APRILIA TUONO OWNERS, others welcome

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MCmad, Jun 5, 2009.

1. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
  2. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:

Hi Kramer !
  3. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here is my girl! Fantastic bike. Handling is super stable and precise. I fitted an Öhlins to the rear but left the front standard. She has never let me down for the 25000 km we have done together :D
    MATSAR likes this.
  4. AIrey1507

AIrey1507 Aspiring Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    How is the reliability/maintenance on them? Are they virtually bulletproof, or do you find them in the shop (or in the garage for home-wrenching) often?
  5. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Welcome Eddie Nice bike , I have a problem with my bike which is that I keep wanting to ride it :D

out of interest what difference did the Ohlyns make

AIrey, na its not a high mantenece Ducati thing , think of it as a Italian Honda and youl get the Idea
  6. Jody H

Jody H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zero problems in 7000 miles.
    I plan on doing a "Border to Border" "Iron Butt" ride on my Tuono this September.

Well... there is one small issue.
    The damn front tire hardly ever touches the ground.

[​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  7. Jody H

Jody H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apples and oranges.
    The Adventure and the Tuono are complete opposites on the biking scale.
    The Adventure is a big, soft, mile eating dirt bike that's great for... adventuring.
    The Tuono is an angry, obnoxious hooligan that's great for terrorizing the neighborhood and embarrassing sportbikes in the twisties.

[​IMG]
  8. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Jody Im sure this is a factory fault as Its sounds like all Tuono owners have same problems.
    Sometimes it troubles me when I riding along minding my own bussiness being a good boy at the speed limit 100kph ( 63mph )
    and I know that if I so wished that I could down shift to second yank the throttle and the wheel will imediatly lift off the ground and it does the same at about 140 in third , very disturbing:wink:

Ive never seen more than 8000rpm in first after that the bike would flip over

Am jelous of you trip to come I expectind to do similair in a few year you must Love rideing the Tuona as I would have thought as you said the 990 would be the softer option

Regards 990 adventure Im thinking I may add one to my stable for my mellow days though im still unsure about the sharp fueling and may go to the carbed 950 also my mate has a 950 and he swear by its good handling is it close to the Tuono or is he bragging,
    My DR800 may need retiring soon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. immortal

immortal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well...
    gonna try my luck with the terrible fuel range to Alaska.
    I've been enjoying the Tuono for a few weeks now, and can squeeze 200K from a tank, with an open road and some aggressive riding, but otherwise behaving in a lawful manner. Brilliant bike. Love the sound, the feel and the fact that is a rather uncommon bike (service and parts aside, can still be a pain when all parts are a week or 2 away)
  10. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Luckily, you've got access to a good tech in the form of Nicola.
  11. Whip

Whip Onward through the fog

Oddometer:
    T-POWER
    [​IMG]
  12. MGN54

MGN54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always liked the Tuono! Nice pics, guys. I'm not too far from AF1 Racing. What can one expect to pay for a valve inspection/adjustment? I think I could handle the rest.
  13. RoteEddie

Oddometer:
    The Öhlins makes a huge difference. Especially if you ride on bumpy roads like I do. It is incredibly sensitive and combines firmness and compliance in a perfect way. The original feels like an overworked pogostick in comparison.

Reliability is first class. There is also a 4 year warranty should anything go wrong. There are a few issues that are well known: rear brake needs a bleed every month, the display is prone to condencing.

I also have a BMW HP2 MM. Both bikes can do most of the same things, but the feel is totally different. The MM is more comfy, has more punch and handles better in the tight stuff. I love both bikes very much!:1drink
  14. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, the dealer is telling me it is a 2 year warranty- I'll ask him again. So what is the hot header- silencer set up for these. I think I've seen 3 different brands besides stock.
  15. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Welcome immortal, did my first lot of cummuting today Tuono was great in traffic lots of control and plenty of grunt to punch into holes in the traffic , O and one nauty wheely at 85kph on motorway to show off to a hotted up ute driver , fuel light flashed at 155kms and I filled it at 165kms it took 15litres so I had 3litre left enough for another 33kms so were looking at 198kms stone dry with mixed riding about 60% highway at 110kph the rest round town
    [​IMG]
  16. RoteEddie

Oddometer:
    Original headers are ok. Slip-ons get rid of the cat and needs only activation of Map 2 already installed in the ecu. Engine performance is a lot better in this state.

I have Arrows on mine, but Akrapovic, Shark, Leo Vince etc all make great cans for the T. It really sounds like thunder :D
  17. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    I knew you still thought about your Tuono!! I still think about the black one I sold - should have kept it for a commuter.
  18. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    690 SMC is awesome if you only ride on twisty roads. it's so light I can ride all day and not get tired.

tuono/RSV - VERY stable in turns. EASY to ride fast. allows you to endure straight and bumpy roads.

superduke R - VERY stiff. I have yet to dial in the suspension. it does not give me the confidence RSVR does. FI is OK once mapped and O2 removed.

19. dwenglis

dwenglis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finished my engine run-in today :rofl. If the weather holds tomorrow I will explore the upper rpms. yea to me!
  20. IndianJoe

IndianJoe Little Lebowski Achiever

Oddometer:
    If I ever have room for a second bike, it will be a Tuono. They are just too cool for school.