructions said you also need to remove the centerstand, you don't really need to. One of the two screws remained in the sidestand so it was still held in place. I was just careful not to move the bike around too much with only one screw in it. Additionally, the install is pretty quick so you could just get someone to hold the bike for a minute while you replace the existing screw with the new one that allows fitment of the centerstand.
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info - I don't think it's a super easy install, have heard bad things about it. Therefore I don't want to rely on this, but will still take a look whether it's possible without removing the side stand for too long.

Still looking for a paddock stand or something similar as this would make it much easier.
  17. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Tiger 800XC V BMW 800 GS

Lowering kits are available for the 800.

I'm getting around 50mpg now with no hard bags on.

Both good bikes pretty much in the same ballpark of ability and close on price depending on the deal you strike.
  18. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't even consider it w/o support from a lift or paddock stand. It's a bitch to get the flanges with locator pins lined up on both sides at once. Especially by yourself. DAMHIK!
  19. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Simple to just tie it off to a post or pole, both sides if necessary. Unless you need more ground clearance, in which case you could run the front up on a block.

Was up tinkering on the new bike 'till late last night. Cut all the bracket crap out of the under-seat bin, filled in the missing tools for the tool pack, and found I didn't have a 17mm hex for the front axle. So a flat repair for the front would have been impossible. Picked up one of those motion-pro axle tool thingies - crap they are expensive. Oh well.

Move the bars all the way up to the next-to-last mark and they are plenty high but not as swept back. Suits just fine and now great for standing. I doubt I'll need risers. They put you in a perfect 'attack' position. Put my GPS ram mount on the bar clamp while I was at it. Just need to run a power feed to it from one of the lights up there.

Also found with the rubbers out of the footpegs (don't need) there is enough legroom with the seat low, so that works a lot better for my 31" inseam.

Did some tidy up on the tail, got rid of some clap trap back there...

[​IMG]

My old magnetic tank bag fits pretty good too. Sump guard is on, they had to order the engine guards and center stand. Hand guards are shiite. Not sure how to install some real ones, the bar end has a very small bolt hole.

[​IMG]
  20. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Here's a pretty detailed center stand install video for T800XC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglR4GRO2h4

I've carefully used two jacks (bottle/scissor) under each side of the swingarm for a paddock stand type lifting arrangement...