August OBDR takers?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by killowatt, Mar 1, 2012.

1. killowatt

killowatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on riding the OBDR this year and looking for others that may be interested in joining up. I had made an attempt last year but it just refused to work out. I have been considering a solo attempt but mamma is none to happy about it, besides it always more fun with a friend.
    I am thinking August but September may work as well.
    So if you want to put a trip together or need to add one to your collection...

thanks,
    Killowatt
  2. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    Which route? If you are riding route 5, I think having a partner in crime is a very good idea. nothing like an extra pair of hands to help you recover your bike after a mid stream fall in the Malhuer...DAMHIK

went last year, but have a good time! its a great route.
  3. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:
    Last week August or first week Sept.? I'm IN! Already did it last year, and had such a fantastic time. I would definitely be into doing it again. Only thing I'd like to change is make it 7 days instead of 5. You are going much later than we did, so maybe a whole different scenery. What's your route plan? What are you planning on riding? I would not recommend a solo trip, but I would not recommend throwing bullets into a campfire either and I've done that. SO......... Let's go.

John
  4. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
    If I don't have a solid job by then, I'm in. I'm no navigator. I ride an XR650R. My mom worries a lot also but now she will just say " isn't that dangerous" or "can't you do something else," and then accept that I will be on my way. Bless her soft heart, I'm only making stronger.:D
  5. killowatt

killowatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    asrvivor,
    I have read your crews ride report a few times. looks like a great bunch of guys!
    I could do either week you suggested. I just want to set a date so I can turn in the vacation requests.
    my only plan is to travel light, and make camp when tired. I have a KTM 530 set up with Giant Loop bags (thanks Wachs) and a 6-1/2 gal tank.
    Now that your a veteran, what direction would you travel the second time around?
    Would you ride from home or transport your bike?

Jungle Man,
    hope you can make it too. It would be nice to go with veterans.

Killowatt
  6. hvman

hvman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I,m not working this year from May till ?, if ever. Please keep me informed of the dates, I would like to make the ride!
  7. asrvivor

Oddometer:

Well, Let me take a hard look at the dates. I think last week of August is going to be preferable. I know Jesse wants to go, so 2 that have done it before will make for easier navigation hopefully. I do have the tracks from last year and they were absolutley perfect. I think I'd do same route. Start by riding down to Lakeview, then head north. It didn't take us long to get down there, and the ride was georgous. The only concern I can think of is the first couple days of sand and ruts is really tiring, if we start from Lakeview. I wouldn't mind trying the route from further west (can't remember which it's called). Your KTM is perfect for this. And yes traveling light is good. I took to much last year. Of course this year I was thinking either the new trailer, or taking a Ural. Both are pefect for this ride. The water should be lower at these dates. The dust will be worse, but we know what to expect and can prepare better. Will get back next week with firm timing. My guess is there will be a few that jump on board too. Need to keep it less than 5 though. And if that is too many for you, (as this is your plan and I'm not wanting to step on toes), we can just do 3 or 4 of us. Pefect...... John
  8. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Lake Delintment, where we camped after the Great Sandy Desert Day, was 31 miles North of Riley,
    which was the last gas stop before everybody started running out of gas, before we made it to Seneca.
    This was the longest stretch between gas stops.

Neither Riley, nor Seneca, both just one-stop towns, offered Super or Ethonol-free.
    Our friend? at the Bearcat Lodge will get you some Super if you call ahead......

And yes.....I'm....:ear
  9. asrvivor

Oddometer:
    Oh man, If Jeff goes again I'm taking just a change of underwear. We can carry everything we need including gas to last a month in the Applejam Valdeez. :lol3

Seriously though, Jeff and Jesse coming would truly make a memorable experience again. I hope this works. I have re-read our ride report many times, and enjoy remembering every moment. Even the sand and ruts. The exchange between Ernie and one of the guys sticks most in my head. "what did you see today?" "2RUTS" :lol3:lol3

Dam it was good couple weeks!!! :clap:norton:D
  10. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've heard the longest stretch is about 120 miles. Was that your experience?

I'd like to hook up with you guys for part of it.
  11. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I think it was more than 180 miles or so. Maybe 200. Waaaaay over 120, for SURE.
    I didn't get gas in Riley, as I had plenty and wanted Super, and could afford to hold out.

Then.... I had to give s1marks my spare full 1-1/2 litre bottle,..... then Max gave him his full 1 gallon RotoPax......
    AND ....had to siphon a gallon out of my Safari tanks just to get Mr Lightening into Seneca.

Sweeeeet memories, indeed
  12. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Yep. Even the sand and ruts.
    When I was done last year, I told myself I'd slab right past that freakin' desert next time,
    and wait for y'all at Lake Delintment with a bottle and a fishing pole :lol3.

But, like you, I read that GREAT collective RR many times, and.......
    ......I'd do that desert with you fuggers again......in a heartbeat.
    But with a CamelBack this time :deal

I gots me a steering stabilizer, now :D
    ..... I hear that's the shit in the sand.
    It certainly works sweet in the rocky/nasty.
  13. mrmagoolin

mrmagoolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sumpter to Starkey was the longest gas at about 180 miles. That was because Granite was closed on the day we went thru.
  14. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    Don't say this to me .........

2010 - we went through a fair portion of route 3 /4 I believe ..... and it was great except Mother Nature didn't hold up her end of the bargin.

So yes, which route are you thinking ???????

G.

P.S. - whether this or something else, I'd love to ride with ya Dan. :beer
  15. killowatt

killowatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When in July are you heading out? I am also planning a little five day ride from June 29th-July 4th that ties all the routes together. Sisters, prineville, Seneca, Xmas valley, crescent junction, and back to sisters. If the timing worked out I could hook up with you guys from Seneca to Christmas valley.
  16. killowatt

killowatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The stabilizer is a prerequisite for any bike I ride now. After riding with one you won't ever want to ride without it. It has saved my butt more than once when hitting that unexpected wash out or sand trap.
    BTW, the desert around christmas valley is some of my favorite riding country. Lots of nothing for a long way.
  17. killowatt

killowatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For august I'm looking at route 5 end to end.
    In July I am looking at Connecting all 4 routes into a loop. I did the crown jewels (route3?) a couple of years ago from hoodo down to diamond lake over the 4th of July. The only hiccup was snow just past three creeks that forced me into bend and up sky liner road to pick up the track near tummalo falls. I could of made better time if I hadn't stopped at my brothers house in tummalo and helped him check the potency of a bottle of crown.
  18. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Were thinking we're going to try to center it around the 4th of july so we can take less time off from work. I'll get dates straight and hit ya with a PM.
  19. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I'll be following this to see if you end up needing another bike or two.
  20. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Killowatt, when are you planning this? I have the week of the 4th off and have 9 days to "look for trouble".