What can you tell me about the Utah TAT?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by XtRemeAdventures, May 9, 2015.

1. XtRemeAdventures

XtRemeAdventures Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im planning a 24 day trip from iowa to California and back in a big circle. Im looking for places to visit on the way but that's a whole other topic.

Im riding a Xr650L with a beefy cyclerack, wolfman tankbag, and dirtbagz panniers packed with all my camping gear and everything I should ever need for field repairs.

Id love to do the TAT but I don't have time for the entire thing. Utah looks amazing and im considering doing it on my trip. I hear it takes 3 days to complete.

I do not have a gps and its not in my budget for the trip in august.

How difficult would it be just using the Utah TAT map?

How isolated does the trail get? I don't want to have a major breakdown and turn into survivorman.

Anything I should know?
  2. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The section between Green River and Salina can be difficult without a GPS (this section is IMO the best part of the Utah TAT….also the most technical). I had a GPS…but no tracks. I also had Sam's maps. Bottom line…..I made it through Cat Canyon….but could not find Eagle Canyon. I was going West to East (i.e., backwards). I did find the entrance to Black Dragon Canyon and rode that section….and finished the ride to Green River. You most likely wouldn't have that issue if you're going East to West (with just the maps). However, I've read ride reports where people had issues in Black Dragon and other area's along this section without the GPS/Tracks.

If it were me….I'd save for the cheapest GPS you can find and download the tracks.

As far as remoteness….. You're not that far away from I-70….but it may be very difficult to walk to the road (i.e., canyons). Also…you may not see people on these trails for days. I ride solo all the time…but I won't do it in these areas without a Spot or Dorlorme tracking/911 device. If you get seriously injured in these areas…can't walk, etc.,……you'll be in serious trouble unless you have a means of contacting search and rescue. If you don't have or want to buy one….another option would be to rent a SAT Phone.

Lastly, it's going to be a hot mofo in the desert during August. Bring double the water you think you'll need.

Not trying to scare you….just want you to be aware of the realities of riding these trails during the hot summer months…..and want you to be properly prepared.

Many people have ran this route (with only the maps), during the summer, and solo. So it can be done….the key is being fully prepared.

I absolutely loved this portion of the TAT….and subsequently moved to Utah…because the riding/scenery is so great. If you have an extra day….ride the White Rim Trail (near Moab)…..it's fantastic.

Hope this helps….have a great trip :clap:clap:freaky
  3. XtRemeAdventures

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info. All my funds are going to be put into my bike to make this trip possible so the best gps im going to have will be my phone. Maybe ill buy Sams maps and kinda research it first.

Im guessing I wont have cell service out in the middle of nowhere then? Verizon?

I can go about 180 miles on a tank of gas. that should be plenty for the Utah section right? unless I get horribly lost.:huh
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can finance a 24 day trip but can't afford $300 for a GPS setup? Makes no sense.

The TAT is navigated by Roll Charts ( you need a roll chart holder and good 10s settable odo) but you must go east to west. The maps are just for reference and planning, not navigation.
  5. XtRemeAdventures

Oddometer:
    Im camping during this trip so theres not much to finance. Im putting my money into the reliability of my bike and the gear to protect me so yes it does make sense.

Plus if im understanding this correctly Sam didn't make gps for a long time so plenty of people have navigate with his maps and roll charts correct?
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So do you have roll-charts and maps? If so and you know how to navigate using them, you will probably be okay. Like you say lots of people used to and maybe still do navigate the TAT that way.

There is lots of great stuff in Utah starting with the La Sals. Before that it is a little lame. I enjoyed the blast across the desert getting to Baker NV.

To help, you might do a little research on Gemini Arches, Black Dragon Canyon, Piute Trail, Swayzee Cabin(??), Crystal Mountain.

If I didn't have a GPS I would want good paper maps like BLM topos.

You can also probably buy some good maps of the San Raphael Swell. There is a good map store in Moab.
  7. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Firstly, the desert will be miserable in August.

Plan on being on you own. On the weekends there are some people driving around down there but maybe not in August. Swasey cabin, eagle canyon, black dragon are kinda popular for the weekend warriors. Jackass benches, cat canyon not so much. There is cell service in parts of the swell, but not all. You must be prepared to take care of yourself. If you take a gallon of water to last the day and then get stranded, what will you drink until you find help? Which could be days. In August.

I think you could easily navigate thru the swell using a good map like the natgeo trails illustrated map. The thing to be aware of is that the entrance to black dragon is just a gate on the side of I-70, no exit and it's not marked I don't think. Just start looking right after you cross the san rafael river ("river" means a little creek choked with tamarisk).

I'm not familiar with the western Utah portion so IDK about that.

I don't know exactly where it goes thru eastern Utah, but that leg around Moab will be more populated. And easy to navigate with good maps.
  8. ALinUTAH

Oddometer:
    I not really into the canned rides, I'm just familiar with where a lot of the TAT is. But I just went and checked the gpsKevin map, curious how riders come into UT from CO. According to that the TAT doesn't even go thru cat canyon anymore. Instead it goes up Moore cutoff and on up to what I guess is the south end of Skyline Drive. ?? -al
  9. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like mentioned earlier between Salina and Green River is just awesome! I used a GPS and tracks that I made from Sam's maps..you can buy Sam's tracks now though. I hate using roll charts and will ALWAYS use a gps and tracks. The country is very remote and if you go along an something happens you could be in real trouble. If you go alone get a SPOT or don't go..You simply have to get a gps. I am cheap and use a $160 Garmin Etrex 20. It does not have maps but you can install a 16 gig micro SD card in it and using free BaseCamp software download tracks into it. You can also get free maps for it from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/.
  10. fletch123

fletch123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the TAT two years ago. We had Sam's maps, roll chart, and gps tracks. Ended up only using the gps and need it mostly to find the beginning of Black Dragon and it came in handy figuring out the section from Salina to the beginning of the Piute trail only because of Sam's commitment to keeping as much dirt as possible. You find yourself riding down canal roads and such.
    You did say you were going to carry a Spot. Definitely a good idea. Just ask the guy who missed the little step up in Eagle canyon and went straight off a cliff. It is somewhere on you tube. I think it called Dude where's my bike.
    It is a good one and fortunately the guy survived it, but he had a friend there to help him.
  11. ALinUTAH

Oddometer:
  12. rockitman4x4

rockitman4x4 ol retread

Oddometer:
    You best stay on pavement or we'll be hearing about where they found your body on the 5 o'clock news. It's foolish to think you can travel this part of the country without some type of way to get help when you drop your bike and twist your leg or break an arm. This ain't Kansas anymore. Miss plan your fuel needs due to the sand and you're in for a bad trip. I know a guy who came to a spot in the trail that he couldn't get his KLR up and he spent 2 days working at it. But he was several miles south of I-70. Good luck kid. Oh and cell phones work great out here, for playing tunes. :rofl
  13. shasta650

shasta650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay home watch the news ! Stop @ 3 step hideaway south of Moab ,, Scott's very helpful