MOD F800/F700/F650 (twin) GS side stand foot

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by toowheels, Dec 23, 2010.

1. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    We're putting all the current info on our parts on the first post now to make it easier to see the latest news. The rest of the thread will continue on as always.

2013 Update:

We now offer two models in black hard anodized only.

Of course they're both CNC machined from 6061 alu. and they share the identical shape that's 2.5 times the size of the stock one and specifically designed not to interfere with the raising or lowering of the side stand (no more counter leaning! :D). They also don't have any sharp edges and don't protrude outside the bike when raised so they won't get hung up on anything. Lastly of course they both come with Disc-Lock's patented locking washers.

They are so effective we've even seen pics of the bike standing up in Baja sand with our Side Stand Foot on it! :deal

FF801B which fits all years (08-13) of F800 GS with any centre stand. It does not fit the factory lowered version.
    [​IMG]

FF601B which fits all years (08-13) of F700 GS and the F650 GS (twin) with any centre stand. It does not fit the factory lowered version.
    [​IMG]

We can ship these very inexpensively too:

Canada $2.75 CAD
    USA $3.75 CAD
    Intl. $5.75 CAD

Link to page on our site:
    http://www.motooverland.com/index_files/Page1682.htm

Thanks!

Dave
    www.MotoOverland.com

Read on to see how the development all went down starting back in 2010...

Well we are working on a side stand foot.

The original goals:
    simple, effective, no sharp points and inexpensive...after all I've never had THAT much difficulty finding a rock or a piece of wood :lol3

No big deal you think?
    That's kinda what we thought. Then we made one up and noticed a few things.

This was our first version... we have already changed the design a little...

[​IMG]
    The tall perimeter gives it lots of strength and the recess and the two bolts make it simple and secure. It about doubles the "footprint".

[​IMG]

So we have progressed in the design after talking to riders and because we noticed by checking some out:

-some of them make it a real pain to raise and lower the stand because they are so big -or more accurately big in the wrong spots so you really have to overcompensate by leaning the bike away from you

-some of them stick out really far outboard and look like they are prone to tweaking the sidestand in the event of a crash and/or getting ripped off in certain circumstances

-apparently some of them like to loosen and disappear

Remember we do like to over-think everything... :D

So what do you have and how's it working? Thoughts, opinions... :ear

Thanks and Happy Holidays all!

Dave
  2. Redhed

Redhed Lost on the Island

Oddometer:
    Dave You've got that right about losing feet. Loctite and Nylock'd and they still flew the coop. Hate that feeling that I am going to tip over when I have to kick my way through the dirt with the present foot. Keep up the good ideas. Love your tool box and rear rack, too. :clap
  3. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, the leaning the bike far to the right to raise or lower the side stand is npot something I really like to do. Sometimes I feel like I could easily drop the bike in some conditions because of the enlarged footprint. Eliminating the area on the front edge of the enlarger might work. You would have to put the attachment screws/bolts in a different position.
  4. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks nice, really nice.
    I have been looking for one of these but so far all have been just too expensive for what they are, imho.
    If the price is right, I'll take one. Even that prototype. :evil
  5. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    love all your accessories...this looks great so far...:clap
  6. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice item.

I just welded some more material onto mine. Hardly any chance of loosing that. :D
  7. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    I felt the bike leaned too far on the side stand so I installed this one from BestRest products.

Came in natural aluminum and I just spray painted it black -

[​IMG]
  8. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Looks great like all your stuff. I never understood the price some were asking for these things. I had bought on that was a sandwich of three layers but it was destroyed off-roading. I went back to my tried and true piece of Ikea black cutting board bolted to the stock foot. Looks good, the bottom gets scratched up and becomes non slip, when you smash it it has a little give. Will probably order one of yours for the bling factor since the Ikea specials do wear out eventually.
  9. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good. I know you mention in your post above that you think others make theirs too big. But in my opinion, yours, just needs to be 2-3 times larger length/width. I'd probably buy it then. I don't care about height, just making the footprint as large as possible so that the bike won't tip over on soft ground.
  10. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can't get too big or it interferes with the center stand. It also becomes easier to tear it off when off road. I haven't figured out a perfect solution yet for mine, as I also need about 2 inches of extra height. (To match the suspension mods.) Right now I'm using a piece of 3 inch aluminum round stock milled out to a dish-like shape. It's light enough and hasn't ripped off yet. It was easy enough to drill and tap the bottom of the stand to secure it, and it has held up better that way than the ones I tried to secure from the top or sides (as most do).
  11. The Griz

Oddometer:

What are you getting into off road that is ripping that side stand footprint enlarger off? :huh

Certainly not sand, dirt, or mud. Thick weeds, reeds, or thick brush?:scratch Tall rocks?:scratch Bushes?:scratch

I've ridden a lot of tough sections and the last thing that gets impacted by anything is my side stand.

That said. I've been actually thinking about removing my side stand and taking it to some one to weld on a larger piece of flat metal than is already there.
  12. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome-Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    I found an inexpensive side stand "farckle" for my 'tippy' Dakar in the form of a hockey puck...love it! It also "Canadianizes my ride" as does my flag sticker ...may not appeal to all but..... just my $0.02
  13. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd bet it's mostly the rocks...
    I think it sees most of the damage from it's own downward inertia. Not necessarily a jump, but on rough sections, I find it can bounce down and catch trailside rocks. I was actually thinking of doing like my Husaberg had- making up a rubber bungee type sling that holds it in the up position. That would be the end of that issue then I think...
  14. The Griz

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea. You could simply use the bungee when you get to the trails.
  15. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great input so far!

The welded on steel route is definitely not going anywhere and if it does you have other problems!

The size will be bigger than what you see but not at the expense of being more vulnerable or awkward to use.
    It will also be trimmed in the right spot to facilitate the raising and lowering without too much leaning.
    No vulnerable hardware will used underneath.

Bushwacker: You really found the side stand too short?

Griz: What are you using how? Could you give me dimensions? Obviously the ground softness can vary a lot but how has yours worked?

Keeping a tolerable price is a major goal. :deal

...I think I want a bungee keeper for my center stand...it makes quite a racket down there...hmmmm.

Thanks,

Dave
  16. digdesign

digdesign Hack

Oddometer:
    Dave this sounds great. Sounds like you're going to address all of the little issues I see with the currently available options. I especially like that you recognize the lean angle issue. Count me in.
  17. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    How about having two different sizes (heights) available - maybe simple with spacers.

It would accomodate for having the 140/80 taller sidewall and stiffer rear spring that I believe both make the bike lean more.

Kyle
  18. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    I prefer not have spacers but differing thicknesses would be great.

19. toowheels

Oddometer:
    It's a thought. How much more height do you think is needed? The current version adds about 2mm to the height.

I'm running a 140/80 K60 (stock spring though) and I find it's perfect. Although there are always times when I'm not parking on level ground and then sometimes it's too long and sometimes it's too short :huh I'd rather er on the shorter side cause it's easier to put something under it than to try to make it shorter...err obviously.:lol3

Thoughts?

Motoriley, how much height do you think is needed?

Dave
  20. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    My homemade one adds about 10mm. That seems to work for me although a few mm less wouldn't make a difference.