Lipowear's SitRelief shorts for scrawny butts: Oh so comfy

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kindofblue, Jul 17, 2009.

1. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    LDComfort for the World. 16 hours yesterday from Chicago to NY. Of course my ass was on fire for the second half, but I made it.
  2. ironmtnracing

ironmtnracing MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer:
    Just finished the Alcan5000 and used these shorts to help combat a chronic tailbone issue.

I ended up wearing them over bike shorts so that I could minimize the sweat factor and continue to wear the shorts day after day.

I rode the entire 4800 miles without any issue with my tailbone! Now, I did end up with a little monkey butt late in the event but I don't believe the SitRelief shorts were to blame.

I believe these shorts were one of the best "comfort" investments I made in preperation for this event.

My 2¢

John
  3. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Hi John,
    Thanks for the independent review. I personally wear synthetic boxer shorts under the sitrelief shorts to address the "moisture" issue. Even then though they are warm when the temps are above 90.
  4. ironmtnracing

ironmtnracing MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda partial to my EVS shorts as they provide tailbone specific padding, and allow for thigh pads if needed. I do understand your point however and agree that's the key to keeping them fresh :evil
  5. jbollert

jbollert JABO

Oddometer:
    Apology offered. Your request was not handled correctly do to staff vacation (me). Credit applied. I am sorry for your inconvience. Joe Bollert, Cofounder, SitRelief Shorts. jbollert@lipowear.com.
  6. tuldav

tuldav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Started to order but can't see spending almost $20 for "priority" shipping (two pair), almost half the cost of the shorts :huh . First, I don't need "priority", second, can't imagine something so light costing so much even if I chose next day air (which, by the way, is almost $60 for two!! :eek1 ). A single pair S&H is over $11.

Instead of pricing profit in the S&H, just change the price accordingly and reflect more accurate S&H costs, plus a non-urgent option. I guess the bottom line is the same, but geez!

Still considering, though. Maybe a group order to reduce the cost per.
  7. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Let's see, they're selling the shorts at 50% off (which is probably at cost given the materials and it's made in the USA, not China), give you a $$ back guarantee, and you're thinking you could get a better deal with a group buy? I doubt it.
  8. tuldav

tuldav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, you misssed the point. Bottom line is bottom line. Hopefully, you are not the customer service rep.

Warmest regards
  9. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Nope, just a happy customer who, when given a chance, supported the company by investing in it.
  10. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Just to update this thread, Sitrelief shorts are offering a $20 rebate to anyone who gets a prescription from their doctor for these shorts. Even after you've bought them.

Details here:
    http://sitrelief.com/index.php/rebate
    $20 REBATE

Submit a prescription for SitRelief Shorts from your doctor and receive a $20 Rebate on your purchase. Click here for details Rebate
  11. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May I revise this thread? I just bought a BMW GTL to ride out west from NC and back. After putting in a 250 mile day today, my ass killing me. I've used a beaded seat cover for years with good results but now I guess since I've aged I've lost some padding in my arse. I'd like to try a pair of these shorts. Are there any discounts still available? I've only found them at aerostich and at the official site.
  12. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Hi, Ouch. 250 mi. and your backside's sore.

I'm not aware of any rebates right now but they do have a money back guarantee if you buy them from the sitrelief.com site. I just don't know of anyone who's bought a pair that has returned them.

13. ShimrMoon

Oddometer:
    I have some aerostich riding shorts, which are expanded bicycle (padded seat) shorts but I wanted to try something else. I'm leaving on a month long retirement ride to Colorado and beyond. Don't have time for a custom seat so... padded shorts is about all I can do. I figure with these shorts and my freedom air seat cushion, I'll make it.

BTW, if I ever get the opportunity to meet the design crew at BMW in Germany, I'm gonna throw them a beat down with a ball pein hammer, especially the seat makers...

I'm gonna order a pair from aerostich since I get 10% off for being an MSF instructor. Thanks for the swift reply!

I'll post my opinions about these shorts from the road.
  14. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've tried bike riding shorts and those akin to them. Pretty worthless IMHO for long, multi-day m/c rides. And I ride a road bicycle.

I've yet to encounter an oem seat that works for me and have always resorted to Russell saddles. I still use these shorts though on multi-day long trips. The only time I haven't liked them is when temps are above 90F. Then they're a bit too warm.

Long retirement ride, eh? Cool. Are you also going to the MOA National rally in Salem OR? I am.

15. ShimrMoon

Oddometer:
    Once I drop my wife off at the Denver airport (on 6/16), all bets are off. Not sure what direction I'll go from there. I'm currently growing some facial hair and I might get a tattoo along the way...:eek1

BTW, not worried about being too warm in the shorts. I've been wearing body armor (in the steamy SE) for nearly 30 years...
  16. ShimrMoon

Oddometer:
    Just got around to replying with my take on the Sitrelief shorts. On the road for about 3 weeks, temps in June 2013 typical for Colorado which was damn near perfect. No humidity, high in the low 80's, low of 40's in RMNP. I was wearing a pair of Motoport mesh kevlar jeans and a pair of the sitrelief shorts. On the seat of my 2013 BMW K1600 GTL was a Freedom Air (air cushion) cover. I rode from NC to TN, KY, MO, KS, CO. Each day I rode about 350- 400 miles, stopping about every 100 miles or so for a break. While in CO, my wife flew out and rode with me all over CO.

Every night that I stopped at a hotel, I'd wash the shorts they dried very quickly, ready for the next days ride. By the time I got back home, I'd ridden 4,500 miles. The only time the shorts were ever a bother was the last days ride from Nashville to Charlotte. The temp was in the low 90's with high humidity. They were pretty warm but only because I got in a huge traffic jam for 3-4 hours of creeping along at walking speeds. I don't think it would've mattered, it was fookin hot! As for walking around, I stopped in Paducah Ky. and walked around the old part of town. Taking in the local shops and exploring the river area on foot. The shorts were a little bulky but not uncomfortable. They are for riding/sitting after all.

The reason I even tried these shorts was because I didn't have time to get a custom seat. I figured that I'd try them with my air cushion. Just so you know, I've logged thousands of miles on the seat cushion without the shorts. The shorts made a tremendous difference. I'd have to say that the Sitrelief shorts are one of the best investments for my motorcycle riding that I've ever made. Riding all day was literally painless. They were slightly bulky but fit nicely under my brand new Kevlar pants. It didn't take but a couple hours to get used to the feel, then I forgot they were even there. The padding never bothered me or chafed my skin. I did use a small amount of "anti monkey butt" powder but I always have.

If you were wondering about my physical make up, I'm 55 yrs old, 5'11", 195 lbs. (ok 197 lbs). :D At this point, I don't think I'll be spending big bucks on a custom seat. The shorts along with the air cushion is a fantastic combination.
    I will try the shorts by themselves when I get a chance to see how they work. For those of you thinking about trying this product, I can say that they worked like a champ for me. They are a little pricey but after suffering for many years with pain from riding, I'd say they've increased my enjoyment 100%. :clap
  17. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear they worked for you on what was a long ride!