Cardo Scala Rider G4 Resource Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by amackenzie, Aug 28, 2010.

1. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    That doesn't make any sense. All the radio's connect to each other via class 1 BT and with the G4's little antenna, they even push that a bit further.

The G4's are even supposed to do better then the Q2's and I can tell you when we did the 3 way with my Dad in the middle with the G4, I could tell I could even get a further distance from him then I usually could from my wife. I think you'll find distance wise, everything will be just fine. It will just be how reliably you can get all the connections to open like you want.
  2. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Great deal @ revzilla!

Figure I should at least mention this in this thread - if you want your Scalas with corded mics for a more permanent helmet installation, you can buy the snowmobile powerset (which come with the corded mic helmet mount) and convert them to motorcycle versions with the app I found....

Instructions here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16451748
  4. dutch97501

dutch97501 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to check back in and post up on how my G4 is doing. I got my G4 pre production almost two years ago. When I first got the G4 the bluetooth software was borderline useless. That said the ability to update the firmware has been fantastic. The latest firmware has fixed all of my bluetooth issues. I paired the headset with my Zumo 660 and then paired my Iphone to the Zumo. This allows me to see all of my phone contacts as well as caller ID. I would love to be able to say that I can talk the suggested one mile bike to bike but realistically its about 1/2 mile. I have done the ear-bud mod and yes its fantastic. I have also removed the mic boom and mounted it in my Nolan N90. I had a power button failure last week and after almost two years Cardo replaced my G4. Needless to say its been out of warranty for almost a year and they still took care of it. I wish there were more company's like Cardo. Life would be so much easier. For anyone considering buying headsets I highly recommend the Cardo Rider G4.
  5. rogernm

rogernm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Does anyone know how to do this?

I have not been able to make it work, yet.
  6. carlt828

carlt828 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a two week trip up to Colorado trail riding with a buddy. I rode 7 days and the intercom on the G4 worked great. Range wasn't as advertised but it was still quite good. When starting to get out of range, it starts getting static. We used them heavily all day long and it was excellent for communicating out on the trail. We both liked the G4 so much we considered it our best purchase for the trip. Much better than any hand signal we could come up with.

They are definitely a keeper. :thumb
  7. csimon

csimon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the best way to set these 3 up?

I tried the phone to the zumo to the g4 - works great for phone, but cannot get pandora playing and radio from zumo is less powerful.

If i tried the iphone and the zumo to the g4 - zumo wont broadcast.

Thinking of bluetooth to the iphone and hardwire to the zumo - any thoughts?

i still havent figured out how to find the new mp3 dedicated chanel either...

lost in translation..

thanks.
  8. rogernm

rogernm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally gave up with the dedicated MP3 channel over bluetooth.

My wife and I both have droids We use bluetooth to the Droids for phone only.

Hardwire the MP3 in the Droids to the G4 when we want to use the bike-to-bike intercom.

The bluetooth to the Droid for MP3 and phone only works when we don't use bike-to-bike intercom.
  9. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    Just want to make sure before I buy.

Will mostly be used between rider and passenger for now. Here is what I want to do.

Rider, Iphone 4 make and receive calls and listen to music, Comm to passenger.
    Passenger, Iphone 4 make and receive calls and listen to music, Comm to rider.

Can both listen to music or phone calls from one of the other phones?

I am thinking of getting TomTom for the Iphone will that give turn by turn to rider and passenger?

Thanks.
  10. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Its a little confusing how you are asking this, but you can only pair 1 phone with 1 G4 at a time, so no your passenger won't hear your music from your phone if its paired with your G4. She must have her own phone or MP3 device to hear music.

Again, with the TomTom, only the person who is actually paired to the device will hear the directions.

If you add the TomTom into the mix, you can sync the "headset" profile to the TomTom and that audio should go through the TomTom to your G4. Technically you should also be able to sync the G4 to the Iphone4 on a "media" only connection and get MP3 from that connection.

The tricky part of all this is getting the G4 to sync only on the A2DP or AVCRP BT profile. If you sync the TomTom first to the G4 and your phone to the TomTom with only the headset profile, that should only leave the A2DP/AVCRP profile left to pair to the G4. I think there are apps you can download to the iPhone 4 to specify what devices get what BT profiles.
  11. mountainfever

mountainfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a trip , just recieved the G4's , already had 2 Q2's wasn't easy but we were able to pair all 4 together , they actually worked pretty good ,other than having 3 other voices in your head gets a little busy when offroading , range was ok , a bit limmited due to the terrain (dense bush and hills ), had to unpair all units then start over fresh with 1 Q2 to each G4 on the A channel then the G4"s to each other on the B channel , took a bit of button pushing if you got disconnected , but overall worked well
    on other rides with just 2 G4's and 1 Q2 worked very well together , range definately better G4 to G4 than G4 to Q2 , but dont think we ever got close to the adverised 1 mile range
    MF
  12. PedroSK

PedroSK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks!

I upgraded my new G4 to software version 3.0, and now the AGC is not working any more. Is there any advice on how to have it working again?

Thanks!!!
  13. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I plug my G4 into my PC dosn't seem to recognize it.. Any advice?
  14. Yeahbaby

Yeahbaby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On your PC with the unit plugged in, right click on the Cardo icon. Then click run as an administrator. It should work then.
  15. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a set today from she-rides.com. $344.99. Never ordered from them before and was thinking the price was to good. But I placed my order and in 15 minutes had a order email with a tracking number.:clap
  16. mattDC5R

mattDC5R Adventurer

Oddometer:

Well i have 4 G4s sitting at home now (bought in powersets), so will be sure to report back with success or failure of 4 way intercom on 4 seperate bikes. We should ample opportunity to test it out at various range so should give a pretty definitive answer onw way or another.

We are also going to do the 3.5mm jack mod on all of them as we have moulded headphones.

looking forward to testing on the bikes!
  17. AmuleK

AmuleK On a bike, no one asks "are we there yet?"

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a 3000 mile trip up to the Northwest, and we had four G4 units with four riders. We had a few unexplained snags in getting them connected, but we were able to get all four units online at the same time. Basically, you connect them as you would if you were in a circle holding hands. You talk to those not connected to you directly through your connected buddy's headsets. (I really wonder if you could get more than four online this way.)

I found that if I was also connected to my GPS, a four-way wasn't possible, for the units must have a limited number of bluetooth channels or ports. If I needed to make a phone call, I would have to disconnect from the riding buddies. When we wished to all speak together, I would just turn off the bluetooth on my GPS.

One very frustrating problem was when making or receiving a phone call through the Zumo, sometimes I could not hear the other party after connecting. I never had this problem with the Q2. This was especially noticeable when I would use speed dials on the GPS, such as "call home". But if I went in and dialed the number by hand, the connection worked. Go figure. :dunno

The range was fantastic (compared to Q2's), and we really enjoyed all talking together sometimes as we enjoyed the twisties or warned each other of radar or the best time to pass a car, etc. The batteries would last about 1 1/4 long riding days, and we didn't always have an outlet to recharge at night. I found a useful accessory was the car charger with the coiled cord. (Revzilla, $30) This allowed us to stay connected after the battery died and recharge at the same time. My buddy used a car adapter for a USB port and the enclosed cord, but it didn't work as well - one even developed a short as it pulled on his helmet during the ride. The coiled cords gave two of us much more freedom of movement and less drag.

The mp3 input worked pretty well and the sound was much better than I expected. My Zumo 550 outputs in mono, so I didn't even waste time with trying to bluetooth music.

I believe that Cardo will be able to perfect things with future updates, but for now, I am tentatively pleased. :happay
  18. RhodeHazard

RhodeHazard ex halligan hooligan Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

19. Harry Bonner

Harry Bonner Harry Bonner

Oddometer:
    I have used autocom for several years and with none existent parts and service, I have decided to try the Scala Powerset. To my dismay, I can't seem to pair my phone. It's a Casio G'zOne. It says it's paired and connected, but will not respond . My work cell and other cells seem to pair up and work perfectly. I didn't see any statement that certain phones would not pair up. Does anyone have an answer. The Scala customer service line seems to care less. The store I purchased it from gave me all the help they could. I would like to keep this unit, but so far, I'm not happy. Any help from the blue tooth guru would be great.
  20. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Thanks, RhodeHazard! Nice piece to keep in the tankbag.