r1200gs vs Harley's

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Slvrtundevl, Oct 12, 2008.

1. RidingAgin

RidingAgin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must have gotten the oddball 105hp GS.........:rofl

Seriously, the GS is great handling, great for going airborne on a highway at 60+ and having confidence when hitting the pavement of control. Also been on some nasty logging roads in the mountains with the GS. :evil
  2. twowheeledfish

twowheeledfish of the Diet of Salmon

Oddometer:
    :nod
  3. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Low-end torque is useful on every sudden burst of speed. One thing to consider here, just riding around (as I have for 33+ years daily on lots of bikes) at the regular speeds one drives in the city and even the country, you can have the Harley at 3K rpm and one single twist of the throttle will cause more jump in the next two seconds with the Harley, than the same twist of the GS at 4.2K rpm at the same speed. It's feet per second that the Harley delivers on, not miles per hour like the GS.

Remember the numbers above, 115 ft lbs vs only 104 (a 10% difference is 110% effort:D), but note the RPM difference! - that is due to longer stroke which equals higher "piston feet-per-minute" speed at the same rpm compared to a shorter stroke engine. Piston movement per second is the real limit (not RPM) - The Harley moves the air really fast because the piston moves more quickly (feet per second) than any shorter stroke engine.

This is very useful when a vehicle is showing intent of perhaps using the space that you're in and you just want to sort of step a bit forward to indicate clearly where they should be, or being able to jump out of the way in those cases where your only option is to speed up or crash (i.e. just too late to stop).

just saying, different type of power than some ability to hit top speed quickly, I mean, how useful is the ability to get from 40 to 60 in 2.2 seconds (or what ever) compared to the ability to jump 12 feet forward relative to the car next to you vs only 8 feet forward in the same time frame?

So what one does with the shorter-stroke engines, is keep the revs higer, thus the same twist of the grip is the same torque. Some folks don't like the higher revs, they prefer the slower reving machine.

Of course there is the fact that most Harley's are too stable and way, way too good at keeping a straight-line going, you really have to work hard to make them turn :D. That's why I've only rented Harleys and never owned one, I prefer the Beemer handling and I just compensate for the shorter stroke with the higher revs:clap (I do like being having the option to adjust my relative position forwards at times:1drink).

So get a GS and enjoy the turning and braking, but don't ride around on it at 3K rpm, it really more of a dog down there compared to 4500+:wink:

me
  4. Rikki Rockett

Rikki Rockett MOTORCYCLE EVANGELIST

Oddometer:
    A Harley isn't about performance. It should be a big, fat bike that is ridden in a way that the rider doesn't give two f**ks. When guys try to out perform other bikes with it, or say that it out performs other bikes.... well, please!

I have had several Harleys and have had problems with some and others not really. The GS hasn't had any problems yet, but I only have a few thousand on her, so that doesn't count.

Get a harley = sit low, wear a brain bucket, act badassed and cruise.

GS = have fun!
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    In contrast to the tens of thousands of R1200GS' that have had virtually no issues. A sample of one, sadly it is true on occasion, is not much to go on.

Sorry you had so many issues, but any brand can have a similar bad luck bike. Just look at other forums.

My 12GS has been nearly perfect in 54K miles, as were my other BMWs. A sample of three, and about as relevant as your sample of one.

Jim :brow

PS Back to the OP's point. If you love a good handling bike that has decent power, and is very versitile, you cant really beat the BMW. Do your own maintenance, takes an hour, and it will be very cheap to ride. Nothing wrong with the HD, but they are very different bikes.:deal
    Electrical likes this.
  6. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
    I take back the harley, Bad assed part. Actually, Dual Sport Riders are the bad asses these days, IMHO.

I guess a bike that you don't take in the dirt and beat the crap out of might have less issues.
  7. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    I put right at 90,000 miles on my old KLR 650...it was a great bike but not a comfort bike for long distance... I have gotten older now and really love my GS Adventure, is it as maneuvarable as the KLR, not quite. But if you know how to ride you can take them alot of places...Oh BTW, 5,000 miles and NO problems!!!:clap
  8. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Man, that ROCKS :clap :clap :clap

Mark
  9. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    VROD was the only HD that was tempting after riding. I would say that if anything the GS is easier to ride than the HDs. That's why I bought the GS.

Truth be known though, if I had a spare $20G, I would drop it on a 2009 vrod muscle...

[​IMG]
  10. mafpolo

mafpolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a HD, A 916, and the GS. The HD has been an extremely reliable beautiful bike, the 916 will scare the hell out of you when it comes to speed, but the GS is by far...by far the best bike I have ever owned.

It will out run & out handle the HD. It is much more comfortable, better for trips, etc. The GS does it all - handle like a sport bike, tour like a touring bike, travel well on crappy roads, etc.

Nothing against other bikes. I like most of them. The GS is special.

Hope you get it. Hope you love it.
  11. twowheeledfish

Oddometer:
    True, so true. Unfortunately, my experience with BMW was rather lackluster and they won't get a second chance for that first impression. How ironic though that the brand most notorious in recent history for being unreliable, has produced a bike that has been absolutely and stunningly foolproof. :clap

I have to add that my very good friend (a connoisseur of performace vehicles) said this of my GS: "That bike is the ugliest bike ever. Not the ugliest bike I've ever seen, but the ugliest bike EVER."
  12. dwestly

dwestly Refuses to Grow Up! Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I have to add that my very good friend (a connoisseur of performace vehicles) said this of my GS: "That bike is the ugliest bike ever. Not the ugliest bike I've ever seen, but the ugliest bike EVER.""

Beauty is subjective. To me, functionality has its own beauty. On the other hand, you could always own an HD. Is it beautiful? Personally, I don't regard overpriced, mediocre hardware modeled on outmoded technology just for the sake of promoting a "lifestyle" as beautiful. But like I said, its subjective. To each their own. If that's what you like, go for it.
    Electrical likes this.
  13. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    seems like the typical police bike isnt a harly anymore... at least its trending that way at a rapid pace. (to be fair, bmw isnt winning the sales either, Honda is) why? harly's break down too much...

14. twowheeledfish

Oddometer:
    Using this mode of thought, I guess a can opener could be beautiful, right? Because its functional. And also using this mode of thought, some can openers are also outmoded technology, eh? But maybe just the hand-crank versions and not the electric ones, right?

Uh, huh...I'm not buying your flimsy circular argument. My buddy was right and the bike was ugly. Park yours in a public place sometime next to a Harley and see which gets more attention.
  15. twowheeledfish

Oddometer:
    Honestly, who cares what cops ride? Unless you're a cop... then I'd care a great deal. Or did I miss this statement as serving the entire basis of your erroneous claim?

p.s. In case you haven't heard, the last Harleys to break down en masse were produced by AMF in the '70's.
  16. Wind-venture

Wind-venture Banned

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for a new bike. Currently ride a DR. Nice bike, handles the twisties well, can take it pretty much anywhere, on or offroad.

I tested a GS and an LT on the same day. The GS just did not do anything for me. Felt smooth and stable, kinda like what you'd want when you were worried about that arthritis pain that just won't go away. The LT was a luxury sportbike, big and scary in the parking lot during slow speed manevours, but handled like a Barry Sanders esq. running back on the open road or beautifull mountain roads down here in Virginia. Problem was a freak gasket failure killed the engine after a mere 381 miles. Just as well, the bike was way too much like a sports car in bulk.

So on went my quest. Tested a 06' Harley Dyna, 07'Yamaha Vmax, 07'Harley Vrod. The Dyna felt classic, gave a sense that you'd want to ride with the wind in your hair and feel the road and sun or snow and just keep going as you experienced all the grandeour of this beautifull country. The Vmax gave nice power, but the windshield was positioned just right to give a nasty blast of wind at any speed. The Vrod has incredible power, but the riding position felt awkward, stretching this middle age back to intolerable limits. Maybe a better seat/handlebar reach. Byt the power leaves you smiling and wanting to turn that wrist more than your license cna handle :D

Then took an 09 Dyna Fatbob and a Vrod Muscle for a test. The Fat Bob is great! Nice riding position the 96 cube gives nice lowend and good step up power. Not as radical as the Buel Uly, but very very nice. The Vrod Muscle is a straigfht line drag bike with incredible power that will make you smile and drive and smile, a better riding position than the old style, but exactly how long can you drive a 120+ without getting into big trouble? :D

I'm now considering either an 09 Dyna Fatbob or Superglide. Nevre tested a 990 KTM as none of the dealers around here want to let a testride happen without already having a deal in agreed to. I think i'll keep my DR for the Dualsport rides and find me a Harley for the street days and touring.
  17. lightfighter

Oddometer:
    im sure anyone that cares what anyone else rides is an idiot. my point is that fleet managers are moving away from harlydavidsons at least in part due to service problems... ie, they seem to be in the shop alot.

so how can my observations, which are reports of what i have seen, eqaul an erroneous claim?

Electrical likes this.
  18. lightfighter

Oddometer:

beemer, hands down. everyone's seen enuf harly's not to give a second look.
    Electrical likes this.
  19. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
    It is indeed even uglier when it passes you!

20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    fixed! :D