A Northern British Columbia Day Ride: Prince Rupert..

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dukedinner, Apr 22, 2007.

1. dukedinner

dukedinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I have been having such a great time viewing everyone else's pics I thought I had better send in a few of the area I ride in. I live in Prince Rupert, B.C, which is at the mouth of the Skeena River and just below the BC/Alaska border. We live right on the ocean so SEAFOOD is a big deal here!

Today I went out towards the Skeena River...come along for the ride...

I started in town at the floats...grabbed a coffee and made sure the bike was ready to go..

[​IMG]

We have a great marina here...

[​IMG]

On the way out of town, I stopped by Butze Rapids...the tide reverses through here two times a day...up to 24 foot tides..

[​IMG]

So I cruised out of town towards Ridley Island and followed the road down to its end.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next stop was Port Edward, as small community just outside of Prince Rupert. Here is a salmon seine boat tied up at the Aero Fisheries dock..

[​IMG]

Down the road towards Inverness Passage on a sidearm of the main Skeena River...lots of history here and lots of old salmon canneries ...a great ride on a winding, narrow road...

[​IMG]

A historical sign...

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/d/dukedinner_11.jpg

Almost at the end...

[​IMG]

I pulled into North Pacific Cannery for a rest...lots of ghosts here!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wondered if my KLR would fit in this bus parked near the entrance to the cannery!

[​IMG]

Looking up the Skeena...

[​IMG]

Time to head back home...before it rains!

[​IMG]
  2. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Cool! We'll be in P.R. for a night (June 29th) waiting for the AKMH to Juneau. Maybe we'll see ya there!
  3. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hello, :D

I'm just around the corner on the other side of the coast in Kitimat.. Let me know if you are ever up my way, I might have to head your way to break in my Dakar this week. :D

Thanks for sharing,
    Rick :D
  4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Ah, the sweet memories. The best place I've ever vacationed in the world. I'm half Tsimshian Indian and my ancestors are from that area and Old Metlakatla, BC. Granted it was years ago when the economy was really strong and everyone was doing well. Coming down from Alaska, it was also the first place girls ever came up and asked ME to dance. :D BC=Beautiful Country.

The book 'Challenge The Wilderness' by Robert Tomlinson is one of my favorites on the area. It's about one of the first "white" families into the area. Anyone heading up the highway through the Hazelton/Prince Rupert area on their way up to Alaska would probably enjoy this entertaining and romantic historical novel. Here's a little synopsis of it: http://www.abcbookworld.com/?state=view_author&author_id=3773

I'm planning on coming through Rupert myself near the end of July on my way to Metlakatla, Alaska to celebrate "Founder's Day." It's the celebration about much of the Tsimshian tribe following Father Duncan from Old Metlakatla across the water from Prince Rupert to "New" Metlakatla near Ketchikan, Alaska. Mark H.
  5. dukedinner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments. Yeah, its a good place to live. Good fishing and outdoors stuff, plus just a short ride up HWY 16 to Terrace and beyond (Kitimat too Kildala2000!), and the ferries to the Queen Charlotte Islands, Vancouver Island etc are great. It has been a long winter with lots of snow, so nice to get out riding. Anyone coming through Rupert, drop me a pm and we can do beers etc!!:1drink

Thanks for the book ref AKduc...I go past Metlakatla a lot when heading out fishing...that old church Duncan and the people of Old Metlakatla built back in the late 1800's was sure something!
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm working on fixing your photo links so they "hotlinked" to your report.

In the future, just click on the Insert Image icon (yellow box with a mountain in the foreground) and insert your image's address, which ends in .jpg in that box.

Very easy!

Looks great :thumb
  7. KLRNorth

KLRNorth Investor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great to see some pics of the backyard. I have the same bie and find it perfect for this area. I am changinf valves and finishing up some pre summer maintenance before it gets too nice up here. Too much snow this winter and I am jonesin' to ride. Maybe we can go for one someday this summer. Maybe Kitsault....that's fun but I had to drop n' drag my bike under the fence.....I would gladly do it again. Keep 'em coming and ride on.:freaky
  8. Deadly

Deadly Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    I hope to get into that area someday. I was going to try and go threw BC next year but Im going to be trying to buy a second bike which will use up all of my funds for a while.
    Thanks for the photos and report they are great! :clap
  9. dukedinner

Oddometer:
    Hey Gadget, thanks for fixing my pic links...this was my first pic post and not quite sure which buttons to press! Also nice to hear from some guys around the area..there are not too many of us!!
  10. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey, :D

This is it, we are starting a new chapter of the ADVriders in the north. Kitimat, Terrace & Pr Rupert. :clap We have a gang..

Ride Safe,
    Rick. :D
  11. KLRNorth

Oddometer:
    I would love to get together with some fellow ADV riders up here and have some good rides this summer. Most people I know just ride dirtbikes here and don't go far so I usually end up alone! Last ride last year and first one with a buddy was Telkwa Pass....It was also the best ride. Anyhow anytime with a bit of notice and I am in for a weekend camp out or just a boot around let's make 'em all jealous south of here!:1drink
  12. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Great Pics. I'm coming up that way this summer to visit a friend in Masset. I'd like to see some pics of Telkwa pass.
  13. kairo

kairo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Neat pics! My family has a condo in Tahsis if you're familiar with that little town. Fishing has always been a big part of our life. I can't wait to get up there with the KLR and do some riding around on the logging roads. I've explored a number of them in my truck, but I think the bike would be much more fun.
    Planning on riding up there from Reno this summer if I can swing it :freaky
  14. KLRNorth

Oddometer:
    Tried to upload a few from Telkwa Pass but I dunno how, I shrunk the image size and quality but it will only accept one picture at a time. Any hints?
  15. KLRNorth

Oddometer:
    won't even show the whole pic?
  16. dukedinner

Oddometer:
    Hi Kairo...I know the Tahsis/Gold River (Van. Island) area well as I grew up in Campbell River. Lots of great riding on the Island. We see a lot of riders taking the ferry to Prince Rupert from Port Hardy on Vancouver Island every summer...some are meeting the Alaska State ferry in Rupert to continue on to Alaska...some are coming to catch a ferry to QCI, and others are heading out Hwy 16 to head up the Cassiar Hwy (37) and on to the Yukon/Alaska that way, or on through to Prince George to continue a BC tour. I always like seeing the different riders coming through town every year!! Everybody is always STOKED about their trips!!

KLRNorth...I hope you can post full pics of the Telkwa Pass..that is a trip I want to do...too many trips, not enough time!! :cry