Hatfield McCoy Country

Discussion in 'Americas' started by The Real McCoy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. The Real McCoy

The Real McCoy The Real McCoy

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I own a BMW F650GS DAKAR. Before you shoot me let me introduce myself.
    I live and ride in the mountains, valleys, river and creek bushwacking backroads of Eastern Ky. Mingo Co. Wv. and Bucannon Va. 80% single and 2 lane less travelled by truckers and heavy traffic, 20% dirt and some gravel/dirt railway roads along some awesome river roads and a small part of the Hatfield McCoy Trail system. All routes I ride are 100% legal and free to ride with the exception of the small percentage of green trails I have ridden of the H&M Trail System which is all in Wv. I am 50 years and growing, use to ride a Yamaha yz 125 and a Can Am 175 OR when I was in my teens and 20's.
    Good news I may have for some of yall is that I am currently tracking over 500 miles of these back road legal historic and very scenic roads and in the process of riding all of them within the next few weeks to months to years with the bike I recently purchased. Any of you guys and gals want to ride these trails I am for the heck of it calling them The Real McCoy Trails due to the work I am putting into tracking and logging them and also due to me being a direct decendant of the Hatfield and McCoy Feudist. Lots of very twisty blacktop back roads with some awsome breath taking views including a bit of Pine Mountain on the Ky. side of The Breaks interstate Park "known as the Grand Canyon of the south" which sets in Va. and Ky. where last season where a national kayak qualifications were held and part of the Dual Sport Kentucky loop sponsored by BMW of Lousiville Ky.. If you like rough and tough roads mixed with some blacktop bush wacking back roads you can include part or parts of the H&M Trail system while making a small to huge loop. If you are ever in these parts of the woods look me up.
    Anyone or a full crew want to ride these trails with me and posibly my wife and do some gpsing, picture taking, and camping shoot me an email or message.
    [​IMG]
    Have a great ride, The Real McCoy Downtown "Historic" Matewan Wv.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    What a coincidence, just a few days ago I was looking at goolgemaps hunting for good curvy roads to explore. I ended up being drawn towards the H&M area, and was wondering how to meet somebody who rides there.:thumb

I'll get in touch in the spring when I can come up and ride the great roads up there. Til then I'll keep an eye on this thread.
  3. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Hey There Real McCoy,
    I still have relatives over in Tazewell County,VA. Mom's side of the family were coalminers from Pageton,WV down the road from Welch,WV. Rode 52 from Bluefield over to Matewan 4 years ago. I may look you up this summer, would love to have you show me around to some backroads.
    Thanks for posting,
    steveb126
  4. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Awesome, really looking forward to seeing what you have for us here!
  5. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Northern Gravelholic

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Im in..althogh I dont own a real street worthy bike. I do have a Husaberg 570 thats plated & a 2 smoker for the serious s/t.I am looking to come down sometime this spring...posssibly next month if this warm weather holds. Great thread......Thanks
  7. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I remember about you, I'll look you up when I visit my sister. She lives in Swords Creek.

Work is looking pretty hectic for the next 6 months so I may not make it any time soon.
  8. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    Avoid Deep Third Street
  9. mtbiker

mtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would definitely be interested in coming down and riding with you guys. I just live a couple of hours from there. I've been wanting to find some nice riding in that area anyway. I ride a drz400s and klr650.
  10. The Real McCoy

Oddometer:
    Our nearby town:Williamson Wv. is holding its first motorcycle rally MAY 5TH called RALLY IN THE VALLEY. Check it out at: www.tugvalleychamber.com I will have it listed on my web page at www.hatfieldmccoyresort.com soon. I will be setting up a booth introducing the app.1000 miles of dual sport trails and should have them mapped by May 5th. Some of you riders come out if you get the time. There will be a short guided tour of the Hatfield McCoy historical sites on May 5th. and on may 6th if I get enough interested riders I will be doing a huge loopguided tour of several miles that will last all day. I will offer a couple free rooms if a few of you riders would like to come to the rally and help me introduce dual sport riding. My wife will be setting up a booth and will be smoking boston butt bbq BBQ. in my 1956 customized refrigerator. A bikini bike wash will be held that day also, so make sure your bike is dirty.
  11. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks for the invites. Mighty neighborly of you.

Warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.
  12. The Real McCoy

Oddometer:
    Get a chance get up this way and we can do some re exploring. I have owned my dual sport bike for only a few months and would enjoy having some help re exploring. There is just to many trails. This place is totally covered with trails of all sorts. You never actually get lost you just do not know where you are at times.
  13. The Real McCoy

Oddometer:
    Get a chance come on up! Camping is free here in town and if not I may provide free lodging at our inn at www.hatfieldmccoyinn.com My new dual sport spot touring website id www.therealmccoytrails.com email is kt3mcc@aol.com lets get this place known the way it should have already been known a long time ago by riders. To many roads to mention. :norton
  14. The Real McCoy

Oddometer:
    To much to mention. Check out Don Childress trips to this area on ADVRIDER FORUMS. He is from North Carolina. He is an avid rider of this area and has been riding here for years and knows his way around including the history, backwoods and where to cross the rivers.
  15. The Real McCoy

Oddometer:
    Look me up at Wingos Grill downtown Matewan Wv. on friday or saturday and mention you posted on the ADV site and dinner is on me.
  16. The Real McCoy

Oddometer:
    Work is for people that do not know how to play!!! Stop by and lodging is on me. Let me know a few days ahead of time so I can pre warn my wife. Serious! Plenty of trails on and off road. Lets get together and have one heck of a rally here. I can get a bit of support from tourism to help with expenses.
  17. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    OH dang......Need to clean my contacts.... thought you said "prewarm" my wife, wow how hospitable of you.....:rofl

how about some pictures..........of the trail riding area!!!
  18. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Ditto !

I was thinking the same thing. About the "prewarm" and wanting to see pictures..... of trails. :lol3
  19. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will have to run down to check out the trails this summer
  20. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: