Whats the deal with maps???

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rossphoto, Jan 18, 2008.

1. rossphoto

rossphoto GDTRFB

Oddometer:
    I am finalizing all my plans and a basic route before I hit the road and I have noticed on three different maps there many different numbers for the same roads. I am told Guia Roji is the most accurate for Mexico. Is it easy to pick reliable maps for other CA countries when I arrive or should I order decent maps before I go? Oh and which maps are most accurate for CA?
  2. Fulano

Fulano Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Get the maps stateside, as only the large cities will have them, CA maps are available at most chain bookstores. Yes, Guia are the best you are going to find.
    Third world maps show the roads that the goverment WANTS to build not necessarily what is. They are also updated infrequently so the last mud slide could have wiped them away. Also beware of local directions, the people, while friendly and helpful are very provincial. They spend their whole lives in the village and have very limited knowledge of anything more than a days walk away.
    That's why they call it Adventure, so enjoy.
    Try this link for better info: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/
    Also here for more maps: http://www.mapsco.com/mapscoproducts.aspx/
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    www.omnimap.com

ITM for all C/A countries other than Costa Rica, where Nat'l Geo is suggested as being best.

The road numbers....it's a game. :D
  4. Roadslayer

Roadslayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And if you have room pack three different maps. I'm a map nut. Don't believe in GPS. With two or three maps you can get a pretty good idea of what 'might' be there. Just a thought. What's a couple a'bucks?

'Cheers' Roadslayer:deal
  5. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    In reality, you may not find too many opportunities to use the road numbers as reference as much as where they go to.

Mexico is still developing the "interstate system" that you are accostumed, and when i started traveling in Mexico I even thought that i was lost all the time, stoping numerous times to confirm my heading by means of asking to the local people "what is the next town?".

GPS may help sorting out, and even the Bicimapas has conflicting road numbers with reality, but not with the name of the towns.

One useful way to orientate myself is the following; while having my after dinner coffee, i make a comprehensive list of every town i see on the map in which i have to transit through; in that manner, there is no confusion about what is my desired destination.

Even if you are not proficient with the language, you can always point at the list to a local and he can point you to your desired direction.

I hope this helps.
  6. rossphoto

rossphoto GDTRFB

Oddometer:
    Yes... I have plenty of room. I am in fact packing a couple for each country...

My only problem there is I will be drinking after dinner beer... Actually thanks. Good Idea...
  7. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:

... "the gilr acrozz teh r00m is sendin' meh signlas ... " is one of my favorite towns
  8. rossphoto

rossphoto GDTRFB

Oddometer:
    Miiinnne toooo oo! :freaky
  9. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    I agree with Roadslayer, I'm a map nut too, actually my wife is too. When the wife and I rode our KLR's through Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Belize a year ago, I had mutliple maps and don't regret the space the maps took. Next November, the wife and I are heading back to Mexico/Central America with the hopes of making it to the Panama Canal and the other Central American countries we missed. Some of last years maps are a little tattered and I will be replace them with new maps, ready to be used well again.