Removing bad kreem job/ fuel repair shop NE GA

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nerdtastic_89, Apr 29, 2013.

1. nerdtastic_89

nerdtastic_89 awkward hippy

Oddometer:
    Being the noob that I am, I have no real idea where to start finding a trusted fuel repair shop that works on motorcycles willing to tackle the mess that is my tank. Besides the obvious rust in there, a botched kreem job was done and I wanted to try and see if it can be saved so I don't have to buy a new tank. Wanted yalls opinion before I tried to yellow page it. I live in Athens Ga, 30606 willing to travel up to an hour or so out of my area.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure acetone will remove Kreem. Once that's all out, get a POR-15 kit and re-coat it. Don't get any of the chemicals on the outside of the tank.
  3. nerdtastic_89

Oddometer:

Gotta find somebody to do that for me. Because I have NOOOO idea what I'm doing.
  4. JGBrown

JGBrown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's like putting gas in the tank, only you use acetone instead. :evil
    If you've gone for a ride and filled the tank, you've got half of the job covered already.
    Maybe find someone local to help you, so you learn how to do it? Somebody showed me the first time, and it was pretty easy to follow.
    Though we used some other steps to dissolve the rust after. And shook the tank a lot.
  5. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go and buy a kreem kit from the motorcycle shop or elsewhere that you can find it and read the instructions it is pretty straight forward, there is solution in the kit that you use to paint the outside of the tank to avoid messing up your paint, and you can call kreem and ask them the removal part of it.

I have a mechanic who just called me about my tank being rust removed, and I will pick it up in the next hour, he is using electrolysis to remove the rust, this has been just over 3 weeks.

Picked up my tank and it is awesome, the tank looks almost good as new, all the rust is pretty much gone.
    The prior onwer of this bike had poured muriatic acid inside and then done nothing and it was sitting in a car port rusting away for almost 30yrs when I got it.
  6. Gallowbraid

Gallowbraid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you find a shop that works on radiators they can usually dip the tank and get it all cleaned up for you, often times preserving the paint on the exterior was well (don't ask me how.)

If you're willing to travel a bit there's a radiator shop on Airport Road between Baldwin and Cornelia (about 35 minutes north of Athens) that cleaned up a tank for a buddy of mine one time:

Williams Radiator
    1047 Airport Rd Cornelia, GA 30531
    (706) 778-6141
  7. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.
  8. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still have a new kit in my garage!!!!!!:eek1
  9. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:

Agreed. Kreem is krap.

I've seen people get excellent results with the POR15 and Caswell kits. I think I might have heard once of a Kreem job that didn't quickly fail, but I was mistaken.

POR15 even sells a version of their motorcycle tank kit that includes a solvent that will remove a failed Kreem liner. If you can read and follow simple instructions to the letter, you can do it.
  10. ttpete

Oddometer:
    From what I've been hearing, POR-15 isn't recommended for plastic tanks, but Caswell is.
  11. nerdtastic_89

Oddometer:
    You sir, are absolutely awesome! I've traveled further to stare at lakes and eat ice cream. So this is a piece of cake.
  12. nerdtastic_89

Oddometer:
    At this point, I really just want to punch Kreem in the face. And whomever did this half-assed job of it. I'm over Kreem and rust. Out of my tank they must go!
  13. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    Nickerson/Hutchinson Kansas=Cesspool of the World
    Methyl Ethyl Ketone is what is used to disolve Kreem, I have it in the tank of my old honda Trialer...
    Larry
  14. ttpete

Oddometer:
    If I have a tank I'm going to repaint, it goes to a commercial paint stripping company. It comes back bright steel, no paint, no rust. They also do a great job on home heat registers with many coats of old paint.
  15. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Who said anything about a plastic tank? :huh

Anything that would dissolve Kreem (we seem to have votes for both acetone and MEK here; dunno which is better or correct) would also run the risk of damaging a plastic tank, so you'd need to consult a polymer chemist...

But yeah, I know the POR15 stuff is rock-hard when it sets up, so it would be a pretty bad idea with a plastic tank for that reason alone. I haven't seen a sample of the cured Caswell stuff.
  16. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Side thought, and I'll take any answer that sounds like it may be based on just a little fact...

Since a plastic tank will not rust, what would be the reasoning for coating the inside?
  17. CycleDoc59

CycleDoc59 Wrench Rider

Oddometer:
    I've stripped/sealed some 300 tanks over the last
    15 years. It's always been virtually impossible to
    install Kreen such that it does not fail, and quite
    difficult to remove when it does...

MEK works best, but that's nasty, dangerous stuff to
    use, and hard to dispose of once used... It'd be nice
    if someone(s) sued Kreem out of business.

I use Por 15, but like getting a good paint job, proper
    preparation is vital, or Por 15 can fail too.

There are many types of plastics; some don't deal well
    with gasoline and/or alcohol: Google "Ducati tank swelling".
  18. ttpete

Oddometer:
    There are lots of plastic tanks out there. Some swell up, others delaminate from today's witches' brew everyone thinks is gasoline. I've never seen a plastic tank that's been Kreemed, so I wouldn't comment on how to get it out.

Caswell is a phenolic epoxy that sets up almost clear with a slight yellowish cast. It works well as long as the instructions are followed exactly. I've used it on rigid plastic tanks with good results. I don't think anything would work well with the flexible polyethylene tanks sold for dirt bikes.
  19. msells

msells Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. nerdtastic_89

Oddometer:
    Thanks msells!