Mid-Atlantic Tag-o-Rama

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by YRU, Jan 29, 2010.

1. YRU

YRU Hear today, deaf tomorrow Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of starting up a new Tag-o-Rama for the Mid-Atlantic region. This would include - Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, North Carolina & Washington DC.
    The rules are as follows-

#1 - Find the tag and take a photo of the location with your bike in the photo. The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. That person will have 48 hours to post the next tag, if they haven't by that time (weather will be taken into consideration, ie. 20" of snow), then it can be grabbed by anyone else, and they may post the new tag.

#2 - Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located. Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history that can be found down some nice twisties. Check the official map to be sure you new tag location has not been done already. Repeats are ok.

#3 - Tag must be A/ Findable and B/ Not placed on a dirt road. Maintained gravel is OK, but make sure to let folks know that gravel is required to get to your tag. We don't want to exclude those who don't like to get dirty.

#4 - File photos are NOT permitted. You gotta ride to play this game.

#5 - No whining. If you have a valid sugestion to improve the game, we can listen to that. If you just wanna bitch and moan because you got Bruce'd, do it elsewhere.

#6 - If the tag does not move in 168 hours from the drop-off time, it may be grabbed by the same tagger who dropped it off, and moved to a new location, ad infinitum.
    :dealThis will heretofore be called the P.W.Y. Rule, or Play With Yourself Rule.:deal

#7 - The mascot is optional. If it has been placed at a tag location, please make an effort to place it in your new tag location. If circumstances don't allow for that (because it is in a public space etc) then a photo of the tag location and your bike will suffice.

#8 - This is totally optional, but it would really make this game a bit more interesting (suggested by JLRzr by the way). If you are grabbing the tag and have the mascot bag, you may want to add a lottery ticket to the cache as an incentive for the next grab.

How will we divvy the spoils up if the ticket wins?

The Mid-Atlantic Tag-O-Rama Map is here - http://goo.gl/maps/2gj7

First tag to be posted soon (weather permitting).
  2. usp45

usp45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would hate too see tag get stuck in one state to long, maybe Drop tag in different state than tag was Got in?
    That would keep your game from settling close to home and guarantee a true mid-atlantic game.
  3. YRU

Oddometer:
    I like your thinking usp45. See new rule #6
  4. YRU

Oddometer:
    Maybe we'll give rule #6 a test ride? If the tag starts to stall a lot then it's history. The rule would definitely encourage longer trips, instead of block hopping.
    I will be posting the new tag as soon as I can make a path through the snow on my street.:ddog
  5. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    In lieu of rule six I think you need to define the geographical limits better. A tag in Erie PA or Abingdon VA would probably sit for weeks. - unless you don't mind that for your game.
  6. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's no reason this tag game has to move fast, it's not a "commuter tag" but to head off border bouncing, instead of different state, maybe 60 and up mile moves. Just a thought... PA is BIG compared to D.C.
    This game looks good. Due to probable day trip distances maybe intro a mascot (not unlike the NorAm egg) that does represent the tag, with a first "bruced" gets it if no new tag is posted/claimed within a week of the posted 2nd place.
  7. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    The above "Rules"have been blatantly lifted from Blinkerfluid.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429115
  8. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would agree that rule 6 could be problematic. I do like the idea of a minimum mileage rule though. That would make the tag move a bit without requiring it move to a new state.
  9. hondahawkrider

hondahawkrider DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer:
    Rule #6 ie tag in a different state it going to lead to more slab to take/get/place a tag...

One of the nice things about tag was seeing new stuff and taking fun new roads to get there ... If you take a tag where no state border is nearby it could sit untill you get back out again especially if you have to travel some distance, and if you have to place a tag in another state - it's going to be more of a chore to get to said new state and find a place to tag.. Odds are it will be just inside the line..

Let's say I blow a whole day getting to and back from a tag in MD (you know to post it up before i get bruced, unless I use a laptop or library somewhere).. I then have to ride to another state to place it.. It would be far easier for me to sneak into DC to place it as that is closest, but the roadd might not be so fun....

It you want to add some complexity to the game, make folks take a pictures of something more specific - like a historical site - or one another board where I play a similiar game - make it a picture of the snake like twisty road ahead...:deal
  10. sct ptersns twn

sct ptersns twn Wait, what........?

Oddometer:
    .......another Tar-o-rama for Upst8 and Tidewater KLR to attack! :lol3
  11. 800SSDuc

800SSDuc Who is John Galt?

Oddometer:
    Ummm.... so where is the 1st tag?
  12. YRU

Oddometer:
    Coming, coming. Between work and a snow covered street that won't melt. I know blaa blaaa. It will be very soon.:baldy
  13. YRU

Oddometer:
    You all have been very patient, and finally here is the first tag of the Mid-Atlantic Tag-O-Rama.
    The mascot is 'The Holy Snail', a jewel encrusted mollusk. Behold!
    [​IMG]

He hitched a ride north to.......
    [​IMG]

This is the tag shot.
    [​IMG]

Could this be the clue shot?
    [​IMG]

Nesting here.
    [​IMG]

The exact location of The Holy Snail is..... follow the arrow.
    [​IMG]

Best of luck, and I hope the snail doesn't reflect the rate in which he moves around the Mid-Atlantic region in the future! :kbasa
  14. Dr. Beard

Dr. Beard Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer:
    So.... there is a mascot?? :huh As in mascot gets the tag and the photo backs it up?

If so, Rule #1 needs a re-write.

Also: I love the spirit behind Rule #6, but that pretty much guarantees that the southern 1/3 of the map will be abandoned due to it's distance from any legit (in this game) border. A distance rule could maybe work....

Just my useless 2c. :dunno
  15. usp45

usp45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of good arguments about rule 6, that i didnt consider.
    On with the game!:clap
  16. mica

mica Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good grief....
  17. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah this tag getting deep into Virginia would mess with the game and stall it out if rule 6 stays. But if rule 6 is not there the tag would still just end up staying in Virginia once it gets here,but at least there would be lot's of active play...:evil
  18. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    I'm within 30 miles of 4 of the states in the EPH of WV. I can literally walk over to MD from my house. Not that I'm lazy or anything... cough.
  19. YRU

Oddometer:
    Rules # 1 and #6 have been revised, thanks to your suggestions.:mully
  20. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    Hey yrunotriding,

sent ya a pm

:D